An introduction to Beyond Good and Evil. 16th Oct - 13th Nov

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An introduction to Beyond Good and Evil. 16th Oct - 13th Nov

According to Wikipedia a cult classic video game is one that usually garnered limited sales figures but attracted a loyal fanbase and earned generally great reviews from the press. They might have had a limited production run due to poor public interest, which can be the direct result of a lack of marketing when the game was released, more often than not during a crowded release period, or they may not have been released in every region. One thing that the majority of cult classics do have in common is that they feature a visual style, storyline or game mechanic that is out of the ordinary.

Beyond Good and Evil is one such game. Released originally on the Playstation2 in the busy christmas period of 2003, it was overshadowed by its stablemate Prince of Persia Sands of Time. A slight delay in the US followed by a three month delay in the UK launches of the Xbox and Gamecube versions did the game no favours in the market place, even though it garnered critical reviews from the majority of publications and websites (we gave it 7/10 ? our main criticism being its short length, and the lack of replayability, something we would like to disregard for the duration of this Relay Appreciate period haha).

Originally intended as the first part of a trilogy, the poor impact the game made in the marketplace put paid to those plans, even though fans of the game live in perpetual hope that the trilogy will be finished one day (BG&E fans are almost as fanatical as Shenmue fans in their hopes for the series to run its originally planned course).

BG&E is an action adventure in the mould of Zelda, there are dungeons to explore and puzzles to solve, but scattered amongst these are racing, shooting and stealth elements. All of this is crammed into one of the most cinematic experiences that the last generation had to offer, in fact Peter Jackson has stated that the cinematic experience of BG&E was the prime reason that the King Kong license went to Ubisoft. It is a game that deserves to be the main franchise of any publisher, instead of being relegated to the ranks of marketing mis-fires.

Beyond Good and Evil is a cinematic epic without the epic length of time to complete, the average gamer can easily see the end credits with a solid weekend of playing. It?s the perfect example of what developers can achieve with a strong storyline, characterisation and gameplay, without it once becoming a chore.

We hope that you agree with us in saying that this is a good game with which to launch the Relay Appreciate forum, and enjoy the experience whether it is your very first time or a long awaited revisit to the world of Jade, Pey'J and the city of Hyllis.
    Last edited by John Beaulieu; 05-10-2006, 09:34.

Please note that there is a bug in the game whereby sometimes, your sidekick (gained later in the game) disappears. You can hear him, but that's all. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it's well worth cycling through savegames just in case! Keeping just 1 savegame is asking for trouble.
    Last edited by charlesr; 05-10-2006, 11:09.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
      Keeping just 1 savegame is asking for trouble.
      Not if you play like Frank West.

That does sound like a nasty bug to me though. Why do they never release patches for these sort of (inexcusable) errors on later print runs?

Comment

Awesome choice as I've yet to play it and my Cube is needing some love!!

Comment

just ordered the ps2 version...?10 from play.com

it better be worth it

Comment

Saw this in MVC once for some stupid price - ?3 and for some crazy reason didn't buy it. Anyone know if the high street shops are selling this cheap at the moment (any format bar PC) as I'll take a detour on the way home.

Comment

Is there any reason not to buy the PC version?
              Then I'm able to play while I'm at work (ahem)...

Comment

no reason not to buy the pc version (you can get it for around a fiver) - if a game is multi-format then we don't care which format you play it on, as long as you play it and join in the Relay Appreciate

Comment

So does the xbox version play ok on the 360?

Comment

If it does I'd be tempted to pick it up and play through again. I unfortunately sold on my GC version after finishing it as these days I can't afford to horde

A warning for people that like to finish their games 100%: make sure you're done collecting all the pearls (and ship parts? I forgot what else is in there) before you finish the storyline as the game ends and you can't go back.

Comment

its not on the backwards compatibility list for the 360.

Comment

My Nan has this for PS2 so I'll borrow it off her and join in the fun.

Comment

Originally posted by John Beaulieu
                          its not on the backwards compatibility list for the 360.
                          Nuts to that then. Still, I'm all up for discussing it. People having trouble finding the GC version cheaply: there's 2 on ebay at the mo around a fiver but they still have at least 4 days left.

Maybe we can help each other on this sub-forum with the more hard to find games, if we see a copy somewhere then pick it up and offer it through the sales forum or PM to someone looking for it?

Comment

Oops
                            Last edited by MattyD; 05-10-2006, 17:28. Reason: Hasn't started yet has it? lol

Comment

Working...
                            X