The King Of Kong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The King Of Kong

Looking forward to seeing this - a documentary following mostly the Twin Galaxies crowd as they try & break the Donkey Kong world record. It's been getting huge love at the various film festivals it's been shown at so far. Don't think there's a UK release date so far, but fingers crossed for a DVD release soon.

I've had an eye on this for a while also, guess DVD release is the only way we'll get to see it.

Comment

Thanks for pointing this out to me, never heard of it before and sounds like a great doc/film.

Comment

A documentary about two rivaling video gaming champions on the classic coin-op game Donkey Kong, Todd Rogers makes a brief appearence to give his view points...

Comment

apparently new line are making a feature film based on the documentary:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32888

Should be the 2nd best film based on video games since The Wizard.

Comment

This sounds cool and i desperatly want to see it. Hopefully it will make it over here in some form or another.

Comment

Just watched this, amazing film, well worth checking out.

Comment

Nice, i'll check that out

There was a movie in development called 'bang the machine' that I remember reading about a few years ago but lost track of..does anyone know anything about it?

Comment

Originally posted by rumbletum View Post
                  Just watched this, amazing film, well worth checking out.
                  Thanks for the heads up, will check it out

In regards to Bang the Machine IMDB had this to say about it...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312423/

Sounds interesting but it seems impossible to get hold of as there wasn't a DVD release and there are only a few screenings a year, the closest you can get to seeing any of it is this trailer on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7cLvPmxtVM

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff D View Post
                    Looking forward to seeing this - a documentary following mostly the Twin Galaxies crowd as they try & break the Donkey Kong world record. It's been getting huge love at the various film festivals it's been shown at so far. Don't think there's a UK release date so far, but fingers crossed for a DVD release soon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0923752/
                    I watched this last night - it was utterly, utterly superb - even sceptical Mrs Yoshi was willing Steve Weibe on to do it.

I quoted Geoff because it's not *really* about what he says there.

Basically, you've got the twin galaxies mob who "administer" the world records and one of the upper members of that staff is Billy Mitchell who has held the Donkey Kong world record since about 1982 or something daft - Along comes Steve Weibe who we're told has never really been able to succeed at anything despite being very good at a lot of stuff.

This guy has a DK cab in his garage and goes insane learning how to beat the bitch and make it to the "kill screen" (you get to see the kill screen and everything ).

I don't want to spoil it for anyone but if you come to this forum you really must watch this documentary. It's not even because it's about videogames and there's relevance - it's one of those films where the characters in it are so utterly, utterly perfect you're compelled to see what happens and just you wait till you see how twin galaxies go about their business

Billy Mitchell - I always thought he'd be a pretty cool guy but what an utter ****ing prick that boy is - He's got older but his maturity levels are stuck back at the time when he beat that score.

I've just been checking out twin galaxies and it's insane how much that site has expanded - They've got world records for Kickstart 2 on the spectrum for ****s sake

Everybody must watch this film - I can't stress it enough.

Comment

Don't read if you've not watched :

I just checked and Billy got the score back - cocksucker

Comment

Was just about to ask that myself as the little boy is screaming and i couldn't hear, or reach the remote to rewind.

Is it something to do with Steve Weib's pcb being a different one to what was originally in the machine?

Comment

Really really good, just finished it.

Not sure what you mean by your last post Yoshi as

Steve Wiebe beat Billy's taped score

Click.

What a horrible bitter person Billy is, Steve is professional all the way through, cringed when Steve was at the arcade playing and Billy walked in with his wife, muttered some childish comment on a person he has no experience of, then walks off.

For me though the biggest muppet is Brian Kuh, you know he would probably let Billy nail his butt if he asked.

Slimy little weasel.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas Pavey View Post
                            Really really good, just finished it.

Not sure what you mean by your last post Yoshi as

Steve Wiebe beat Billy's taped score

Click.

What a horrible bitter person Billy is, Steve is professional all the way through, cringed when Steve was at the arcade playing and Billy walked in with his wife, muttered some childish comment on a person he has no experience of, then walks off.

For me though the biggest muppet is Brian Kuh, you know he would probably let Billy nail his butt if he asked.

Slimy little weasel.
                            Yoshi means this http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.as...&gi=3852&vi=22

I agree with everything you said. Bunch of arses.

Comment

Oh. V annoying. Guess i didn't Google hard enough.

Did that manual turn up mate?

Comment

Working...
                              X