PDA

View Full Version : Has play.com gone really downhill?

Jebus
30-04-2007, 06:55 PM
I've started using shopto.net for almost everything games related but on sunday I placed two orders, one at shopto, the other at play.com.

The items in price were VASTLY different, the shopto being a cheapy cable and the play.com being something VERY expensive.

Got my text from shopto about lunchtime today, its in the post.

Play.com = been packing since 12 lunchtime.

I rang them to mention that I didn't think something of that value should be "packing" for 6 hours plus, only to be told that usually things go out within 48 hours and "you only placed the order yesterday"...erm, what exactly does that matter?

Play.com used to be my first port of call, I found them way back in early 2000's, may have been 2001 or even earlier! But lately, their delivery times have been a lot worse, customer service rather poor and now this...an item of high value that "may still get out tonight for tomorrow, but it's more likely to be wednesday. It'll certainly be no later than wednesday at the latest".

I was also told (regarding 6 hours packing) "It takes time for them to get the items together, print the labels"...

To me, for a high value item that isn't good enough to be honest. Especially when shopto.net can get a tiny cheapo cable out to me within 24 hours, in fact I got the text within 16 hours saying it was shipped!!

So...is it me? Or has a once wonderful service gone downhill?

Oh this is without me even mentioning the hassle it took to get them to replace an ?899.99 LCD TV that was faulty 6 months ago!!!

MartyG
30-04-2007, 06:58 PM
I still get great service from play - it's probably just down to their computer system that the statuses stay as packing or processing, I know at Choices where I work the statuses on orders update in batch. Every new release I've ordered from them recently has arrived on or before release day.

Ish
30-04-2007, 06:59 PM
I was also told (regarding 6 hours packing) "It takes time for them to get the items together, print the labels"...

Amazon once told me that.

Its always made me laugh. I used to work in a warehouse sending deliveries out to customers and it was never complicated. Run round pick up the bits, lob 'em in the packing, print label off computer, whack on pile to go out in post that night.

End of day throw, errr I mean place, items in lorry.

charlesr
30-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I've only ever used them for game/cd/film items. Anything expensive, I'd want to know which day it was being delivered so I would definitely be in. Not how long it took them to pack.
Does play give you the option of which day?

Jebus
30-04-2007, 07:02 PM
I still get great service from play - it's probably just down to their computer system that the statuses stay as packing or processing, I know at Choices where I work the statuses on orders update in batch. Every new release I've ordered from them recently has arrived on or before release day.

Well he said he checked the item, told me what it was to which I replied "Yes" and he couldn't really give me an specifics as to what's happening with it other than (as the website says) "Packing".

If it doesn't come tomorrow, it'll be my last order with them to be honest. I've spent thousands, absolutely THOUSANDS since my first order and it's not the service I once knew... :(

Charles you've hit the nail on the head...this isn't a CD/DVD/Game/Book, it's an item of £500 value and I want it tomorrow, not "by wednesday at the latest" because it's taken 6 ****ing hours to pack it!!

As I say, it may still come tomorrow if it's just a case of them not updating the order because they do it in batches but if it doesn't, they've lost a customer who has spend ****loads over the years.

Spatial
30-04-2007, 07:06 PM
They're still OK in my experience.

As long as you don't pre-order games / DVD's from them and expect them to arrive on or just before they day of release like they used to, then they're pretty good.

Jebus
30-04-2007, 07:12 PM
I should mention this is nothing to do with a pre-order...it's a product that is already out :)

Yoshimax
30-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Jebus did you order a PS3 from them ? Because shopto sent me an email last Friday and they were doing PS3's for &#163;369.99 over the weekend !!! ><

Jebus
30-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Does play give you the option of which day?

Day for delivery? No not at all. It says items over ?75 go "special delivery" which is absolute nonsense, they send it (and I had this confirmed today, and the fact my LCD came this way) via parcelforce.

Jebus
30-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Jebus did you order a PS3 from them ? Because shopto sent me an email last Friday and they were doing PS3's for ?369.99 over the weekend !!! ><

That was a limited stock offer (something they failed to mention in the email) apparently!

Spatial
30-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Didn't someone else on here have massive problems with them and an LCD?

For some reason I've got it in my head it was Concept?

I wouldn't use them for big purchases for the very reason mentioned - you have no idea when your brand spanking new &#163;900 toy would be turning up.

Jebus
30-04-2007, 07:20 PM
I bought MY Samsung LCD from them absolutely no problems, but about a year later my father in law used my account to buy one for christmas for his wife (and himself) but they were real ****ers about replacing it. Parcelforce apparently didn't show up 3 times even though I personally KNOW the driver and he never had us on the pickup lists on the days they promised.

Eventually I had to pay myself and sorted a collection out with parcelforce, which happened on time and on the right day. Play.com eventually refunded me that cost (&#163;30+!!!!) and gave me &#163;70 good will. Pretty good after it was all said and done but the ****ing stress they caused between me and my father in law was obscene, every time they blamed someone else and this took almost 5 weeks to resolve.

Prophet Hero
30-04-2007, 07:24 PM
I've never had a problem with them but I'm a fairly patient guy (probably due to dealing with mail order as a kid).

The only time I had a quibble was when a game I bought (PoP:TTT, Xbox) kept locking-up at exactly the same point of play with no obvious explanation. They offered a refund or exchange without argument (free postage return).

Like others I don't think I'd buy high-value items from them either.

briareos_kerensky
30-04-2007, 07:27 PM
I think that their service got a bit worse, probably because they have experience a huge increase in purchases and probably they want to increase profit...last time I ordered a game from them I had to wait a day or two to get it shipped, which is not a big deal in my book (packs will always get awfully delayed once they reach Italy thanks to our mail service). Prices are slightly higher than before as they do not accept payments in ounds from anyone outside the UK, but again, it's an euro or two at max - buying english books here means at least a 50&#37; price increase, so they ae still a viable source of material for me. As long they don' get items mixed up I'm cool with play.com.

Jebus
30-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Well the thing is, my lcd was delivered promptly and perfectly, it's only the second one that wasn't so great.

YEARS ago I had a problem with a South park boxset arriving warped (look like heat damage of some kind), all the discs were warped and wierd.

They replaced it immediately. Don't get me wrong, they've been great.

But this is a ****ing &#163;500 item and it's been packing for 7 1/2 hours now, I'm a bit pissed off because I'd planned my day around it arriving tomorrow, wednesday is a bad day for it to arrive. Let alone the fact that means from ordering to delivery it'd be a 72 hour process, which isn't good enough when you consider their main gaming competition has done the same process within 36 hours come tomorrow morning when I grab it at work! :(

Prophet Hero
30-04-2007, 07:35 PM
But this is a ****ing ?500 item and it's been packing for 7 1/2 hours now, I'm a bit pissed off because I'd planned my day around it arriving tomorrow, wednesday is a bad day for it to arrive. Let alone the fact that means from ordering to delivery it'd be a 72 hour process, which isn't good enough when you consider their main gaming competition has done the same process within 36 hours come tomorrow morning when I grab it at work! :(

Ah, the most expensive item I have bought was a DVD boxset (around ?80). If I had spent ?500 I'd be fretting and checking the order status every two minutes.

Exception OE
30-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Never had a problem myself with them. I bought a TV for &#163;625 from them and it arived the next day. I was actually shocked.

Jebus
30-04-2007, 07:38 PM
If I had spent &#163;500 I'd be fretting and checking the order status every two minutes.

Yeah but I'd never do that...<refresh>...honest.

Seriously though, as I say, planned for it to come tomorrow, wednesday is a bad day for it to come...

Rick
30-04-2007, 08:17 PM
back in the day they were good.

I tend to order elsewhere now due to it allways taking an extra day over anywhere else i order.

No matter what i order, its allways 2-3 days usually 3 days. Everywhere else seems to be 1-2 days usually next day.

Jebus
30-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Indeed and that is fundamentally the issue I'm talking about.

As I say :

Sunday lunchtime :

Shopto.net, I order a cable, its shipped lunchtime monday, arriving tuesday.

Play.com, I order &#163;500 item, its been packing for over 8 hours and is likely to arrive wednesday.

They used to be so fast and efficient but recently, they really are behind.

Exception OE
30-04-2007, 08:30 PM
back in the day they were good.

I tend to order elsewhere now due to it allways taking an extra day over anywhere else i order.

No matter what i order, its allways 2-3 days usually 3 days. Everywhere else seems to be 1-2 days usually next day.

Thats because play.com are based in the channel islands to dodge VAT. It takes the extra day to get the stuff over to mainland UK by boat.

prinnysquad
30-04-2007, 08:47 PM
I tend to use Gameplay for games (due to the release day delivery) and amazon marketplace for books. Play is my third port of call due to one reason: delivery speed. I haven't had much of a problem with them for any reason other than this.

Oh, and the time I preordered a game and they sent the wrong version out, contradicting the details on their own invoice. I had to pay for and organise the return, and wait an extra week while they processed the refund and took another 40 notes out of my account to send the correct version. Then they refunded the postage cost for the return. It just seemed like a really laborious, round-a-bout way of doing something that was their error, maximising my inconvenience.

Jebus
30-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Oh, and the time I preordered a game and they sent the wrong version out, contradicting the details on their own invoice. I had to pay for and organise the return, and wait an extra week while they processed the refund and took another 40 notes out of my account to send the correct version. Then they refunded the postage cost for the return. It just seemed like a really laborious, round-a-bout way of doing something that was their error, maximising my inconvenience.

Same as my father in law's TV. I demanded they send the new one out quicker and they did. It was their mistake it had taken 4 weeks to pick up, their mistake making me have to pay &#163;30+ and set up delivery to them myself. I would agree, it was absolutely "maximising my inconvenience" as well.

For me, it was ALWAYS :

#1 play.com
#2 amazon.co.uk
etc...

Now it's

#1 shopto.net
#2 amazon.co.uk
#3 ntsc-uk trade forum ;)

Basically play.com have gone from being my first port of call, to my last.

My first order with them was September 2001...it's a shame that the ONLY reason I went back to them on sunday was that it was a particularly irresistable offer!

Kubrick
30-04-2007, 08:54 PM
I dunno about them going really downhill, but they are slower than they used to be, plus they sent me a "classics" version of the last game I ordered from them when there was no mention of it being such a thing on the site.

MattyD
30-04-2007, 09:05 PM
I know from when I worked in warehouses that when the system says 'packing' or something similar, it just means the warehouse monkeys have pulled the order off the computer. The picking slip could sit in their intray for ages before it actually gets picked.

Other than that, I couldn't comment as I've never used play.

MrKirov
30-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I agree that recently they have gone to utter crap.

Used them for nigh on 5 years, never an issue until the past 6 months. No end of items not turning up, complaining, "sent" orders going back to processing...

Infact the **** hit the fan with them earlier today when I had to ring. Ordered a Samsung DVD drive for a friend from them a month ago, it was a preorder for release on the 30th april.

FIRSTLY they take the money from my account on the 14th, and the item says sent. I figure, fair enough, if they've sent it I dont mind. THEN it goes back to processing, STILL with my money being taken. Ring them to get an answer of "yeah we usually take money early for electronics products as we dont know when they will ship"

WTF?!

Explain to him the rules OF HIS OWN COMPANY about not taking the money before the item is ready to be shipped. Also the fact ive ordered probably about 50 odd electronics items from them. He then tries to say it has been sent, and that the order date on the website has changed to an earlier date- NO IT HASNT.

Speak to a team leader/floorwalker/supervisor and he cant even answer whether its been sent, but has to find out tomorrow for some reason. Calls me back the next day (which was surprising) and tells me it HAS been sent. Here I am 12 days later, no item.

Ring em this morning, find that he says- its out of stock, sorry. I ordered it a month ago?!? Yeah, the supervisor cancelled your original order, and made a new one, thats how he knew it had been sent.

So not only have I not received the item, but also now find that the superior I spoke to didnt even bother doing his job properly, and I cant even get the item I ordered a month ago.

BOOM- order cancelled, refund, no more orders for play.

ezee ryder
30-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Interesting hearing about all your guys experiences with Play.com. I been using them for ages now and must say their speed of delivery has got slower. Usually used to take 1-2 days, now it takes 3-4 days. I also remember once I ordered a Gran Turismo 4 from them and it was used, disc with fingerprints and the manual was bent and ripped. They don't really package their items with a great deal of care too, not really a great sight to see the box of the new item you ordered all crumpled up and stuff. I now only if the item is at a good price and I don't mind how long it will take to arrive. If I want something game related in a hurry I usually go to Gameplay as they deliver in 1-2 days (usually 1) with no hassle and non-gaming items I deal with Amazon.

Concept
30-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Didn't someone else on here have massive problems with them and an LCD?

For some reason I've got it in my head it was Concept?

I wouldn't use them for big purchases for the very reason mentioned - you have no idea when your brand spanking new &#163;900 toy would be turning up.

Nah, Play were okay (compared to some of the other problems I had) when I bought my first HDTV from them and returned it due to a few dead pixels. I don't know what they're like now as I haven't used them in a while.

booth83
30-04-2007, 10:00 PM
probably not the best idea reading this thread just 15 minutes after placing a ?400 order, anyone know if they are currently any good at resolving issues such as dead pixels etc, not too fussed about the delivery date though, i know it won't be tomorrow which is my only day off, organised somebody to stay in and sign for it for me although would prefer to spend the day unpacking and setting up rather than when i get home from work tired and weary

MikeF
30-04-2007, 10:07 PM
I personally think they have gone downhill a little. It took them 10 days to get me my last order (a Kratos figure). I actually thought it had gotten lost so ordered a replacement from Gameplay

Spatial
30-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Nah, Play were okay (compared to some of the other problems I had) when I bought my first HDTV from them and returned it due to a few dead pixels. I don't know what they're like now as I haven't used them in a while.

Ah sorry, I had it stuck in my head it was you.

I'm not as young as I was, what are you people doing in my house etc etc

VR46
30-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Thats because play.com are based in the channel islands to dodge VAT. It takes the extra day to get the stuff over to mainland UK by boat.

Last month the government changed the law so no longer will anything &#163;17.99 and under be VAT free, which is going to hit play.com and tescodirect/tescojersey (or whatever they are called) really hard. Not sure when the new law comes into effect, but read about a few Jersey based companies closing down or moving to other countries, extreme stuff eh.

Back to the question play.com are too slow, and I mention that in every email questionnaire they send me.

eg:
Order an item say midday Monday
Item despatches Tuesday
Item normally arrives Thursday

Not good enough in this day and age.

Hope your item arrives tomorrow Jebus, otherwise you can get it redirected and I'll take it in for you on Wednesday ;)

Kongster
01-05-2007, 04:53 AM
Play.com are okay for me, although I haven't used them in a while.

Play.com's call centre is now based in Northern Ireland.

JohnMcL7
01-05-2007, 05:51 AM
I'm generally fine with Play although I'm a little annoyed with their returns process - I ordered Earth Defence Force 2017 to try and get it for the start of my off shift time. Unfortunately it arrived on my last day and better yet it was WWE RAW 2007 or some crap like that...so I e-mailed them and got a response saying to send it back at my own expense at the earliest convenience (otherwise they would charge me for the WWE game) and then once they'd received the item they'd refund my postal fees.

Given it's entirely their fault, I thought they might send a prepaid envelope with the new game so I could send the other one back and we'd all be happy. Since I've been on shift I've not been able to send the game back, which I'll now do on my off shift time so I won't see the proper game until my next off shift time...that means it's probably going to take around three weeks before I see the game.

John

Extra Terrestrial
01-05-2007, 09:27 AM
I must be alone in thinking that play.com are online shopping Gods.

The amount of DVDs I have bought from them is staggering and I have only had two problems with them; one DVD didn't have subtitles when play.com stated it did but the refund process was quick and easy and the other was the M. Night Shyamalan box-set that came in a pretty worn and torn condition but again, I got a replacement in 4-5 days.

I don't understand the complaints about how long the products take to arrive when they are based overseas and the delivery is free thus taking slightly longer than the likes of amazon (UK).

I'm sorry to hear that other people may have issues but play.com are a God-like figure - in terms of online shopping at least - to me and always have been.

VR46
01-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Don't get me wrong, I have bought plenty of DVD's etc from them, but when it comes to games, I am alot more impatient. Think they should add the option to upgrade your delivery to next day (assuming you can do that from Jersey), and anything ordered before say midday will be sent the same day.

For what it's worth, wife ordered a couple of DVD's on Sunday, shipped Monday and arrived today.

jimmbob
01-05-2007, 10:12 AM
They've always been pretty consistent with me, things tend to take around 4-5 days to get here. It's alright, better than paying for delivery, as look as you aint in a rush.
Anyway what do I care, I'm going on holiday today. :thumb:

Jebus
01-05-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't understand the complaints about how long the products take to arrive when they are based overseas and the delivery is free thus taking slightly longer than the likes of amazon (UK).

Amazon do free delivery and so do shopto.net.

Most good retailers do free delivery now.

Play.com used to be ****ing SUPREME. Back in 2001 they were like a god to me, but now...there are better alternatives.

My item has shipped, will be here tomorrow : My pants are wet in anticipation ;)

You'll see the thread tomorrow about it ;)

EDDIE M0NS00N
01-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Play.com have always been pretty slow since I started using them back in 2002. 5 days max usually, apart from at Chrimbo when they managed to get 360 Far Cry out to me next day!! I wasnt too bothered by the time it took as I thought that they were so busy they just couldnt get em out quick enough.

I've had problems though over the yrs. Platinum titles sent instead of the originals (DW 7), Fantavison arriving already opened, scratched & not working. Oh, & dont ever order GBA titles as they pack them in the same bubble wrap envelopes as DVDs meaning that the box gets squished in the post!
From other ppls experience they seem to be selling a lot of USA DS & 360 Bundle games which is obviously cheaper for them & us but is not advertised when u make a purchase. And if u intend to trade in these items in the future they may not be accepted.

I just ordered an LG Monitor from them that looks like its promising the lot. 22", Scart, S-video, VGA, DVI, TV Tuner all for &#163;199! However, I was told soon after that my account/card details werent correct & so I had to re-order. In that time they'd bumped the price up by &#163;40!! What a load of bollox!! They've dropped the price back down now but the date's been put back (again!) to ****in June! Why do they do this?
They did the same when I pre-ordered the Samsung 206bw. I gave up on that 1.
Dunno what I gonna do about the LG tho. Just seems to good to be true now.

Chief H
01-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Aye, I've ordered the LG as well. Dead gutted at the delay as I was really looking forward to getting it all set up this week for the long weekend but I guess it'll have to wait. The 22" LG does seem like an awesome deal so I might stick with it and see if it comes good eventually - there doesn't seem to be anything else around for the price point that does the same, though if it keeps getting delayed even that might change.

Miguel007
01-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Spent over &#163;4000 with them, DVD's, Games and even my HDTV (Came next day).

Everything arrives for me two days after the day it was posted, so three days really, exactly the same time frame for Play USA, no problems what-so-ever. They are my first port of call normally.

Astra
11-05-2007, 11:02 AM
unfortunately id have to agree they have gone downhill now, i ordered a 360 game last thursday and it still hasent arrived, the posted date on my account details has changed twice now and the order tracking number theyve given me for parcelfarce doesnt work either.

Been using play.com in this household for good few years and spent thousands with them, always regarded them high and pretty much my first port of call when i wanted to order something online, however now i think ill take my business elsewhere, buying the game from shopto or amazon, cancelled all my preorders and advised my friends and family to do the same.

EDDIE M0NS00N
20-05-2007, 03:10 PM
I have to say that I havent bothered with Play at all recently.
I've bought more stuff from sendit which are just as cheap & they get your goods to you a lot quicker.
I bought MS Anthology from shopto.com on Thurs night. It shipped on Fri & I got it yesterday!! Thats free 1st Class delivery & MS Anthology only cost &#163;19.99!!

I'm still really sceptical too about whether the LG 22" all in 1 Monitor I ordered will be released at the start of June. Especially as the Samsung 22" has been put back again by another month.

Tetsuo
20-05-2007, 03:55 PM
They've increased their range of products massively over the last year or so and are dissapointingly going the way of Amazon with their "customer reviews" and offering second-hand trade ins.

They never used to do all this crap - I'd say it all explains why their customer sevice is currently playing second fiddle to everything else. Shame, as the great thing about Play used to be it's no-nonsense, simple approach to buying electronics online. It's starting to now look a bit messy (though no-where near as awful as Amazon)

EDDIE M0NS00N
20-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Yeah it has gone very Amazonish lately.
Maybe its a case of a smallish company thats tried to grow just a little too quickly.

Skull Commander
20-05-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm not too happy with Play.com lately either. They are usually good for cd's, if they are due out on the monday I usually recieve them on the monday. However everything else I order seems to take around 5 working days to arrive, and in some cases around 10 days. It doesn't help that royal mail seems to have been exceptionaly slow over the last 3 months or so. When it comes to games play doesn't seem to dispatch them for launch anymore like they used to. I'm shifted my custom to shopto for all my games now.

Jebus
30-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Ordered a copy of Rainbow six vegas for a mate's birthday...

27/05/2007
"Your order for Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas has been posted."

Didn't come with this morning's post...even with the bank holiday that's still three days and they never used to be like that.

Swallow
30-05-2007, 10:05 AM
eh? It would have begun processing Tuesday, then would take the usual 2/3 days, would it not? It wouldn't get into the postal system 'til Tuesday, what with a Sunday and bank holiday...

Crimson Day
30-05-2007, 10:28 AM
exactly the postie wouldn't have picked it up from play till today :confused:

Rossco
30-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Well Play are still going strong, ordered 5 DVDs on Thursday night, not expecting them until today maybe but they arrived yesterda which was still pretty fast considering the bank holiday. :)

Jebus
30-05-2007, 10:15 PM
eh? It would have begun processing Tuesday, then would take the usual 2/3 days, would it not? It wouldn't get into the postal system 'til Tuesday, what with a Sunday and bank holiday...

Not necessarily, we DO do sunday collections and we also do bank holiday ones too. Royal Mail do work on sundays and bank holidays to process the mail, the only thing we don't do is deliver it.

I just don't understand why they'd tell me it's been posted when I'm certain it hasn't.

MartyG
30-05-2007, 10:28 PM
I don't understand why you keep ordering from them if you think they're doing such a bad job ;)

Crimson Day
30-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Well my area doesn't have pick up at most box's on a Sunday. they put it in the post delivery time is not there fault its royal mail its up to 5 working days deal with it really what can they physically do?

EDDIE M0NS00N
30-05-2007, 11:02 PM
U know I mentioned that all in one LG Monitor that I pre-ordered. Well guess what? They put the date back AGAIN!!
I really dont know whats going on with Play.com. If u cant specify a true release date then DONT ADVERTISE THE PRODUCT ffs!!
I reckon theyre waiting until all of us who pre-ordered it at its lower price of &#163;199 end up giving up & cancelling, & THEN they'll have it in stock.

Its also strange how Play.com have put the release of the Samsung 226bw monitor back by another month yet u can pick 1 up at your local PC World & for a tenner less too!!

Spatial
30-05-2007, 11:06 PM
So them not being able to get stock and release dates being changed by manufacturers is all done on purpose now? They must be going downhill then. ;)

Jebus
31-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Well my area doesn't have pick up at most box's on a Sunday. they put it in the post delivery time is not there fault its royal mail its up to 5 working days deal with it really what can they physically do?

You must live in a very small area then because all large post boxes are cleared once on a sunday, though you might not know it as it isn't advertised always. However that may change as part of the pay deal royal mail want it scrapped.

MartyG, I've only ordered from the twice since posting this...the first was the reason I posted it, and the second was the time I've recently posted about and was because they were the cheapest place for Rainbow Six Vegas, as I've noticed ShopTo occasionally "run out" of a product.

My point wasn't that it actually takes up to 3-5 days, it was that when I started shopping with them around 2002, they still said 3-5 days but usually it took 1. So in my eyes, the delivery times have gotten worse, the price of success possibly.

eastyy
31-05-2007, 08:48 AM
i used to order alot of stuff from them

seems now they dont ship certain items to ireland.......i also had this problem with gameplay to

smallvillex
31-05-2007, 09:54 AM
i used to order alot of stuff from them

seems now they dont ship certain items to ireland.......i also had this problem with gameplay to

Really? How come? :confused:

EDDIE M0NS00N
31-05-2007, 10:35 AM
So them not being able to get stock and release dates being changed by manufacturers is all done on purpose now? They must be going downhill then. ;)

Yeah yeah very sarcastic. The point I'm trying to make is they shouldnt have advertised at such an unbelievably low price that they obviously now dont want to sell it at. Read my post back on page 4 & you'll see what I am getting at. I checked my account after ordering @ ?199 to be told that my account details were invalid & my order wouldnt be sent until my details were corrected eventhough there was nothing wrong with my details or the Card I used. This happened on the same day as the monitor suddenly went up in price by ?40. Coincidence? And if there is no exact release for it then they shouldnt be advertising it. Why ddint they just do what other shops do & give your email detaisl so they can give u updates rather than getting your hopes up all the time.

Pirotic
31-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Play have gone downhill, I still use them when they have something on offer but they are no longer my first port of call.

I've spent over ?10,000 at play.com, never had any problems until they sent out my Supreme Commander game which was totally bashed to death before it was even put in the play.com packaging (it arrived with the outer packet perfect, but the box inside was seriously torn and dented and even a bit soggy!). Phone them up to ask for a replacement, only to be told I'd have to post that one back to them at my expense so they can see it for themselves.

They wouldn't arrange collection, and they wouldn't refund my delivery and said I'd have to send it special delivery as if it got lost in the post, I wouldn't get my refund either. Bastards! ?10,000 spent yet they are rude enough to assume i'm trying to rip them off ?24 to get a second copy of the game :P lame.

eastyy
31-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Really? How come? :confused:

no idea just when i try to order some games or dvds it says will not ship to my address

Salsa Party Animal
01-06-2007, 09:21 AM
I find Play.com had been very good to me over the years, but I noticed the standard had been dropping recently especially speed of order processing. Probably due to being too popular and couldn't keep up the demand. I still use them. I will have a look at shopto.net

Dogg Thang
01-06-2007, 09:44 AM
no idea just when i try to order some games or dvds it says will not ship to my address

You're in Ireland so the order has to be in Euros. All you have to do when adding stuff to your basket is have the currency set to Euros. Unless they've got some other problem going on.

Jebus
01-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Vegas STILL not turned up :s I guess it may have been lost/nicked in the post then cos they've NEVER taken a whole week to get something to me...I can't file the lost claim for about 2/3 weeks anyway, so I'll have to give my mate my copy for his birthday and file the claim when that period is up.

MJ
05-07-2007, 10:18 AM
As a long time customer of Play's I was disappointed with the recent delivery of an MP3 player I bought as a gift. It took Parcel Force 24 two days to delivery after Play's dispatch e-mail and the main problem is it was sent in a bag, not a box with bubble wrap or a Jiffy Bag, just the &#163;135 product in its retail packaging in a sealable black bag. The box was a little damaged and this sort of thing really annoys me because I take great care of everything I own, but thankfully the product itself is fine.

Soi
05-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Vegas STILL not turned up :s I guess it may have been lost/nicked in the post then cos they've NEVER taken a whole week to get something to me...I can't file the lost claim for about 2/3 weeks anyway, so I'll have to give my mate my copy for his birthday and file the claim when that period is up.

Ring Play. The only time something got lost in the post they sent a replacement straight away.

eastyy
05-07-2007, 10:49 AM
cdwow seem to have gone downhill ALOT since that sony thing

MarioMark
27-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Really frustrated with play.com at the moment, I've posted a faulty mobile phone back to them via specail delivery last Monday, and they haven't got back to me with any emails or nothing back in the post, it's a swine to find their phone number on the site. I had to find the number on a 3rd party site.

Does anyone know how long returns take with them? :curse:

Chadruharazzeb
28-07-2007, 12:24 AM
I ordered R6:Vegas off Play and it arrived in 3 days!

As did a couple of books I asked of them.

No complaints from me.

MarioMark
28-07-2007, 10:28 AM
I ordered R6:Vegas off Play and it arrived in 3 days!

As did a couple of books I asked of them.

No complaints from me.

Don't get me wrong, I normally have smooth transactions too. I hope my issue is a one off. :hmm:

burntoutbanger
28-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Really frustrated with play.com at the moment, I've posted a faulty mobile phone back to them via specail delivery last Monday, and they haven't got back to me with any emails or nothing back in the post, it's a swine to find their phone number on the site. I had to find the number on a 3rd party site.

Does anyone know how long returns take with them? :curse:

Go to their home page and scroll down, you can't miss it.

:)

MJ
28-07-2007, 01:18 PM
It's trying to e-mail them that's the nightmare.

MarioMark
30-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Go to their home page and scroll down, you can't miss it.

:)

What, you mean the one at the bottom in MASSIVE ORANGE WRITING that I was too stupid to notice? :rolleyes: :blush:

I've posted a faulty mobile phone back to them via special delivery last Monday, and they haven't got back to me with any emails or nothing back in the post,

I called them up today asking what's going on. I told them I've sent the phone back and that they've not got back to me via email, the women on the phone just said ok and refunded me the money, that was too easy. :hmm:

But sorted now anyway. :)

ascender
30-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Their delivery times have become a joke recently, I don't know what's happened to them.

Kongster
30-09-2007, 03:18 PM
I haven't used Play.com for ages and when I ordered a TV from them on Thursday, the delivery process is turning out to be rather slow....

Since Thursday, the status of my order has been showing as "packing"?! True, there was a problem with my account - I had to verify my card details which I sorted out on Thursday. So just why the status of my order is still showing as "packing" bemuses me.

I just called them up and they said they'll look into it and get is dispatched asap blah blah blah.

Are they really like this these days? If so, I'm gonna have to think twice about using them in future.

MJ
30-09-2007, 05:08 PM
The only thing I've bought from them since my MP3 player incident above (http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showpost.php?p=1139971&postcount=65) is the Halo 3 Legendary Edition and thankfully it arrived without any damage to its packaging. The LE was sent to me in the cardboard box used to send two of them to retailers and despite all the extra space in the box they didn't fill it with any padding to prevent the LE box from moving around inside, so I was really pleased when I opened it to find the box unscathed.

SubparMario
30-09-2007, 05:41 PM
I like Play. Unlike Amazon, they seem capable of packaging CDs so that the jewel cases don't get mashed to pieces, every time, without fail.

Lyris
30-09-2007, 05:44 PM
I very rarely order stuff from the UK (well, stores targeting the UK that is), but when it's from Play it's usually good. Unlike Amazon, they at least dispatch quickly.

analog dog
02-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Hmm i'll add my 2 penneth worth.
I pre-ordered halo 3 they took the money from my account the wednesday (a week before release).
On that friday it said that the item had been despatched,I recieved my disc on the following thursday.
I could have bought it from blockbuster,not good.

DarkSavior
02-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Last month the government changed the law so no longer will anything ?17.99 and under be VAT free, which is going to hit play.com and tescodirect/tescojersey (or whatever they are called) really hard. Not sure when the new law comes into effect, but read about a few Jersey based companies closing down or moving to other countries, extreme stuff eh.

Yeah, I live in Jersey and that is going to really suck for businesses over here, we have quite a number that do the ole VAT thing for mail order.

Anyone getting games sent to them in 1-2 days in mainland UK from them should consider themselves lucky because we always get days added on for when we order things from overseas over here (maybe customs are harsher as well?) which is a real pain. I wanted to kill everyone whilst waiting for the original import Shenmue to arrive it took so long (wow that was a long time ago!).

Olie

iloveannie
02-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Play are very slow nowadays. Verrrryyyyy slow. Perhaps they get the cows to deliver them now?

C'
03-10-2007, 05:31 PM
A week ago I would have praised Play.com to the hilt. They got me a Halo 3: Legendary Edition in a perfect nick.

However this week, I'm less impressed. Placed a pre-order for an item last week and I noticed the item was classed as "In stock" yesterday and in fact I know a few people got confirmation that there order was shipped yesterday. However I check mine this morning and the status is "Packing" and I come home to check again and it still says packing. What have they been doing with it all day?

With the postal strike from Friday onwards, I guess I won't get it until next week now. It only bugs me because of the fact that the item will have clearly been in stock for about 48 hours before it finally gets sent out to me which is shocking for a pre-order.

Dazzyman
03-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Yep their terrible gone downhill since 360 launch fiasco. Anyone that read the Halo 3 in headlines topic will have read mine got cancelled for no reason, I phoned up first to make sure my account wasnt compromised and then to check about the game (if they cancelled it for lack of stock fair enough) not intrested. Asked to speak to superivsor who from the off went off on a rampaging rant at me shouting. He refused to look at my account with my breach worry firstly, blamed me for cancelling it said they cant cancel (they cancelled my 360 so I not thats untrue), then said it was my ISPs fault it had got cancelled and to take it up with them. Everytime I tried to speak he shouted over me and wouldnt listen.

I was smacked up on pethadine that day (ill nothing else heh) and even asked him to try and let me speak due to being ill as I was pretty quiet and slurring a tiny bit but no kept ranting. He refused to let me reorder it said he couldnt as it was delisted and kept shouting over and over it would have gone to another customer already even though it was 20mins later (how when it was delisted unless lack of stock ;) ). He wouldnt listen to any of my worries about the account breach at all and said yet again blame my ISP (yea lost me too) in the end I said to him retorically not much point in being a customer with you is their when you treat customers like this and he said ok no problem I will close your account for you now then and bam instantly shut before I could say out else. Thats long term customer over 200dvds since I think 99ish (but admit myself Ive only used them 3times since 360 fiasco as they shouted at me then) and a lovely shouty attitude for this.

Im just glad my account wasnt hacked thats all! He also went thru the roof when my last comment was I was going to post on here how you get treated screaming at me that I was threatening him, all very odd when I was placid, quiet and non threatening thru owt. He also refused to give me any details of the first bloke I spoke to, wouldnt give me his full name and refused to give me the business address of the headoffice so I could write a complaint. He said I had to write to them via email with my account, how can you when they shut it?

So bye bye Play you will not be missed ;)

C'
04-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Haha, what a joke!

Despite yesterday the status of my order being "Packing" (which according to site meant processing of payment was complete and my goods were being prepared to be shipped) the status of the order is now "Processing" (We are currently processing payment for your order).

Muppets

charlesr
04-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Ordered Xyanide Resurrection PS2 and they sent it same day, arrived next day.

Daragon
04-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Play with a next day delivery to the mainland? You must have caught them on a good day, that's all I'll say.

Half a week at least is their usual best.

Although however bad play might be, they don't come close to the snail mail of HMV online. I ordered a 13 month live sub from them on the 27th and despite having been told "it's on it's way" the following day, it's still not reached me.

Yoshimax
04-10-2007, 09:25 PM
I wonder if play has gone **** because of people starting threads on forums enquiring as to their ****ness which then become threads for complaining about them which become self perpetuating......... :D

Beelzebot
04-10-2007, 09:54 PM
I don't think I've ever had anything arrive next day from Play. Usually it's a minimum of three days after shipping before it arrives in Edinburgh. I ordered a headset for my PC on Saturday and it arrived on Wednesday which is about average for them. Interestingly, it went to packing almost immediately so I couldn't cancel if I wanted to change my mind, then went to processing for a bit before back to packing and eventually being shipped.

I use them for convenience as much as anything else, but if I want something in a hurry, for a birthday or whatever, then I shop elsewhere.

Dazzyman
04-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Na they used to be great for me, as I said I bought over 200 dvds from them since around 1998/99 (cant remember exactly I started using them) and thats even with stopping in since 360 launch. Never had anything arrive any earlier than 3days either their in Jersey so the going rate for me was 3-5 days average 5days. Customer service used to be great you could phone them up no problem and they even had a proper listing for emailing them and contacting their address, now its all hidden from view (they changed it after 360 launch) and the staff well not good for me anyway.

funkydan
14-12-2007, 09:42 AM
I know it's a busy time of year, but I bought Links Crossbow Training on Tuesday and the money has already been debited from my bank account (this happened a couple of days ago) but the status is still saying 'packing'!! Does time slow down in Play.com-land? My previous experiences with them have never been this bad :(

Worse still, strangely their contact number 'seems' to be out of action, so I can't get hold of them! Anyone got a contact number for them other than 0845 800 1020?

[EDIT] s'okay, that number works now...just on hold!

djjimbob
14-12-2007, 11:13 AM
... then said it was my ISPs fault it had got cancelled and to take it up with them. Everytime I tried to speak he shouted over me and wouldnt listen.

Who is with your broadband providings?
You can pay ?18 for the first 3 month, then ?42 for the next 18 month.

RuBiQ
14-12-2007, 11:28 AM
They are not are bad as choices uk

I ordered a dvd on the 27th Nov and the tossers still havent sent it yet. :(

Mad Gear
28-12-2007, 03:52 PM
2 DVD's just turned up after 17 days in the wild?

ItsThere
28-12-2007, 04:12 PM

I ordered a dvd on the 27th Nov and the tossers still havent sent it yet. :(

Haven't then gone/are going up the swanny?

Del Boy
28-12-2007, 04:15 PM

I ordered a dvd on the 27th Nov and the tossers still havent sent it yet. :(I ordered a wii classic controller, was posted same day and turned up 2 days later from choices.

Play have also been good on most things.

I think the problem is with the royal mail tbh, utter *******.

sj33
28-12-2007, 04:35 PM
They banned and blacklisted me... for preordering a 360. Bizzare stuff, though it cheered me up when GamePlay got me a unit on launch day, and they had all those problems.

I'd love to order from them, but they won't let me o.o

MJ
28-12-2007, 05:48 PM
They banned and blacklisted me... for preordering a 360. Bizzare stuff, though it cheered me up when GamePlay got me a unit on launch day, and they had all those problems.

I'd love to order from them, but they won't let me o.o
What? :confused:

HaHaUK
28-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Ordered a couple of HDDVDs from them a few days before Christmas and all of the ones that were in stock at the time have turned up in under a week.

IanE
28-12-2007, 10:57 PM
From the original poster, even though it was ages ago I just find you to be extremely rude. It's an online system, not what they're actually doing right now - so what if they don't update straight away? They don't state they update their listings immediately, it's what happens in a huge company with thousands of orders per day, get over it. Not to mention they're Jersey-based aren't they? Don't want to pay VAT? Wait for your order, if you do, go for Shopto who aren't nearly as big and only sell small gaming items.

kryss
28-12-2007, 11:49 PM
I have never had a problem with play.com, their prices are great and they send the in-stock items out quickly.

Ian(not Ian)
29-12-2007, 10:10 AM
I've been using Play for years 'n' years now. To be fair I've never had cause to contact them about an order as everything I've ordered has been promptly posted and arrived within 3 days or so.

I make it a point only to order items that are instock whenever possible. Their 'Will be dispatched as soon as it arrives' pledge seems to be a bit of a lottery.

I have had some orders open now since nov 2006, aye, over a year now and the items are not yet in stock. I am confident any attempt to contact them asking when the items will actually be in stock* I would get....
'Duh...adunnodoi' response. Hence I've not bothered even trying.

*each week the instock date is moved forward a week...neverending story.

ChrisF
29-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Think Play lost the plot over Christmas. They refunded my Sister In Law for a couple of orders they'd actually sent her, and even sent her several copies of another DVD.

capcom_suicide
29-12-2007, 11:14 AM
I have never had a problem with play.com, their prices are great and they send the in-stock items out quickly.

Same here, I've had dozens of items sent to the Uk and Norway over the years, and Play remain my number 1 supplier online.

Paradigm
29-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Ordered books, CDs and DVDs off them for Christmas and they were all delivered promptly.

kryss
29-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Thinking about it, I started using Play.com in 2000 when it was called "play247" and the first thing I bought was the best of Naughty By Nature on CD.
I've had 7 years of great service from them.

FelixofMars
29-12-2007, 03:54 PM
I would say Amazon where great at one point in time, then they started go downhill so I swapped to Play as they where cheaper and had better service in general. Now I go to Shopto as both Play and Amazon can't seem to find there arses with both their hands.

shanaleonhart
29-12-2007, 08:36 PM
I've never had any problems with play.com and I've been ordering from them since hmm.. 2002? If not before that. Most items arrive quite quickly and I've never had to return anything. I have ordered a couple of items over the years that they've never actually been able to get in stock for some strange reason.

Jebus
04-09-2009, 01:09 PM
I never learn do I.

Bought a bit of electronics off them on tuesday with "Usually ships in 24 hours" under it. Rang the courier company today to find out they picked it up recently and it would be delivered Monday.

Meaning a 4 working day turnout for something of high value.

The play.com help was hilarious, when questioning why my product hadn't been dispatched in the 24 hours it states, I was told "Sir, that is just a guideline for our customers"...err, you mean customers like the one you are speaking to?

Wouldn't mind but the courier company they use (HDNL) actually lied to me yesterday, telling me the parcel would "definitely be with you tomorow", having checked the tracking, something didn't seem right, so rang them again...and yep, Monday. "I'm sorry about that" was all I got when I told them THEY said it'd "definitely be here" today. She may as well have put the phone down, she didn't care.

So I've learnt my lesson this time, play.com won't get any more of my money.

abigsmurf
04-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Yep, never use play.com for something you want fast.

The annoying thing is they don't send out pre-orders early to compensate for their slow shipping either.

Jebus
04-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Like I said, I just didn't learn my lesson. Occasionally they just have an irresistable deal and I couldn't resist it.

funkydan
04-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Amazon are soooooooooo much better and quicker, and it is worth signing up to Amazon Prime (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/subs/primeclub/signup/main.html/) too, especially if you buy a lot from them! Their customer service is great too, especially on returns :D

Jebus
04-09-2009, 01:42 PM
I really did look around for this deal elsewhere btw, but it was SOOOO good.

abigsmurf
04-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Amazon are soooooooooo much better and quicker, and it is worth signing up to Amazon Prime (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/subs/primeclub/signup/main.html/) too, especially if you buy a lot from them! Their customer service is great too, especially on returns :D

Love the way you can order something at 6pm and there's still a reasonable chance it'll be on your doorstep 8am the next day.

funkydan
04-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Yup abs, couldn't agree more - it is the best online service around I'd say.

Malc
04-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Yep, never use play.com for something you want fast.

The annoying thing is they don't send out pre-orders early to compensate for their slow shipping either.

All the games I have ever pre-ordered with Play thy have sent it out on Tuesday or Wednesday, and I've recieved every game on release date or 1 day before.

NW2013
04-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I don't think I'll ever be desparate enough to have something show up the next day to lay out 50 notes a year. Super saver delivery and getting it the same week is good enough for me :)

Play is my less preferred option. Sometimes their stuff (CDs) are obvious grey imports or show up without cellophane wrapping. They also royally screwed up my Xbox 360 pre-order (ordered ages in advance but it seemed people who orderd later got theirs before me) and I ended up getting it elsewhere. Bought a TV from Play and I liked the way they took security precautions and when a game I ordered went "missing" in the post they replaced it free of charge and without fuss. Swings and roundabouts I guess. I would use them again but only if the deal was amazing.

Malc: you must be lucky, any game I preordered was with me at least 2-3 days after release.

Spatial
04-09-2009, 03:31 PM
All I know about Play these days is that they have a horrible tendacy to overstretch themselves on things that aren't run of the mill DVD's / Books / Blu-rays.

At least three time I've had the dreaded "Sorry but we can't get this item " email, despite having pre-ordered months and months in advance.

You just know when that release date keeps going back by two / three weeks at a time then there's no chance in hell you're going to get your order and you might as well try to start sourcing it from somewhere else asap.

Current favourite date for them to put on things is 11/09/09 - which seems to roughly translate as "We haven't got a sodding clue when this is coming in, but hopefully this date will convince you otherwise..."

Jebus
04-09-2009, 03:38 PM
I would use them again but only if the deal was amazing.

This deal was an absolute steal imho, couldn't pass it up but I've learnt my lesson, I'll never use them again. No deal is worth this.

FelixofMars
04-09-2009, 05:06 PM
LOL - I like how this has reawaken a 2007 thread. What i said still stands. I either use Shopto, The Hut or Gameplay. I think I pre ordered the Assassin Creed Black Pack from them as they are the only stockists but... I don't hold out hope for swift delivery.

Adam
24-11-2009, 11:16 PM
These guys emailed me used Dragon Age Origins codes :D

capcom_suicide
15-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Guys does anyone know if Play has had some delivery issues? If it says "Posted" does that mean it reall has been sent?

I am only just getting items posted on the 21st Dec! (To Norway)

Normal post takes 5-8 days. (4-6 days from UK, 1-2 days internally)

15-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Christmas backlog maybe? The weather here in blighty has played havoc on transport of late.

112 :)

Skull Commander
15-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I did have 2 Christmas presents go missing over the festive period (suspiciously they were both the same items), but was able to claim replacements for them both last week without trouble.

NekoFever
15-01-2010, 05:52 PM
I've had no problems beyond the usual festive slowdown that always happens in December. Ordered a Blu-ray on Tuesday and it arrived today.

The one time anything from Play didn't turn up I just emailed them and they immediately sent out a replacement, no questions asked. I've spent a small fortune there over the years so I don't know if it's the same for everyone or just them keeping the loyal customers sweet :p

Rep
13-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Bah, ordered 3 Valentine's gifts on Monday morning, only one has shown up today and it's completely the wrong item (?2.99 iPod case instead of a book). :(

cutmymilk
15-02-2010, 09:56 AM
What did you do instead?

Daragon
15-02-2010, 10:44 AM
I've had play **** up an order like that for me before, got sent a bloody Phil Vickery cookery book instead of my collector's edition Killzone 2 guide - was not happy, emailed them about it and they sent the replacement book, wanted their old one back but no dice :lol:

cutmymilk
15-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Haha thats a great cock up.

SuperDanX
21-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Play.com sold for ?25 million http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/sep/21/playcom-sold-rakuten-japan?newsfeed=true

buster_broon
21-09-2011, 09:44 PM
When stuff goes missing they are a complete joke

Took 55 days to get a ?10 refund

Mayhem
22-09-2011, 05:00 AM
Seems awfully low value on the sale there... oh right, due to the loophole being closed.

BaronSqwelch
22-09-2011, 08:57 PM
When stuff goes missing they are a complete joke

Took 55 days to get a ?10 refund

I had an xbox controller go missing on nov 17th last year. Took til May to get it back.

MattyHustedUk
23-09-2011, 03:40 PM
wonder if their service will improve