XBox Live problem via a Router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBox Live problem via a Router

Just been on the phone with my cousin who has been having a lot of grief setting XBox Live up on BT Broadband.

I've been through most of the step-by-step procedures with him, but sadly this hasn't resolved the issue. He doesn't own a PC, nor did he receive the ADSL modem BT Broadband usually supply, since this would be useless to him. He did however, go out to PC World and picked up a Zoom ADSL X3 Ethernet ADSL Router, which has been known to work with XBox Live and we're still getting the same old "IP/DNS could not be resolved..." messages.

Does the XBox MAC Address have to be registered with BT Broadband for it to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You need to configure the router with your ADSL account details (username and password), for which you'll need to connect it to a PC. It should explain that in the ADSL router manual.

You normally have to tell it whether to enable nat, dhcp etc., and sometimes even some details about ADSL itself (most uk units should be ok though).

You might be able do this without the router being connected to the phone line, so maybe he could take it to someone who has a PC and a network card?

Don't worry about the MAC address - ADSL just needs a properly configured router/modem with the username and password setup.

Comment

Cheers mate, will give that a try instead ^_^

Comment

Yeah, just hook it up to a PC with ethernet card (I think you need a standard RJ45, not a crossover cable). Just remember to take the instructions with you

Comment

I didn't need to do anything fancy with MAC addresses at all. It couldn't detect anything automatically, but all I had to do was type the info in manually

IP adress - something free on my router's internal subnet - your manual will tell you what this is. If the router presents itself to the internal network as 192.168.7.1 (like some do by default), then 192.168.7.x (where x is between 2 and 255, as long as your PC isn't using that) would work, for instance.

Gateway - whatever your router is internally - 192.168.7.1 in the above example.

Primary DNS - whatever your ISP tells you it is. Same for the Secondary one.

Then it "just worked" for me. Piece of cake. No passwords, no MAC faking.

Comment

It's basically the config on the router, a friend of mine has BT BB with no PC, and I had to go round to his house with my laptop to conenct to his router and put in his BT account details.

After this, we didn't need to do anything on the Xbox, the router DHCP'd out it's own addresses to anything connected (i.e the Xbox) and the router DHCP'd the ipaddress, DNS, default router etc info from BT

Comment

Ahh, I've not setup the DHCP stuff on my router, which is why I did all that manually. Seemed easier to just type it in than bother, really.

Comment

It's all good fellas!

The problem was with the router not being configured, which has now been done and my cousin is a happy-chappy.

Thanks ^_^

Comment

Cool - glad to hear it. Like I said, I was pulling my hair out at my router configuration on Friday night, so I know it can be painful.

Comment

No offense but what's so complicated about configuring a router?

Comment

Well, for a start, Bleeders' friend was under the mistaken impression that Zoom's claims about autoconfiguration meant that it didn't need setup at all, which is an obvious stumbling block.

My problem was a weird username/password thing, and goodness only knows where the problem was for certain. I'm just glad its gone away.

And finally, if you've got any sort of firewall on the router itself, working out the port forwarding and what is safe to reveal seems to be a problem for some.

Comment

I guess I'm just lucky with all things computer related then. I plugger mine in, filled in 2 or 3 little boxes, set some port forwarding and it just "worked".

Comment

If your having probles with XboxLive connections etc, just go to the link below and it will give a list of all the possible problems, and give you the way to resolve it.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                          X