The Wire - US Cop/Gangster Show!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wire - US Cop/Gangster Show!

Its on its fourth season in the states and I've only just seen 3 episode of the first, but DAMN!!! How have people been sleeping on this show for so long? Or is everybody watching it and selfishly keeping it on the low?

I could gush right now about the plot, characters, dialogue, way its shot, sets and wardrobe even - but all I'm gonna say at this point is go check out the first season box set. Mate lent it to me and I ended up forsaking my beloved Gears watching 3 episode back to back last night.

THE **** IS DOPE!!!

All the cast are quality but these two guys have some serious character going on!!

Last edited by spagmasterswift; 24-11-2006, 15:13.

not seen it myself, but will check it out thanks.

Comment

I'm sure that E4 showed season 1 a while back and it was totally tits and I've have been waiting for it's return for some time but seemingly to no avail ft:

Comment

I've heard nothing but amazing things about this show. When I finished watching Homocide on dvd, it was a toss-up between this and The Shield. I went with The Shield but I fully intend to get this on dvd and watch it from start to (eventual) finish at some point.

Comment

The mate who lent me the Season 1 box set is also a fiend for The Shield but I've not got around to checking that out yet. Will take a look after I've watched this, gonna have to do a couple of episodes tonight and some tomorrow morning to get my fix. Its not major cliff hanger stuff, but so beautifully structured with a whole bunch of really likeable and more importantly 'watchable' characters!

Get watching it people, I need to start chattin!!!

Comment

I've seen the first 2 series and it's amazing.

I have the 3rd series and most of series 4 but am struggling to find time for it (damn you gears of war) but I highly recommend it to everyone.

Comment

I've seen the first two seasons and it's very good. The Shield pwns it though

Comment

Yeah I find The Shield is far better, though this is the only other TV show in the genre to come close.

Have only seen seasons one and two, as I'm struggling to find S3 at a decent price...and have been waiting for the UK release which suddenly disappeared.

Comment

The Shield and The Wire are like chalk and cheese, though: The Shield flaunts the "trappings" of realism (faux documentary, shakey cam etc) but it's about as naturalistic as Steven Seagal. It's all pop-cop Shakespeare/Machiavelli.

Which isn't to say it isn't fab, cos it is, but The Wire is absolutely stunningly slow-burning and the characterisation and miserably downbeat realism are irresistible, imo. If you like this, try Homicide (as has already been pimped). Same (ex-cop) dudes behind that too.

Comment

I've watched all four seasons of this over the last couple of months and all i can say is WOW why was this not a big thing over here.
                    S1 was really good i like how you get to know all the people in the show, and follow then throughout. very well made and i can't wait for S5 to come out.
                    DO NOT READ THE SPOILER UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN ALL FOUR SEASONS

not sure if S5 is been made but the way season 4 ended they can't leave it like that i need to see what happens ft: .
                    chris and snoop putting the bodies in the vacant houses what a great idea, and the way Avon gave up Stringer at the end

Comment

I've only seen the first season and a couple of episodes from the second, and it's by far one of the best shows I've ever seen.
                      The characters are brilliant and believable, and it's remarkably even-handed in it's treatment of both heroes and villains.

I've never seen The Shield, but I've heard great things about it.
                      I'll try to track it down after I finish rinsing The Wire.

Comment

Watched 4 episode so far today and thankfully its still fantastic, becoming too attached to all the characters though - whenever there is a dangerous situation I get the major fear. Would hate to lose anybody from this show Its amazing how the team comes together as the case develops and your opinions of certain characters change. Wonderful stuff

EDIT: Well thats the first season watched - total quality. The last few episode really got my emotions going NEED MORE!!!
                        Last edited by spagmasterswift; 29-11-2006, 17:09.

Comment

And that?s the second one done. The first season was a really tough act to follow and by moving the story away from the projects and focusing on the shady goings on down at the docks it managed to keep things fresh and exciting. They could have so easily focused on McNulty as a man character but chose to make it truly an ensemble piece once again. At times it seems a tad contrived as the old team is pulled back together but the fantastic writing and acting more than makes up for that.

Looks like its gonna be back to the hood for season three - some unfinished business for the team

and my gayside gangster Omar

to look into Hopefully there will be more from Bubs too, so many wicked characters up in this show >_<

Comment

Racing through Season 3 and while it got off to a bit of a dodgy start trying to pack too much into the first episode (

McNulty's catchphrase "What the **** did I do" was badly shoehorned in

) its just brilliant. The Docks have been long forgot and now its all out drug war with loads of tension at all levels of the game. Some really great 'OH ****' moments so far that just jack you when you least expect it - too great to even risk putting in spoiler tags.

If Season 4 manages to maintain then this is the best TV series to come out of the states - no question.

I see they had Season 1 on DVD in HMV for ?50.99. WTF??? You can get it for half that on amazon so what are you guys waiting for??? You need to get up on this wire!!!

Comment

Still waiting for Season3 to come down to a reasonable price, even on Amazon it's &#163;50. UK release is early Feb I believe...

Spags, have you tried The Shield?

Comment

Working...
                              X