PDA

View Full Version : Toys for boys - or "Show us your Collectables"

John Beaulieu
03-02-2007, 10:47 PM
For the past couple of months I have been stocking up on toys for my new place - well, a friend called them toys when I personally call them the coolest things on the ****ing planet which are going to look sweet ;) - star wars clone wars maquettes, canvas zelda prints, classical movie posters, you get the drift ...

As you may have guessed, the friend in question is of the fairer sex (who may post in this thread with her disdain of my decor) so the question is - just why do we (as in guys) find **** like this just so damn tempting?

ps looking for more toys so please post away with anything you can think of :)

Eps
03-02-2007, 10:53 PM
just why do we (as in guys) find **** like this just so damn tempting?

I don't at all, to be honest. My place is totally devoid of posters, action figures, etc. They just don't appeal to me at all; even as a kid I wasn't really into posters. I never really saw the point.

Pavey
03-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Same,look naff. IMO

kernow
03-02-2007, 10:59 PM
expensive a/v equipment \\o

IanE
03-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Detesting posters recently, especially dickhead student ones. I don't mind one or two on a wall, but leaning more towards getting prints for the new place (decent canvas ones), one per wall max.

I like small plush things on a few shelves, but action figures are plain cringeworthy and yawnsome.

Cool stuff I do have: my TV, my monitor/PC, consoles, games etc, plus my red Fatboy, Vaio Vista laptop, Black MacBook, iPods, cameras, camcorders etc.

figflair
03-02-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm with you John but what the hell is a maquette????? :)

Pictures please!

John Beaulieu
03-02-2007, 11:10 PM
its not just action figures/posters etc which get categorised in this though, its anything which you might purchase which your wife/girlfriend/female friends would just classify as 'toys'

for example, mate of mine bought a new home cinema amp and speakers -got them home and wired up (before his wife got home from work). She hit the roof about them, saying he was buying more toys that he didn't need (he didn't have a speaker setup previously to this, and it wasn't as if the wolf was at the door in terms of their finances so he wasn't spending money they couldn't afford) - now this is something that he felt he needed, and which he wanted ... though admittedly he got one of the more expensive shiny setups in the shop ...

ps the maquettes in question (which started all of this ;))

http://www.blisterdirect.com/images-item-big/page-1670.jpg

http://www.blisterdirect.com/images-item-big/page-1752.jpg

Minx68
03-02-2007, 11:12 PM
ok....the "fairer sex" friend (thanx for that john) really dont understand the whole guys obsessed wit toys thing....kinda think its a waste of money...just to have sum plastic figure on some shelf. kinda like the 40 yr old virgin type thing. no offence ppl. see the interest in some toys...just not these!

figflair
03-02-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm loving those (especially the Leia one) where from and how much? :)

John Beaulieu
03-02-2007, 11:24 PM
it's not just 'some plastic figure on a shelf' though - its contemporary art work which is going to offset the minimalist design that I have in mind ... it adds colour and just looks different ;)

tbh I can't see the difference between having artwork/figures/plushes etc from subject matter which is relevant to me/our generation and the brasses and toby jugs my gran had in her house when I was younger ... at the end of the day its all subjective to the individual

also, its wrong of me to say this is only women claiming they are toys, for example I recently bought a new remote which lets me control all of my stuff from the one handset - my dad laughed at me buying more toys to play with, but guess who had the last laugh when he couldn't find his bloody sky remote :lol:

ps thanks for the 40 year old virgin jibe missie ;)

John Beaulieu
03-02-2007, 11:26 PM
figflair - play.com have them on sale at the moment

Minx68
03-02-2007, 11:30 PM
no probs ....its just if u want mimilist....why hav ne at all???? aint that sposed be about the plain and simple look....not stupid toys on shelves?!:)

Spatial
03-02-2007, 11:33 PM
That Boba Fett is totally kick ass.

I love this kind of stuff - my only problem is I don't have enough space for it all so it's best that I don't start collecting it.

You can also go way OTT and start cramming stuff in left right an centre. I know someone who did that with those cool Marvel busts. What started out as a bit of a showcase turned into a cluttered mess where nothing really stood out because it was all so overpowering.

I was eyeing up this little beauty a day or so ago (taken from one of the most radical and brilliant parallel Marvel Universes where all the superhero's are zombies).

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5084/d56011131a83vl9.jpg

:ph34r:

sj33
03-02-2007, 11:36 PM
While I don't really do figures (I'd be pulling my hair out deciding whether or not to take them out of the packaging!), my room is basically littered with things like special edition box sets of games or films I already own, or posters and wallscrolls.

On top of my anime unit, I've got my Resident Evil LE's. That's my RE4 GameCube, DS Limited Pack, Biohazard Sound Chronicle, Biohazard Collectors Box, various different Premium Editions and loads more. Collecting dust maybe, but it looks a damn cool to me, which is the main thing =P

Been on a JPop binge recently, I can see where that's going to end up...

John Beaulieu
03-02-2007, 11:38 PM
no probs ....its just if u want mimilist....why hav ne at all???? aint that sposed be about the plain and simple look....not stupid toys on shelves?!

Don't want it looking like a doctors surgery - so bits of colour here and there, something to catch the eye, to admire, to even have someone saying 'what the hell is that ****' - anything to break up what could be a boring room

I have been known to watch changing rooms in the past you know ;)

Minx68
03-02-2007, 11:40 PM
but changin rooms dont use plastic figures on shelves

they use colour in other ways.

maybe you should get a shed for ur toys

IanE
03-02-2007, 11:42 PM
http://www.blisterdirect.com/images-item-big/page-1670.jpg

Looks rubbish to me, I'd struggle for a place to put it in really.

I like cool functional things mainly, like Fatboys and TVs, not stuff that just sits there (especially if they're pricey).

Commander Marklar
03-02-2007, 11:42 PM
ok....the "fairer sex" friend (thanx for that john) really dont understand the whole guys obsessed wit toys thing....kinda think its a waste of money...just to have sum plastic figure on some shelf. kinda like the 40 yr old virgin type thing. no offence ppl. see the interest in some toys...just not these!

Just remember this when t'other way around comes about, that 'nice' arnamount or whatever 'nice' thing you want to stick in front of the TV.

Cool stuff? R/C, the DIY kits are ace. Then there's stupid things like the R/C Dalek and some bits of Lego, technique stuff especially. That's just my bit though, there's all kinds of 'junk' littered around that's most certainly very cool. The R/C car don't half shift, max speed ~25mph. It's also not finished, needs the spoiler and a few other bits. The photos don't do the colour/body justice though, it's super-metallic-shiny and very deep unless the light catches it where you can see the lighter shade/metallic effect.

sj33
03-02-2007, 11:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Shakey_Jake33/Picture21.jpg
Dust collectors?! o.o

Commander Marklar
03-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Teh lego battle droid 'cos I could only attach 3 photos.

Minx68
03-02-2007, 11:45 PM
commander dude...i aint into ornament things either...waste of money n just look stupid. alls they do is collect dust

Commander Marklar
03-02-2007, 11:51 PM
They you're not really a girl... or maybe you're a girl now and didn't used to be ;) I think most of us know what John is into :p

Minx68
03-02-2007, 11:53 PM
i fink its more the older woman who likes ornaments n stuff....display plates n pots. n i am female n always have been thank you very much. just i guess not the typical materialistic type!

John Beaulieu
03-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Looks rubbish to me, I'd struggle for a place to put it in really.

I like cool functional things mainly, like Fatboys and TVs, not stuff that just sits there (especially if they're pricey).

Curiously enough, my tv just 'sits there' and that was pretty pricey ... but thats just being argumentative for the sake of it ;)

My original idea was to have all my av equipment on show and nothing else but after a lot of thought on the matter I realised that would be bloody boring ... so I now am going to have a couple of maquettes which are offset into some floating shelves with a bit of backlighting, it breaks up the sterility of the room without going ott.

Miss Minx's ideal room.....

http://www.disasteradvice.co.uk/Images/CA1_CS4_7.jpg

Minx68
03-02-2007, 11:56 PM
my ideal room would be nothin like that

lots of fun, just not wit kids toys hangin around

kinda more sophisticated

IanE
03-02-2007, 11:58 PM
But a TV is functional, it does something. Figures just stand there doing nothing but being a waste of money. They might look alright to one person (i.e. you), but unlike a painting or something decorative, won't look very good to anyone else.

Minx68
03-02-2007, 11:59 PM
ian got the right idea!!!!!!!

not such a big kid!

sj33
04-02-2007, 12:00 AM
*doesn't decorate his house for other people* :P

IanE
04-02-2007, 12:05 AM
I'd rather live somewhere that I didn't feel embarrassed to live in when having guests around, especially if on business.

John Beaulieu
04-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Ian - all aspects of art are subjective to individual tastes, who is to say that a painting that you have on your wall will look better to other people than maquettes i have placed on shelves along my walls?

you are saying "the figures just sit there doing nothing" - what exactly does a painting do? Why can a figurine of any nature not be judged as decorative?

*doesn't decorate his house for other people*

spot on ......

IanE
04-02-2007, 12:13 AM
I am to say a painting would/does look better.

A painting makes the place look nicer (obviously depending on how the paint was applied), a figure looks childish to me. I can't wait to move out and buy my own place (student accomodation at the moment). A figurine of a film which has then been 'cartoonised' just looks terrible to me.

Minx68
04-02-2007, 12:16 AM
i think if i walked into a guys "pad" n saw loadsa figures like on shelves n lit up it wud be a huge turn off....id b out of there like a shot.

John Beaulieu
04-02-2007, 12:18 AM
I'd rather live somewhere that I didn't feel embarrassed to live in when having guests around, especially if on business.

Now this is just me (so might not be how someone else thinks) but I am secure enough in my own tastes that I am not going to feel embarrassed if someone comes into my place and dislikes anything that I have on show. For example (disregarding the figurines that you dislike so much), in the hallway as you come through my front door there is going to a 4ft by 3ft canvas print of a trainer, in my study there is going to be a canvas print of zelda ... at the end of the day, you surround yourself with objects you like and find pleasing to the eye - its you that lives with them day after day, and if some people don't like them then thats their problem and not yours.

Minx68
04-02-2007, 12:27 AM
tis up to u wot u do.....we just givin our opinions

John Beaulieu
04-02-2007, 12:29 AM
A painting makes the place look nicer (obviously depending on how the paint was applied), a figure looks childish to me. I can't wait to move out and buy my own place (student accomodation at the moment). A figurine of a film which has then been 'cartoonised' just looks terrible to me.

A figurine based on the artwork of Genndy Tartakovsky, one of the best cartoon artists in the world today (his other work includes Samurai Jack) ... once again it boils down to subjectivity, a fan of Tartakovsky's artwork will take pleasure in the figurine as much as a fan of whichever artist who's painting you have on your wall will take pleasure in that. You think the modelling of the figurine looks terrible, I think that you could not be further from the truth if you tried ... but thats just opinion isn't it

importaku
04-02-2007, 12:35 AM
Im with john on this one,

You surround yourself with things that You like, if your decorating your place for the benifit of other people who might come round then quite frankly i feel sorry for you. You should be doing it for yourself, not for others who might visit.

Taste is very subjective & everyone is unique, just leave it at that (^_^)

John Beaulieu
04-02-2007, 12:42 AM
i think if i walked into a guys "pad" n saw loadsa figures like on shelves n lit up it wud be a huge turn off....id b out of there like a shot.

to get to the room and notice the figures 'someone' would need to walk past the shelving full of games, past the bmx and the chopper in the hallway, ignore the vast quantity of erm human interest dvds and disregard the consoles on the entertainment unit ... if they can get past all that and then be put off by a couple of figures then I guess it was never meant to be

Pavey
04-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Can we end this thread with a promise to never get a display cabinet with glass doors,filled with Monkey Balls?

;)

IanE
04-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Im with john on this one,

You surround yourself with things that You like, if your decorating your place for the benifit of other people who might come round then quite frankly i feel sorry for you. You should be doing it for yourself, not for others who might visit.

Taste is very subjective & everyone is unique, just leave it at that (^_^)
Hahaha, taking sides? Bizarre. For me, putting cartoon figurines around a place I use for both pleasure and work would look stupid to me.

You'd feel sorry? Well I'd feel sorry for you feeling sorry for me wanting to have a professional looking place.

Ouenben
04-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Anyone else getting a headache from trying to read Minx68's posts or is it just me?

IanE
04-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Now this is just me (so might not be how someone else thinks) but I am secure enough in my own tastes that I am not going to feel embarrassed if someone comes into my place and dislikes anything that I have on show. For example (disregarding the figurines that you dislike so much), in the hallway as you come through my front door there is going to a 4ft by 3ft canvas print of a trainer, in my study there is going to be a canvas print of zelda ... at the end of the day, you surround yourself with objects you like and find pleasing to the eye - its you that lives with them day after day, and if some people don't like them then thats their problem and not yours.
So you're saying I'm not secure in my tastes? I just prefer not to have cartoon figurines on display as they look silly, which is my personal taste.

A print of a trainer? Christ.

IanE
04-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Anyone else getting a headache from trying to read Minx68's posts or is it just me?
Just you. Your sales threads on DVDForums were terrible to read until you got banned from there.

Ouenben
04-02-2007, 12:57 AM
Hahaha, taking sides? Bizarre. For me, putting cartoon figurines around a place I use for both pleasure and work would look stupid to me.

You'd feel sorry? Well I'd feel sorry for you feeling sorry for me wanting to have a professional looking place.

It's not about being professional looking though it's about if your comfortable in there or not.
If your not comfortable with some figurines in your room where guests can see it, then I guess you must care too much what other people think of you.
My neighbours (has a wife and a kid) house is just filled with junk, magazines, carpets, rubbish bags, it's a total **** pit and obvously it leaves an impression that they are very disorganized and it feels very cramped but it doesnt stop me going in there and he's obviosuly comfortable with it and doesnt care what guests think. It's his lifestyle and he enjoys it.

To be honest I think figurines give a home more... personality, not all bland and just cabinets with lamps on and ****e pictures on the wall called 'Art'. It feels like they have what they want around them and you can see what sort of things they are into. Most people I know with art on walls arent into it at all they just put them there for the sake of it.

Obviously if your work comes into your home often then I guess you would want it a bit more professional looking but other than maybe inviting your boss round for Tea (Does anyone do this outside the simpsons?) most of us travel to work and travel back home, both of them being seperate in many ways. So looking professional for work purposes doesn't really apply to most of us.

IMO Models give a home far more personality than art ever could.

John Beaulieu
04-02-2007, 12:57 AM
So Ian, would you not furnish your place with things that might interest you in case it looks unprofessional? Do you want to live in a home or an office?

I can imagine your dismay if a client/business associate thinks your choice of curtains is 'unprofessional', or if your sofa doesn't leave the 'professional' impression.

For me, living in a place that I couldn't surround myself with objects that I enjoy, regardless of how others may view them would be stupid, in fact not just stupid but it would fill me with sadness that every day I couldn't just sit back and relax in my home.

Ouenben
04-02-2007, 01:00 AM
Just you. Your sales threads on DVDForums were terrible to read until you got banned from there.

Well they weren't that bad I did know how to spell, had considerably grammer too. Her posts are just a mess

Mind you, it says she is from Portugal so perhaps English isn't her mother language.

Anyway going OT

John Beaulieu
04-02-2007, 01:05 AM
Minx knows how to spell and her grammer is just fine, when she can be arsed - as the old saying goes "Let him without sin cast the first stone" Mr 'had considerably grammer too'.....

IanE
04-02-2007, 01:12 AM
It's not about being professional looking though it's about if your comfortable in there or not.
If your not comfortable with some figurines in your room where guests can see it, then I guess you must care too much what other people think of you.
Obviously if your work comes into your home often then I guess you would want it a bit more professional looking but other than maybe inviting your boss round for Tea (Does anyone do this outside the simpsons?) most of us travel to work and travel back home, both of them being seperate in many ways. So looking professional for work purposes doesn't really apply to most of us.

IMO Models give a home far more personality than art ever could.
What has comfortability got to do with figurines? I'm perfectly comfortable being in a place with figurines, I just don't like them and think they look stupid. I can't say I care at all what people think of me, more that I like to have a tidy and clean area in which to work and live. Just how I am. Like I said, I have some plushes in my room and a few posters on the wall, but it's all because I can't make any changes here (shelves and walls) and have had the plushes for quite a while now. My room is also pretty confined.

So Ian, would you not furnish your place with things that might interest you in case it looks unprofessional? Do you want to live in a home or an office?

I can imagine your dismay if a client/business associate thinks your choice of curtains is 'unprofessional', or if your sofa doesn't leave the 'professional' impression.

For me, living in a place that I couldn't surround myself with objects that I enjoy, regardless of how others may view them would be stupid, in fact not just stupid but it would fill me with sadness that every day I couldn't just sit back and relax in my home.
Of course I'd furnish my place with things I like (and I do), but figurines and other such items look silly to me, just personal preference and all that.

My 'work' business never gets too serious, I just like to be tidy and have somewhere that looks nice, I don't think the stuff you like looks nice, so I wouldn't have them in my place.

Where did I say I couldn't relax or have stuff I like there? I'd prefer to have something personal on the walls (a particular photo put onto canvas or something, terrible example but trying to illustrate my point).

Ajay1986
04-02-2007, 01:45 AM
You see you talk about "art" as in paintings and so on, but surely if you ask the person that designed those figures weather they are art or not they would say they are, just as i would say they are. I find the way you pass them off as childish toys rather insulting.

Eps
04-02-2007, 06:59 AM
I still think they look ****e, for the most part. It's not even as if most such figurines are particularly fine examples of the sculptor's art, because they aren't. However, I wouldn't expect people who like them to listen to me -- just as I'd greet anyone attempting to tell me how to decorate my gaff with derisive laughter. Incidentally, I have to agree with Ouenben: despite my own feelings on the issue, I almost sided with JB just because his 'opponent' is deploying such God-awful txt-speak! :P

TheForce
04-02-2007, 09:38 AM
I think that the house you live in, must be a place where you feel comfortable and happy, if you like it clean and professional, no prob, and if you like it stuffed with movie, game or cartoon related stuffed, also no prob.
As long as you feel happy in it shouldn't matter what someone else thinkes of it.

I lived in my house for 3 years alone, I made it my place with game and F1 related stuff. And when my girl moved in, we had to compromise, she hated the stuff I had (ofcourse....) but we've found a middle way where we're both happy with. I still have my Zelda statue standing next to my 360 and Wii in the living room, and I still have my collection of williams and Senna F1 cars in the hallway.... It won't be everybodies taste but I don't give a ****, it's my place and if someone doesn't like it, it's their problem.

John Beaulieu
04-02-2007, 09:53 AM
something else I am looking at (if I can source one)

http://image4.play-asia.com/350/PA.70058.002.jpg

Stuff like this has so much personal meaning to me, that to have it on display in my place can only bring me joy - whereas I may have a painting by some artist that could be deemed more 'mature' (or however you want to put it) and it wouldn't make me feel half as good.

Another example, I have some Ico pictures that I am thinking about having put on canvas, now this is gaming related material and yet for me the pictures are some of the best that I have ever seen, and mean a lot to me ... who cares if someone who came into my place didn't like them, there is no way on earth i would feel embarrased about it.

Nijo
04-02-2007, 10:29 AM
My flat contains a couple of toys tucked away, but the main point that causes people to call it a guy's flat is that I have my DVD collection displayed along the mantlepiece. In fact, see attached. The juggling balls, folded bike and Akubra hat probably don't help.

For my remaining blank walls I'd be after some nice art (the one in the photo is warm but uninteresting). Any early Kandinsky canvas would be sweet:

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/kandinsky/kandinsky.autumn-in-bavaria.jpg

charlesr
04-02-2007, 11:25 AM
I've been getting rid of all my CDs and DVDs on to the PC so that there is now wall space to put paintings on. I've decided instead to get canvas prints of photos I've taken. I'm not saying they are good photos, but they mean stuff to me. So someone might come round and wonder why I've put such an average photo on the wall, but I'm the one that has to look at it all day, so who cares? If plastic toys mean stuff to someone, then that's what's important. Life's too short to be worried about what other people think. You'll get to the end and wonder what happened. Unless they live there too, so I have to clear permanent house features with Lucy first, so there's normally some compromise there.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/118/285757991_56f16e3681_m.jpg

Nijo
04-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Yeah if I took decent photos I'd do the same. :)

Soundwave
04-02-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm pretty sure Minx would hate my flat then :)

I have bits everywhere & it;s still not even a quarter of my collection.

I'm obssessed with toys/statues etc.

Nick Pavey will tell you what it's like, he's seen a bit of it when he did the Gamers photo thingie :)

I will get pics up later when I get back to the parents because for seem reason photobucket is hanging up my laptop everytime I try to go in :(

Anyway my main collections are...

Transformers G1/Beast Wars/R.I.D
Horror Figures Neca mainly
Spawn Figures
Transformers Busts
Bad Taste Bears Monsters
Living Dead Dolls (dont ask just google them ;))
Dragonball Z Figures/busts

Think that about covers it.

I do have some random figures that I boight just because they look cool like Patriot from Rising Stars or the Spiderman Classics figures.

Most of my collection is currently in my parents loft because I dont have any spare room at the flat, but I'd love to get a proper display going.

Basically I like collecting figures & I'm single, dont have to answer to anyone so the colection can & will be displayed & TBH most of the girls I have taken back to my flat are pretty interested or intrigued by most of my collection & take a real interest in what movie/cartoon/game they were from etc.

It's each to their own at the end of the day I love this stuff & it wont change for no one.

Neil

Commander Marklar
04-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Some of these aren't really 'toys' though, are they? I mean sure they all look nice and stuff (don't like the Starwars things but the SoC one is good) but if you can't play with 'em, what's the point?! :p

Richard.John
04-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Why do we love out toys? For the same reason that they love theirs, namely endless piles of identical shoes and bags :D

importaku
04-02-2007, 03:32 PM
One thing thats weird though, if people dont like toys why are they posting on here???

Videogames are toys too (^_^)

SuperDanX
04-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Not to sure about the 'toys' John, but if you like em etc, classic movie posters are teh shizzle though i have this waiting to go up when i can afford to get it framed (its f'ing massive and costs an arm and leg to frame) http://imagesource.allposters.com:80/images/pic/adc/10054852A~The-Ipcress-File-Posters.jpg

IanE
04-02-2007, 04:04 PM
You see you talk about "art" as in paintings and so on, but surely if you ask the person that designed those figures weather they are art or not they would say they are, just as i would say they are. I find the way you pass them off as childish toys rather insulting.
Insulting to what? I'm not debating what is or what isn't art, I'm saying that figurines to me are pretty childish and look silly. Are we not entitled to opinions now? That's all this is, an opinion on what looks good in the home.

Soundwave
04-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Well these are my little collections currently in the flat...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/soundwave_uk/DSCF0018-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/soundwave_uk/DSCF0097.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/soundwave_uk/DSCF0096.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/soundwave_uk/DSCF0095.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/soundwave_uk/DSCF0083-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/soundwave_uk/DSCF0083.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/soundwave_uk/DSCF0082.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/soundwave_uk/DSCF0081.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/soundwave_uk/DSCF0140.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/soundwave_uk/DSCF0138.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/soundwave_uk/S2300016.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/soundwave_uk/pics0012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/soundwave_uk/pics0011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/soundwave_uk/pics003.jpg

Some of the photos were taken before I moved out.

There are also lots more where they came from :)

Neil

IanE
04-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Give them back to the kids!

Soundwave
04-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Give them back to the kids!

No they are mine all mine I tell you!!! :lol: :lol:

IanE
04-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Well someone has already stolen Marine Hicks's Air Bass (last picture on the left).

dvdmike
04-02-2007, 05:05 PM
That Boba Fett is totally kick ass.

I love this kind of stuff - my only problem is I don't have enough space for it all so it's best that I don't start collecting it.

You can also go way OTT and start cramming stuff in left right an centre. I know someone who did that with those cool Marvel busts. What started out as a bit of a showcase turned into a cluttered mess where nothing really stood out because it was all so overpowering.

I was eyeing up this little beauty a day or so ago (taken from one of the most radical and brilliant parallel Marvel Universes where all the superhero's are zombies).

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5084/d56011131a83vl9.jpg

:ph34r:
Where on gods green earth can I get me one of those ?

Spatial
04-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Forbidden Planet are taking preorders on them at the moment.

dvdmike
04-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Forbidden Planet are taking preorders on them at the moment.
Awesome thanks :)

Eps
04-02-2007, 11:26 PM
One thing thats weird though, if people dont like toys why are they posting on here???

Videogames are toys too (^_^)

Heh heh! In my previous post, before the edit, I made the point that people who like to decorate their place with toys always seem to think that any other gamer 'should' want to do the same. In fact, the experience one gets from a good videogame is light-years away from the experience one gets from an inanimate figurine or statue!! :P

importaku
05-02-2007, 12:52 AM
Thing is if you love a particular videogame a lot sometimes you might want to have your favourite game characters in physical form.

For me i love the crazy & slightly scary character of Mr Amigo from samba de amigo so i tracked him down & he now sits pride of place on my shelf as a constant reminder of my joy of playing samba.

Is it kiddy, probably
Is it tacky, maybe
Is he waiting to kill me in my sleep, undoubtably

But i wouldnt be without him (^_^)

In fact had a few occasions where mates have come round & asked who he is & i get the joy of setting samba up so they can find out.

Spatial
14-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I've decided to go on a collection spree for 2008 (as if my wallet wasn't dented enough from gaming and Xmas).

First up for this year was this little beauty to satisfy my Iron Man fetish

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/1792/ironmansubcastgv1.jpg

and on it's way as I type is

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1364/ud53947lgws2.jpg

Now I just need to get a decent display cabinet to put everything in (can't be arsed with constantly dusting).

Anyone else picked up anything lately?

edit: although I do still kick myself for not getting these when I had the chance

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9918/ironmanpress01001ug0.jpg

Don't suppose any body has some that they'd like to donate to me? :D

retrofuture
15-01-2008, 11:32 AM
I think lots of guys like a man-toy. It also depends on your situation, I have found that married male friends with children tend not to be into statues/figures.

I personally wouldn't be without my Sideshow Jabba and throne and my partner loves Doctor Who memorabilia and I must say I am quite partial to Daleks myself. :)

Blade Runner
15-01-2008, 01:50 PM
This arrived in the post for me today :)

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/253/image014uz8.th.jpg (http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image014uz8.jpg)

It's Deckard's blaster from Blade Runner. Sorry for the bad camera phone pic.

Friction
15-01-2008, 02:37 PM
So whose going to get one of these (http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_1108&products_id=41932) then?

;)

HaHaUK
15-01-2008, 03:18 PM
So whose going to get one of these (http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_1108&products_id=41932) then?

;)

:o Oh my that is so cool!

importaku
15-01-2008, 05:58 PM
:o Oh my that is so cool!

Seconded, thats awesome (a little useless) but awesome all the same :)

Hehe jam it inbetween the seats in your car & just casually mention to your friends that your car is a time machine :lol:

retrofuture
15-01-2008, 07:18 PM
http://www.forbiddenplanet.com/products/29034/Star_Wars_Salacious_B_Crumb_Life-Size_Figure/Science_Fiction/Statue/Star_Wars/Episode_Vi/Product.html

That is what I am looking forwards to, I am going to sit him in the hall to disturb guests as they enter. I have a bizarre obsession with anything Jabba related, is that wrong?

Spatial
15-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Despite the insane price I'm really hovering over buying this

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/2788/136889w300ra7.jpg

Plus you can actually wear it which, lets be honest, if you're going to have a lifesized replica you're going to want to try it wear it around the house / down the shops at least a couple of times. But not in a thunderstorm.

As much as I'd like it, between that and the Appleseed Ex Machina Figures

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/6362_press09-001.jpg

my bank account would probably just melt in to a puddle.

NeoStuey
05-02-2008, 12:08 AM
I had my I-Sobot arrive at the weekend, a pretty neat robot from Tomy-Takara. I've got the Japanese version 'cos I think it looks nicer. :D

Here he is bringing me 100 Yen so I can play Ibara.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n213/NeoStuey/i-sobot1.jpg

And being a Guitar Hero

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n213/NeoStuey/i-sobot2.jpg

:thumb:

vanpeebles
05-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Heres some of my collectables:

http://sports.webshots.com/album/557033425LdbgqQ?start=36

Dogg Thang
05-02-2008, 10:12 AM
So what does that i-sobot thing do? Is it as good as Big Track?

charlesr
05-02-2008, 11:22 AM
But not in a thunderstorm.

heheh.

Only tat I've still got is a bunch of worthless Starwars stuff. Like special edition baked beans and shower gel. Lost the Jedi tshirt I got when I watched it at the cinema. :(

kernow
05-02-2008, 11:22 AM
I don't know what it does but where can I buy one!!11

NeoStuey
05-02-2008, 11:12 PM
American I-Sobot drunk, music contains swearing.

AqBqJcpbwpA

Kung Fu Paradoy.

hbn43zqDg4w

Firing a home made bow

gSI4f5CeU5o

Controls are either direct input from Infra red remote, using sticks and key commands. Program mode where you can chain commands up to 80 in one memory bank, up to 3 memory banks to give a total chain of 240 commands. Special action mode for playback of some of the preprogrammed moves, such as air guitar and air drums. Finally voice control, only ten voice commands but you get varied responses to some commands.

Also the hackers are at work, with the use of PC and USB-UIRT they are already controlling the I-Sobot with voice commands for all functions. Also they have it running with the Wii remote. :thumb:

Wii-mote control

nwBstqA6--o

Best place to get one = eBay.

I bought a pure Japanese model, so all Japanese for me.

The US version is black and obviously now in Americanised English.

There also exists a Hong Version which is also white, but uses the Americanised voice, a bit like Shenmue US I guess. :ph34r:

Ian(not Ian)
08-02-2008, 04:15 PM
After a mere 1 year and 3 months on 'preorder' from Play.com this jolly nice Limited Edition Fierce Link arrived today.
See attached.

Ian(not Ian)
08-02-2008, 04:20 PM
and these two

Spatial
25-02-2008, 08:44 AM
You know I was banging on about that Iron Man statue and bust a couple of posts back? I've changed my mind and don't want them anymore. I want this instead:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/103/2957press08001pa8.jpg http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4687/2957press09001wv4.jpg

1:1 size too so it'll be bloody huge.

The downside... it's 500 notes. Zoot Alors! :scared:

KusoGaki
26-02-2008, 04:09 AM
Took some photos of some of the stuff i have, the rest is packed away (my room is too small for everything!)
Pretty much have always liked buying toys, never grew out of it probably never will.

Some DIY Qees i painted/drew on, anime figs, starwars kubricks, and a transformer figure i bought for 7quid.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/bousourokku/kuso1.jpg
Some Medicom stuff, Pinky: St, and a load of Michael Lau figures.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/bousourokku/kuso2.jpg
Some more Michael Lau figures (the b&w figures are based on a hong kong hiphop group called LMF, i havent got them all though...)
http://members.lycos.co.uk/bousourokku/kuso3.jpg
More michael lau figures
http://members.lycos.co.uk/bousourokku/kuso4.jpg
Mario Kart race set i bought on Saturday for 8quid.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/bousourokku/kuso5.jpg
Some misc anime figures/plush/etc...
http://members.lycos.co.uk/bousourokku/kuso6.jpg
A few KAWS figures, HR GIGER model, and some other stuff
http://members.lycos.co.uk/bousourokku/kuso7.jpg
Funny drink (kinda NSFW) and DoA Kasumi figure i got for 10quid.
http://members.lycos.co.uk/bousourokku/kuso9.jpg
Do i get bonus points for owning this on dvd? :rolleyes:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/bousourokku/kuso10.jpg

Spatial
14-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Okay.

It's official.

My Iron Man fetish has gotten way out of control

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9264/ironmannnnnnzzzzwp7.jpg

Impossible to take a proper picture of it because it's so shiny.

I'm glad they made it wearable and even went to the effort of putting padding on the inside for that purpose. Cos lets be honest, if you have a life sized replica of something wearable, you're going to want to try it on.

It's heavy as anything though. Tony Stark must have no neck left.

Kieran76
14-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Thats actually a very disturbing photo.

bignige
14-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Thats actually a very disturbing photo.

I'm sure you could get the same effect by putting a waste paper bin on your head.

johnno15
14-03-2008, 10:00 PM
New spiderman zombie bust:thumb:

No 6 0f 600

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/johnno15/14032008240-1.jpg

Spatial
14-03-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm sure you could get the same effect by putting a waste paper bin on your head.

Probably, but all the ones in my house are that crap wicker stuff. And nobody wants to end up being the Wicker Man for obvious reasons.

That Marvel Zombies one is great. I've been tempted by this one recently

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3428/page7631ip3.jpg

johnno15
15-03-2008, 12:05 AM
That Marvel Zombies one is great. I've been tempted by this one recently

Yeah Im going to get that there is one on the bay at the mo:)

EvilBoris
15-03-2008, 08:56 PM
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9264/ironmannnnnnzzzzwp7.jpg

You look like some kind of Chromium Gimp

Spatial
15-03-2008, 09:05 PM
:lol:

Taking deviancy to a whole new level.

In fairness I should point out it looks much better on the stand that was provided than jammed on my fat head.

EvilBoris
15-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Also, may I add there was no need for the Gratuitous Finger Action in those photos. A temporary ban may well be in order.

Briareos
15-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Also, may I add there was no need for the Gratuitous Finger Action in those photos. A temporary ban may well be in order.

What? I think he should get forum bonus points for such radical self expression.

EvilBoris
15-03-2008, 09:32 PM
If you look in the reflection of the helmet you can see bodies hanging from the walls.
You can also see something rather flesh coloured and phallic ejecting a red apple

IS THAT SELF EXPRESSION HUH?

Spatial
25-05-2008, 04:55 PM
With the impending release of The Dark Knight, Hot Toys are going to be doing some 1/6 scale figures

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/5355/369dsc2600b3x4ih4.jpg http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/6046/369dsc26753x4je1.jpg

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/306/370dsc30853x4zo9.jpg http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6655/370dsc1390a3x4gm8.jpg

Awesome stuff but there's two problems.

Firstly if they're anything like their other figures you can expect to be paying a pretty penny for each one.

Second they're only to be released in Hong Kong / Japan

:(

Dogg Thang
25-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Wow, they look pretty amazing. Yeah I imagine they'll cost but importing wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure hlj would get them. The Joker is fantastic. I have nowhere to put them though. I still have a full set of the big vinyl FFVIII and FFX statues sitting in my mother's attic. I'm beginning to doubt they'll ever be anywhere else.

spagmasterswift
25-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Eastman & Laird original style Raphael TMNT figure.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2024/2508204005_b70b5f8446_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3142/2508202679_7227401b70_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2277/2509030676_f77cf25790_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/2508202585_d54be9813e_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3020/2509030550_2b0d54b38d.jpg

Flinty
25-05-2008, 06:19 PM
^ Where did u get them from.............dude!

spagmasterswift
25-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Forbidden Planet are selling all four Turtles for &#163;12 a piece, they had the set for &#163;30 at the Manga Expo but as I already had Raph I didn't bother...he has 20 points of articulation so I tried out some of the poses from my 1986 Ninja Training Manual >_<

Fuddle
25-05-2008, 08:03 PM
i got the gurren lagann revoltech toy the other day.
its awesome. cant wait to get lazengann and enki.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/5774/005yz6.jpg

Spatial
21-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Not out yet, but coming from Hot Toys:

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6848/257279328688eeff8963oel9.jpghttp://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3048/htpredator4pc8.jpg

My Hot Toys version of Briareos from Appleseed turned up this week (where's my copy of Dunan dammit!!?) and if it's anything to go by these will be awesome for Predator fans.

Then I saw Sideshow Toys were releasing this and did a little bit of sex wee in my pants

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6323/2610press13001rk1.jpg
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/3934/2610press14001mn1.jpg http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/5808/2610press30001ha8.jpg

And then I found out Hot Toys were doing a 1/6 Iron Man and now I have to go and get a cloth

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/199/25949851365c68eae3f4oun9.jpg

kernow
21-06-2008, 01:53 PM
omg those predator figures are awesome, I hope theres a carl wethers one too.

"this is bool****, you set us aaapp"

"so you cooked up a story and chucked us in a meat grinder"

MattyD
21-06-2008, 06:12 PM
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5264/ik6y55nqbqs6kyio7urhw6smv3.jpg

PRE-ORDER GET! I hope they're doing one of Jessie Ventura with Ole Painless.

Spatial
29-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Took delivery of these today :happy:

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/1975/mightymuggs.jpg

Super Grover
30-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Bought these mid last year.

Being one of my fave movies during my 'formative' years, I could'nt resist the purchase.

They (Adidas) also do a Track suit top, but I can't justify spending a lot of cash on something that will make me look a like a hoodie wearing scally.:)

MyNameIsBruce
01-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Tesco are currently doing the Animated Transformer deluxe range for a mere ?5 so I couldn't resist my first animated deluxe, and its a beauty! Sorry for the poor quality pic though...

kernow
01-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Nice, I haven't bought any TF's in a long time. I tried watching the Animated series but got a bit bored of it half way through the first series. I want those Predator action figures, I wonder if they are out yet . they are bound to be expensive though :(

MyNameIsBruce
01-05-2009, 12:34 PM
I have been going a bit crazy on the old transformers and picking up the deals in supermarkets and some bargains on ebay. Its very addictive. I got Rescue Ratchet too who is a repaint of movie Ratchet in G1 colours. And all the better for it to be honest! a great figure.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9804/pict0394j.th.jpg (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict0394j.jpg)

dvdmike
01-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Picked up the new Young Spock

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/dvdmike/DSC02203.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/dvdmike/DSC02204.jpg

Added to what my friends call "the 40 year old virgin" wall, if they only knew what I had in the loft !
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/dvdmike/DSC02206.jpg

Dogg Thang
01-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I bet you never would have bought it without knowing about the BONUS!

dvdmike
01-05-2009, 05:47 PM
It was a real suprise ! I was going to send it back and then I saw the sticker !

Spatial
01-05-2009, 05:52 PM
My Hot Toys Iron Man turned up today after a long time on order. It's a seriously impressive piece and the level of articulation is amazing.

I wasn't going to but after seeing it I'm really, really tempted to put an order in for the MkII and MkI suits :s

dvdmike
01-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Are you going to take some pix ?
Thanks to this thread I ordered another RAH Raiden and the Hot Toys Duke

Spatial
01-05-2009, 05:57 PM
I will do - presently in the process of posing him just right :D

Soundwave
01-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Well after 12 Pages & years of me threatening to do it this here is the complete Soundwave collection of Toys & stuff...

Transformers:
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn276/Soundwaves_toys/Transformers%20toys/ (http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn276/Soundwaves_toys/Transformers&#37;20toys/)

General other stuff...
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn276/Soundwaves_toys/

Neil

Spatial
01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Iron Man pics

Warning - crap photography incoming! Can't really do it justice but trust me it's an absolute stonker in the flesh / natural lighting

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/163/p1080135.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9484/p1080136v.jpg

I'm always amazed by the exquisite and elaborate nature of the Hot Toys packaging. :wub:

Anyway, crap quality figure pics

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/694/p1080142.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/812/p1080147.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/70i14n.jpg

kernow
01-05-2009, 08:09 PM
wow, that is fantastic.

dvdmike
01-05-2009, 09:34 PM
That is Bad ass

NeoStuey
29-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Yamato 1/24 Scale AV-98 1st Ingram Mobile Police Patlabor The Movie

"Alphonse", pilot Noa Izumi.

http://gallery.me.com/neostuey/100030/DSCF6170/web.jpg?ver=12542518740001

http://gallery.me.com/neostuey/100030/DSCF6171/web.jpg?ver=12542518780001

http://gallery.me.com/neostuey/100030/DSCF6173/web.jpg?ver=12542518830001

http://gallery.me.com/neostuey/100030/DSCF6182/web.jpg?ver=12542518860001

http://gallery.me.com/neostuey/100030/DSCF6183/web.jpg?ver=12542518900001

A lovely piece of kit perfectly capturing the Ingram in all it's glory. Stands at 33cm tall. Working patrol lights, with pop ups on the chest, the gun chamber opens and accepts bullets, the hammer goes back. The blast visor raises and lowers. Noa has interchangeable heads, the cockpit opens. The arm shield is removable, the riot stick extends, there is a metal extended version. The winch works, the right leg opens and has the pop up holster for the handgun, the left leg has a bullet rack. The arms extend to reach those areas as in the anime, and it is has a fully articulated metal skeleton. now what did I miss? :hmm: :lol:

teddymeow
29-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Stuey; very, very nice!! :thumb:

MiG
29-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Nice Stuey!

Patlabor is my absolute favourite, I painted a massive AV-98 on my bedroom wall when I was at school.. it's still there! I see it every time I visit my parents :)

Where did you get it from?

Colin
29-09-2009, 09:59 PM
You know I was banging on about that Iron Man statue and bust a couple of posts back? I've changed my mind and don't want them anymore. I want this instead:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/103/2957press08001pa8.jpg http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4687/2957press09001wv4.jpg

1:1 size too so it'll be bloody huge.

The downside... it's 500 notes. Zoot Alors! :scared:

Looking in this thread may prove to have been quite an expensive mistake. :scared:

NeoStuey
29-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Nice Stuey!

Patlabor is my absolute favourite, I painted a massive AV-98 on my bedroom wall when I was at school.. it's still there! I see it every time I visit my parents :)

Where did you get it from?

Cheers MiG, :D

Love the image of a massive AV-98 adorning the bedroom wall, I got some other Patlabor related merchandise coming towards the end of the month, I'll say no more than you'll probably like it. :thumb:

As for the AV-98 got it brand new, courtesy of a new friend in Japan who bid on it through Yahoo Japan Auctions. The same model is available through HobbyLinkJapan but of course at a higher overall price.

smokedog
29-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Iron Man pics

I want that Iron Man figure, but its over a ?1000k ...eek

redstar_dan
11-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Heya, here are my Detolfs :)

I am a big fan of vinyl figures. If anybody wants to see the rest of my stuff, I will try and sort out my flickr out, Its a bit of a mess at the moment.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5287/5250458754_e1bd345663.jpg

Rossco
11-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Just read this whole thread, lots of arguing at the start! :lol:

I only have my Kill Bill Hattori Hanzo replica samurai sword now which stands by my door. Quite a cool item to show off to visitors but in general I've grown out of toys and stuff like that. Don't have any of these special edition games or films with figurines on show anymore and taken all the posters down too. Prefer a more minimalist look.

Not that I don't appreciate cool figures, those expensive Iron Man ones look awesome but I'd maybe only put them up if say I had a dedicated room for my gaming/film setup rather than my bedroom.

I've been looking for a canvas to put up for ages in my room now. Was originally gonna paint my own abstract piece but never got round to it. Would maybe put up some game art if I found something suitable and classy enough.