Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cycling / Bicycles Thread

Attention, forum cyclists, as I know there are a fair few of you:

Where/what/how/why/etc. do you ride? Any funny stories / anecdotes / etc?

I'm primarily a road cyclist, both in the sense that my main activity nowadays is commuting to and from work and in the sense that I prefer road cycling to mountain biking in general. At the moment I have an inexpensive but functional commuting bike, recommended to me as a 'you won't believe it's not total **** at this price' hot tip by a fellow cyclist (see here for a pic). I'm finding it interesting adjusting to my new hometown: Manchester is very flat, whereas north Florida is very 'bumpy': lots (and LOTS) of quite abrupt hills. This leads to plenty of 'legs falling off' moments, followed by all too short '30+mph' moments -- though there is this one downhill road on the way to work with a nice cycle lane where you can keep up high speeds for about 3-4 minutes, irritating cars on the main road by overtaking them!

I have one of these. It's a Marin Mill Valley 2005

I bought it last year and really love it. Taking up cycling was one of the best decisions ever! I went for a flat bar as I cycle in an urban environment so felt that it would be more suited to my style of riding.

I love hills as I feel it's a challenge to make it to the top, and as your fitness improves they become easier too.
    Last edited by Richard.John; 16-10-2006, 03:57.

Comment

I use to cycle quite abit, untill I broke my leg in bicycle accident. Used to enter competitions for cross country events and did long distance treks here and there. I would have liked to have tried downhill track events, but unfortunately I was too scardy poo at the time. plus the fact that my bank balance didn't allow me to invest in better equipment at the time so if anything got broke, it was a problem.

I should, actually I'd love too get back into the saddle, but I like to cycle with other riders instead of being a lone rider, (safety reasons too). Also in Japan I don't know anyone, or clubs or anything...

As for fitness I'd suggest to anyone they take up the sport, only problem I had other than a few broken bones and cuts, was numb nuts syndrome ....lol

*Peanuts may know well, but in Japan the average bicycle is not one for doing anything more than shopping or going to the train station, I do actually have a bike here, but it's got 3 gears and a basket upfront ...lol
      Last edited by Supergoal; 16-10-2006, 05:20.

Comment

There's loads of off-road cycle paths around manchester too, where abouts do you live and work? There's probably a cycle path not too far away.

Comment

Nice one on the bike thread idea.

I just got this yesterday:

Its the new GT Agressor XC.1. Was going to be getting a different bike but it went down in price and they brought out the new GT's which I am over the moon with now as I have an older GT Agressor too and love it, and I really like the triple triangle frame thing they do. Plus this bike is so much better than the one I was getting, hydraulic disc brakes front and rear, excellent Tioga tyres and even got branded rims which the other one didn't have. Diore gears are always welcome. And the suspension feels so much better too.

Was out for a bit last night with it, after adding on some front and rear lights. Need to either take it back in though to do some tweaks or do it myself as some of the gears are sticking a bit and I need to loosen the grip on the wheels as I can hear them rubbing with the brakes I think. I was in after they closed so they were rushing to get me out, I should have waited til today so we had time to go through it and make sure it was running fine before taking it home.

But its just minor things which I'll get fixed then everything will be excellent.

Comment

I have a '93 Clockwork Orange, which is perfect for London because it's rigid (lighter, faster), doesn't look new (less nickable), yet wins me lots of leetness points in bike shops. I also have a Kona but that's somewhere in California - all of my best crashes have been on that bike, which earnt me the nickname "Kona the Barbarian".

Comment

I have an Orange Evo2 (2002) with Pace forks, lovely bike...don't use it much tho

Comment

All the little niggles fixed, added front and read mudguards, positioned to look as mean and cool as possible while still protecting me from getting soaked!

Really adore my new bike, its just so good.

Comment

Riding up the Cat and Fiddle a couple of weeks ago. The picture makes the road look flat. It isn't.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I went out with a group of about 20 riders on Sunday. Coming down a hill at about 40 mph, one of the guys on the front had a puncture. He careered into the curb, hit a wall with his head, and was then catapulted into a farmers field. Or to be more accurate, onto a barbed wire fence that encircled the field. He managed to land straddling a fence post, sitting on barbed wire. It sounded like he'd punctured a lung, and looked like he'd broken an arm and a leg. Wasn't very pretty, but the emergency services were really quick to respond given me were a way from the nearest town. Not really a funny anecdote, but a bit of an eye opener for sure.

Comment

Pic attached! I ride it to work, 22.9 miles each way along the official cycle route N4. Ace ride, I love every minute! The bike is really fast, sturdy enough for the offroad bits without being crazy expensive or anything. Must get some toe-clips or something 'cos now it's getting a bit wet these days my feet don't grip as well as they should

Good time to link to the website, I reckon. The planet could do with more people riding their bikes, it's a shame the official routes aren't more heavily promoted. More cycle routes is also a good thing too!

No funny stories though! Got me a cycle computer 'bout a month ago so I spend all my time looking at the screen, competing against myself rather than look around for funny things
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Commander Marklar; 16-10-2006, 20:16.

Comment

Also, your council should have a map or at least link to Sustran too. Wokingham council sent my this massive fold out map with the entire Reading and Wokingham borough cycle routes+quite roads for nowt.

Comment

I wish there were more routes around - all the way along the Thames would be a perfect start. As it is I walk to work.

Comment

Marklar - invest in some clipless pedals and cycling shoes. The difference they make is huge once you get used to them.

Comment

Perhaps but I can't really justify the cost of cycling shoes to be honest (and pedals). Especially as I'm an all round kind of excerise fella and hit the gym as soon as I jump off the bike. If I had to change shoes too... well

Comment

Working...
                              X