NTSC-UK Import PlayStation 3 FAQ v2.0 [updated: 18/04/2007]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTSC-UK Import PlayStation 3 FAQ v2.0 [updated: 18/04/2007]

Where can I get a Japanese/American PS3 console?

NCSX – Japanese PS3.
    Video Games Plus – American PS3.

VG ship via DHL and the machine is usually delivered within a couple days. VG offer a brilliant service and a swift turnaround.

NCSX can ship via UPS should you choose this option, but it can prove to be quite expensive. Their service though, is fantastic.

Will I incur Customs/VAT etc?

In all probability, yes. Unless you've specified to a retailer to mark down the package, then look to pay in the vicinity of around £100.

Many users have had American PS3’s from VG unscathed by customs though.

So, what about the games, where can I get those?

Here's a brief list of reputable etailers that ship to the UK;

Tronixweb - American titles only.
    Video Games Plus - American titles only.
    NCSX - American & Japanese titles only.

Okay, I've bought a PS3, what sort of stepdown transformer do I need?

Despite a wealth of information existing on this particular subject, it transpired that you don't actually need one! A standard PC/Kettle lead (5 amp) will do the trick, since the PS3 has a 110v-240v power supply built in.
    We have confirmation from SCEA now that the power supply inside the Playstation 3 is, in fact, universal. The power supply supports 100 to 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hertz, which is useable in all modern power grids -- including Europe. Although European markers require a different physical plug for their infrastructure, there is no need to replace the power supply.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4908&ref=y

Will my old PS2 Component/RGB Scart work on a PS3?

Yep, should work fine!

What about the Dual-Shock 2, will that work?

There are a few USB converters that have been released, which allow you to use a PS2 controller on a PS3.

Some work better than others mind...

Are PS3 games region-locked?

For the most part, no. There have been reports of the odd game not working though, however, this is belived to be attributed to a problem displaying PAL/NTSC signals via a Standard Definition TV.

What about old PS1/PS2 games?

Unfortuantely not, PS1/PS2 titles are region-locked.

Can I swap out the HDD for something a little bigger?

Yes you can, as long as it's a SATA 2.5" HDD.

Okay, I wanna watch some of these new Blu-ray films, what's the deal?

Unlike Toshiba's region-free HD-DVD's, Blu-ray does make use of region-coding. Both Japanese and American PS3's share the same region (A1), therefore American Blu-ray DVD's will work quite happily on a Japanese machine and vice versa.

Here's a brief breakdown of the Blu-ray Regions;
    A1 - North America, Central America, South America, Korea, Japan and South East Asia.

B2 - Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

C3 - China, Russia, Central and South Asia.

So, will American Blu-ray's work on my PAL PS3?

Nope, there are however, region-free discs. An extensive list of which, can be found here - http://bluray.lindsite.dk/

Can I sign-up for a JPN/US/UK PlayStation Network (PSN) account?

Yes, you can. You are able to download free content from any of your PSN accounts - and you can access it via your other PS3 profiles too.

Okay, what about premium content, can I download that?

Yes and no. If you have access to a Mastercard, then you can download premium content from any of your PSN accounts. However, if you only have a credit/debit card that isn't Mastercard, then your out of luck I'm afraid and can only purchase content from your country of origin.

What can I find on the PlayStation Network?

Here you go

"I've got the NTSC-U Motorstorm and my friend has the PAL one, can I race against him?"

At the moment, no. This is because quite a few online-enabled PS3 titles are restricted to their country of origin. So for example, PAL Motorstorm owners can only play other PAL owners... at the moment.

I've heard the Japanese version of Resistance: Fall of Man is cut, is this true?

Yes it is, only in that, there is no blood in the Japanese version of the game. You can get round this however, by sourcing either a US or PAL save and copying it to your PS3, which will "reinstate" the blood.

Will a USB Keyboard/Mouse work with my PS3?

Yes it will, since the PS3 uses standard USB drivers.

"I'm far too rich and have own more than one PS3, are the Hard Drives interchangeable?"

No they're not, as soon as you switch them over the PS3 will prompt you to format the drive.

Can the 60GB PS3 accept the same memory sticks as the PSP?

Yes it can.

I've downloaded premium content for the JPN/US version of Game X, will it work with the UK one?

Yes and no. It appears to be on a game-by-game basis/

Mononokehime316uk - I think I can answer this one the answer is no. I have the Pal version of Genji and it does not allow the use of outfits from the Japanese store. I also have the Japanese version of Ridge Racer 7 and while it of course works fine with content from the Japanese store, content from the UK store does not work.

C' - ...regarding add-on game content, I have downloaded the Decal Packs for Ridge Racer 7 from the UK store and they work perfectly fine with my US copy of the game.

Are PlayStation Store Cards available yet?

Not to my knowledge. Anyone?

Are the PS3 accessories (Sixaxis, Bluetooth Remote etc.) region-locked?

Nope.

Is there a VGA cable available yet?

Sadly not.

I'm using a Standard Definition TV (SDTV), can I run JPN/US/PAL software on my JPN/US/PAL PS3?

I'll explain as best I can; PAL PS3's do not support 480i/p, so they cannot run in 60Hz. Similarly; NTSC PS3's cannot run in 576i/p.

It's been reported that some PAL PS3 titles won't work on an NTSC machine since they've been encoded at 576i. Similarly, the same problem has arisen with certain free demo content.
    Last edited by Bleeders; 18-04-2007, 10:51.

Very helpful

Comment

Bleeders. You the man. Add a link to the backwards compatability list on the sony site.

Comment

Worth mentioning blu-ray playback? Compatibility between US/JP systems; UK/US BR DVDs, etc? I don't actually know but assume others may want to.

Comment

Ta' mate, all done.

I need some help with the setting up of an account to get online (JPN/US) if anyone can shed any light, please?

Comment

Nice FAQ.

I hope it won't be the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if SCEE lock out the region free function present on and between Japanese and US systems. Any credible sources for these rumours?

Comment

I'm going on a link from Audiocubes, who apparently were told PAL PS3's wouldn't run NTSC software, apparently.

Comment

I dunno if it's been confirmed a US machine doesn't require a stepdown yet though mate, you might wanna amend that 'til we hear from someone who's definitely tried it.

Unless we have and I just missed it.

Comment

How about Marketplace? Can I use my UK credit card on a jap machine?

Comment

I can answer my own question now. WIth a JAP or US machine, you can access both the JAP and US Stores. You cannot pucrhase anything with a UK Credit Card.

It looks like we'll be able to access the UK store when it launches in March (eta), and use our CC there.

You can still dl demo's, free content etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Stebbo
                      I can answer my own question now. WIth a JAP or US machine, you can access both the JAP and US Stores. You cannot pucrhase anything with a UK Credit Card.

It looks like we'll be able to access the UK store when it launches in March (eta), and use our CC there.

You can still dl demo's, free content etc.
                      how did you set-up your account? Obviously you cant select UK from the region list on the very first screen which is OK. Until that is it asks for your home address!!

I'm not sure what I should do here seeing as I live in the UK!! Can you tell me what I need to do to bypass this screen.

Thanks

Comment

I vaguely remember I selected North American, could be wrong though...

Apparently you can use a UK CC to put fund in your wallett to spend in the US and JAP store - I'll be trying this as soon as this update finishes installing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleeders
                          Can I swap out the HDD for something a little bigger?

Yes you can, as long as it's a SATA 2.5" HDD.
                          Is the 2.5 a laptop HDD?

Comment

Just a couple of points regarding regional protection of movie discs as far as I unserstand it, (I may have got the wrong end of the stick you understand). But basically, there will be regional coding on Blu-Ray discs in the future, just not all of them. This will apply mainly to new titles, as most companies won't add them to back catalogue titles. Currently titles from the USA, although a different region, will still currently play on a UK machine but this will change. The only reason that HD-DVD titles are region free is that they have yet to sort out the software to region encode the discs. As soon as that is sorted both formats will prevent you from buying discs from other regions.

Comment

Can anyone link to the UK plug I'll need for a US PS3? (just to make sure I get the right one) And possibly recommend where I can pick one up from in town.

Comment

Working...
                              X