FFXI on Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FFXI on Vista

Hiya, since breaking my poor old laptop I have ordered a new one which comes installed with vista, so I was wonderin what with a lot of bad press with its game compatability if anyone has any issues with running this?

Er its bad enough that Talizker re-installed on 360 and gave up on it.

Comment

Yeah its true. There are various web sites that give instructions on how to get it working and using these along with my own Vista experience does get it installed and updated but there are serious issues with it hanging when the game moves from POL to FFXI and also from FFXI to POL when you log out. Vista also doesn't work with the PS2 Pad adapters and if you use a 360 pad you can't configure the triggers, only the bumpers which is way bad for macros. Couple this with some nasty lag that was not there on XP and it makes for an experience that is not much fun.

As Tsing said, back to the 360 version while they get the Vista compatibility sorted.

Comment

Yikes, you know I had issues on another laptop running DVDs but I switchedthem to XP mode which sorted it, kind of. Hmm I use a non official 360 pad driver, so that wont work with vista? I hope for no lag as its a pretty swishy machine that should run anything. I
        will post my own Impressions on here when I have got it running, I have a backup image of FFXI on a HDD too to save reinstall. Thank you for that info

Comment

Running in XP mode didn't have any positive effect unfortunately, as didn't running POL as Administrator and disabling the UAC. The PS2 pad issue is only a problem as Vista has no native driver (XP did), you will likely be OK asuming your pad has Vista support. The 360 pad works fine but FFXI (the game) doesn't allow commands to be assigned to the triggers as they are not a button, but an axis. The lag is not down to the machine spec as it is the same spec machine I use in XP (AMD 4200+ Dual Core, 2Gb Memory, GeForce 6600GT etc). Good luck with it anyhow man, fingers crossed for you!

Comment

It appears it may now work!

Comment

Excellent, i was askin tali about this yesterday as im about to reload my PC at home, looks like its going to be Vista for me

Comment

Its good news about getting the game up and running but still the pad issue is going to prevent play. I can't use a PS2 pad because there is no support driver for the adapter and I can't use the 360 pad as I can't map the macros to the triggers (I tried with them mapped to the bumpers and it just doesn't work well because of their position). I have *many* macros!

Comment

Originally posted by talizker View Post
                  Its good news about getting the game up and running but still the pad issue is going to prevent play. I can't use a PS2 pad because there is no support driver for the adapter and I can't use the 360 pad as I can't map the macros to the triggers (I tried with them mapped to the bumpers and it just doesn't work well because of their position). I have *many* macros!
                  Here you go mate, working XBCD drivers for Vista http://redcl0ud.1.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=1535
                  Turns those nasty triggers into actual buttons.

Got this working on Vista 64-bit Also applied the increased background resolution hack, and the improved mip LOD hack. Looks damn spiffy now.

Comment

oh ty shakey cant wait to get pc now, will look into that hack, hope its not hard to do

do you have links to making it look more fancy please?
                    Last edited by Guest; 25-03-2007, 03:51.

Comment

I will have to try and get this working, when I upgraded to Vista and then found it didn't work it was rather annoying. Going onto the 360 version was an option and at least got me in the game but the thought of retyping all my macros out was kind of something I didnt look forward to, luckily I made a backup of the whole install on pc so if I can get it working my macros should be there.

Comment

This lets you increase the mip LOD, which is basically the way it has that nasty shimmer in the distance. I've set mine to 5 http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33757564

And this is how you increase the background resolution http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/gam...k-see-how.html

If using Vista, everything will be inn HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/PlayOnlineEU/SquareEnix/FinalFantasyXI instead.

Comment

Now all you need is a fix for those god awful looking blotchy sky textures that you tend to see in areas like Selbina and Altepa desert, although I suspect that's something SE need to sort.

Comment

Ive noticed like dotted patterns in some skies such as over Ru'Lude Gardens, it looks very odd.
                            Also, I did go onto the 360 Mike and it isnt fun redoing macros, but you can organise them better a second time around, My main problem with the 360 is the usb keyboard I use is all oversensitive and adds letters if I type too fast, Which is more often than not

Comment

Thanks for the info Shakey. All running nicely under Vista with 360 pad working as required.

Sweet

Comment

Working...
                              X