Radiant Silvergun (game discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radiant Silvergun (game discussion)

This is the only game I've seriously been playing at the moment. To be honest, I don't usually play many 2D shooters, but after hearing many great things about Silvergun, I decided to pick it up and get my Saturn modded.

A good decision, because this game is seriously hot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's got:

- A Deep, multi-layered weapons system
    - Complex level structures
    - A large variety of bosses
    - An utterly imaginative and diverse aesthetic
    - Incredible use of technology on the Saturn
    - Brilliant immense over the top of action
    - A vast number of different enemies
    - Huge tactical depth, due to the fact the game rewards risk in powering up your radiant sword, and in trying to get longer and longer chains
    - Great replay system through the fact the game 'remembers' your weapon abilities each time you play and lets you slowly level them up accordingly. Not only that, the more you play, the more the game unlocks, i.e. stage select, continues game speed, etc.
    - There's also choice in choosing which parts to strengthen your ship, depending on which weapons you use, and which chains you want to focus on for obtaining a higher score. So although the game itself is linear, how you go about achieving various aims is up to the user.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact it's Sakimoto Hitoshi (Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story) that composes the music is only the icing on the cake. Actually, RSG kind of reminds me of Rez, and it's easy to see where the later title has drawn quite an amount of inspiration from. stage 2, for example, has a computerised/retro wireframe feel, and stage 6 with its large running man...

I hope it's not just me, but I am finding it rock hard though. I first tried the game on Saturn mode, but found it too difficult on Normal. I couldn't even get to the third level.

So, lambast me for being **** all you want, but I've had to stick it on Easy and on seven lives per credit in order to get anywhere. Arcade mode however is a different story because it allows infinite continues, and yes, in order to fully complete the game I had to rely on them.
    Originally posted by spoiler
    That last boss is an absolute nightmare in parts, especially when it starts firing all those blue diamonds towards the end.
    However, having said that, I don't feel overwhelmed. I feel that if I put the practice in this game then I can steadily get better. I just wish like the GC version of Ikaruga, that there was a reply mode allowing you to watch and study how the pros go about each level.

In fact, it's almost a little unfair in comparing Ikaruga to RSG - The later title is such a better game. I'd even go as far to say RSG even beats its brother graphically, despite being five years old. The sheer amount of effects in terms of multi-layered transparencies, scaling, generous amounts of parallax scrolling, mode-7 style effects, OTT bitmaps, and overlayed complex polygon elements, make it perhaps look even better than the best of what I've seen the PSone offer.

Where RSG nails everything on the head is in terms of imagination. The sheer diversity and thought which has gone into every element of design, from the stylistic look of the game, to the music, to the control... All I can say is wow.

For me, the standout level of the game is by far Stage 4... Not only is it very challenging, but it's also extremely epic in terms of scope. There's a huge flying ship boss you fight spinning and rotating over the terrain at one point, which quite simply just had my jaw on the floor. In fact, all of the stages each have their own particular standout moments like that.

Now, I've got some questions:

1) When the game flashes "Weapon x10000", I'm assuming that this means I've levelled up my current weapon?"

2) Sometimes "Secret Chain" flashes up. Is this the same as an ordinary chain, or does it require certain conditions, such as shooting certain enemies in a certain order, as opposed to just colours?

3) Before each boss fight there's strange use of English in three lined short sentences. Do these mean anything? Are they cryptic hints of some kind?

4) I've heard you can find hidden dogs () in the game, but I've yet to find any. How do you go about locating them?

5) I've found all the weapons, bar the X button (multiple lock on), to be useful. What's the use of this weapon, because in the heat of the battle, I found it impratical and uncomfortable to use.

6) Since the story is in Japanese I've not managed to really follow it, but I've heard there are several translations on the net. Does understanding the narrative in RSG add anything to the experience?

Of course, what I would really like in this thread is to hear not only some other views on the game, but also share information on tactics so hopefully I can become a better player in due course. Do any of you use any specific techniques that are useful when it comes to the later sections of the game, when life becomes almost impossibly hard?

What are your favourite levels? What are your favourite weapon combinations? What are your favourite bosses? What's your highest scores? What are the highest chains you've got?

Have you ever completed the game on one credit?

etc.

Please, do tell.

RSG and Ikaruga...polar opposites. Personally I think Ikaruga is far superior, but that's another topic and certainly not what you want to hear whilst you're still getting to know the locals in Silvergunland (I had an intense summer there once. I must've taken the saturn round to, like, 4 or 5 different peoples houses with the intention of melting brain. Mostly it worked a treat).

Anyway...

Secret chain is when you destroy red, blue, yellow in that order.
    You answer question 4 with question 5.

and

Doesn't the ending (Sat Mode) almost bring you to tears?

Comment

Well, I agree, it's probably not best comparing Ikaruga and Silvergun on a gameplay level. I don't know. It's just... I simply find the aesthetic in RSG to be more thrilling and the action grips me in a more immediate form.

RSG kind of shouts at the player right from the off - Which was kind of what I was hoping for.

--------------------------------

Thanks for the answers.

I've still not completed the game on Saturn mode though as I'm finding stages five and six are extremely difficult, even on Easy. And on Normal, I can't even get past (or even up to, actually) three.

I know. Must practice.

Comment

By three, I mean in the chronological order you play through the levels, as for some reason the stages in RSG are all numbered out of order. For example, the third level is actually stage four, while the first is stage three.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the storyline, as I -think- you travel through various times to prevent the fallen diamond in the intro from exploding.

Comment

Ah, good to see someone has recognised this title for what it is, rather than "OMFG OVERPRICED eBAY R@RE SH1T3!!"

Ikaruga + RSG, no comparison, they are totally different IMO...

Anyway, the thing I really love about this game is that it is totally what you make of it. I haven't even started to think about chaining yet, as for me the fun is getting through the levels using a minimum number of credits, something that really is quite difficult.

On the other hand, some day I can turn around and replay the same levels over and over again, trying to get the best chains, and it's really great to know that I haven't even scratched the surface, and there is plenty more game for me if I want it.

Aesthetically, I'd plump for Ikaruga, the little cutscenes pulled off with such aplomb really do it for me, and the little breaks in action just set off a spark for me, hard to explain

I know what you mean about that boss with the spinning platform, and you can hide behind them pillars. It's fairly simple to buld up your Scything attack from this boss, which I can't get enough of, it's so satisfying!

And that level 2 boss (if i remember correctly, been a few months since I played it) in the tunnel, he's so hard! He fires them bouncing beams across the tunnel, as well as the fire on the wall, it's insane! I would love to see someone do this with one credit!

As for that final boss, I love it! When the diamonds come down from the sky, and you managed to dodge about 20/30, you realise that you haven't taken a breath in the entire time you've been dodging, and you have suddenly shifted right close up to the telly, clenching the pad as hard as you can, and you haven't blinked in the whole time.

I challenge another game to turn me into a zombie like this game has.

Comment

I got this a few months back and though my playing it regularly has tailed off a bit, still enjoy sitting down and having a blast every week or so.

I personally like boss 4 on level one, simply because once you take off all his guns, his large beam shot starts rotating round the screen, following you. Once I succesfully learnt to dodge behind the pillers I felt like such a grand master ninja....

As mentioned earlier byWCT, the 'lock on' gun locates the secret dogs. You can get the first one right at the start of level 1, bottom right hand corner. There are 30 to find... I'd advise checking out GameFaqs if your really desperate to collect em all....

I can hit level three in one credit at the moment (on Normal difficulty) - but this is with a ship that is pretty much fully powered up to lvl33

Starting with the bog standard ship, I tend to get halfwayish through lvl 2

Enjoy

Comment

Are all you lot loaded or something, or do you have cheap suppliers?!

Comment

I love the RSG boss that is basically a complete rip off of the R9 from R-TYPE. I think it's at the end of the first level in arcade mode (haven't played RSG for a long time so can't remember exactly). It attacks from the top of the screen, and it has a "FORCE" that it sends after you. Even has a beam and a charge-up spread shot. It uses a helix ripple shot too, as well as blue beams that bounce off the walls. Blatantly pinched from R-TYPE and turned into a hostile boss for RSG. I think IREM should be flattered.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby
                  I bought mine for a fiver in Smithfield market, Belfast. Shame I didnt have a Saturn that could play it, but sold it for a princely ?95 profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby
                    Used my bonus from work to get a Jap Saturn, RSG, Battle Garegga, SF Alpha 3, DoDonpachi and something else which I can't remember at the mo.

RSG was just crying out for a good home

Seriously think about getting myself an AES now, just the missus to persuade (I lost the last 'discussion' we had about getting an arcade cab!)

Comment

I'm playing a loaned copy of the game from a very trusting friend. He's even lending me the Saturn. When he goes to Japan in September, he's going to try and get me a [relatively] cheap copy for myself.

It shares the 'sequenced' feel of Ikaruga, but really is less forgiving on the player. It's very important to keep calm. If I start losing it, I forget which buttons are for what weapon and get overwhelmed trying to improvise. Strategy wise, there is plenty of opportunity for individual play styles. While the chains may seem somewhat restrictive, they can be achieved by different means. The sword is such a fun weapon to employ, even though it increases your risk, forcing you closer to the enemies. I love the intensity. Bosses really make use of 3D, with different parts and weapons exposed depending on their rotation. Some of the best bosses ever in a game, and theres SO many of them. Gallop is my sticking point at the moment. It may be tough, but figuring out strategies is very satisfying in RSG.

Comment

The final boss run up where you take on 3 animal bosses. The Shark, Turtle & Phoenix and the excellent head **** text.

I gave you lives so that you could make good progress. But still you do not understand.
                        And the last boss Giga, brings a tear to my eye with sheer awe of him, the way he rises off his knee enveloped in that explosion with that AMAZING track in the background. And the 3 little hints given under his name?
                        1. Be praying
                        2. Be praying
                        3. Be praying

The best boss ever IMO.

The huge gun is pretty naughty along with the anti-mother ship, which swings out 2 anti-RSG ships at you.

I've only got 14 dogs!! thirty!!!? *woofwoof*

An amazing game, which is killing me as i have top sell it *sobs*

Comment

You may well call me 7 years late, but I'm now playing RSG also...

I'm loving it indeed, although it is taking every opportunity to pwn me in grand style - still not off the first level (although I'm now just past the zig-zag tunnelly bit)

I can't even think about chaining at the moment - I don't know if that's really the way to approach it, but I have to get to a stage where I don't panic & hit the wrong weapon button. I particularly enjoy that the game strives for complexity in both presentation & execution; it feels like there's a very definite product that's been considered & cared for - that it has indeed been shown some love.

I'm not usually one for hype-fuelled games, but I've been utterly seduced so far - I'm looking forward to practicing more so I can become less **** at it.

Comment

I bought this around a week or two after its release actually its the game i started importing for.A great game but there is no way on earth i would pay the sort of money thats being asked for it

Comment

Ikaruga is a near on piece of **** shooter save some nice graphics, i'd hope RS is a whole lot better, id at least like the chance to play it:/

Comment

Working...
                              X