PDA

View Full Version : Someone has to ask...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

iloveannie
06-05-2007, 08:32 AM
...why did the parents of the little girl leave their children alone? I may not know all the details but that sounds pretty poor to me.

Prophet Hero
06-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Apparently, each of the parents took turns to check up on the kids throughout their meal.

I don't feel too comfortable making any comments since I'm not a parent myself but your question was the first to leap to my mind.

VR46
06-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Poor is a understatement, they were obviously more worried about enjoying themselves with food and drink than the safety of their kids. Says it all.

Hope they find the girl safe and sound and the parents get locked up for neglect.

And that's my restrained answer, don't know how anyone with kids would leave them alone and go to a restaurant down the road.

Ciaran
06-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Huh? Whats all this about?

VR46
06-05-2007, 09:00 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6629091.stm

Jebus
06-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Poor is a understatement, they were obviously more worried about enjoying themselves with food and drink than the safety of their kids. Says it all.

Hope they find the girl safe and sound and the parents get locked up for neglect.

And that's my restrained answer, don't know how anyone with kids would leave them alone and go to a restaurant down the road.

Isn't there a law that states you CANNOT leave children on their own until a certain age? I think it's 14 actually...

I actually didn't realise the child was on her own, I thought the aunt or something was there too and was asleep that's how it happened, I hadn't heard the full story til recently.

But ****ing hell, my wife and I went out to see Ricky Gervais a couple of months before no2 was born, left John with his grandparents, even for 3 hours we sit there only half enjoying ourselves, hoping our little boy isn't missing us too much and is ok :) I mean, now we have our second sometimes on a saturday my mum takes John out for a few hours to give us a break, and you panic then if they aren't back on time, what's happened etc! Don't get me wrong, we're not panicy worrysome parents, just giving examples.

When you become a parent, that's your choice, but you have to give up a few things, as much as you give up you gain because being a parent is a wonderful experience. The thought of going out and leaving our children on their own...well to be honest, it's not something I've EVER actually thought about, it wouldn't even cross our minds. Jesus, most parents don't like leaving their children on their own for 10 seconds while they put the bins out let alone ****ing off for a meal! The harm a child can do to themselves left alone for 5 seconds is bad enough...

Basically I agree 100% with you David, but I won't comment any further, like you, a restrained answer.

Spagoli
06-05-2007, 09:29 AM
For me the first thing I though wrongly was they must have been a couple of chav pikeys more interested in throwing cheap beer down their necks, turns out hes a cardiologist and she's a GP. Another stereotype broken for me.

Hope shes ok, this whole police thing that they know who abducted her and where she is is very weird. Again another stereotype but I thought Police in the continent would be kicking the door in shooting first and worrying about questions later?

VR46
06-05-2007, 09:50 AM
The reports I've read didn't mention she was left with an Aunt, more implied she had be left with the two year old twins.

eg

The Ocean Club resort offers a creche service but the couple decided to leave Madeleine and two-year-old twins Sean and Amelie sleeping in the apartment while they went to a nearby restaurant.

c00ke5ter
06-05-2007, 10:08 AM
You're not alone, it was my first thought also.

I really hope she is found ok, but as you say, questions need to be asked about the parental responsibilities here.

(three daughters, 7, 5, and 3, and I wouldn't leave the 7yr old on her own, never mind the other two!!)

Dogg Thang
06-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Strangely enough, I recently looked into a holiday for me, my wife and our fourteen week old baby. I didn't know if people actually go on holidays with babies. Anyway, a hotel known for being a family hotel told us that people do it all the time and they have a system set up where you can leave your child in your room with the phone off the hook and then you can ring into the room periodically to check if there is any sound - meaning you would be leaving the child in the room on their own which, to me, is crazy. This is a regular system they have going and, from the sounds of it, lots of people were using it.

I wouldn't dream of leaving our child alone while we went off somewhere but it seemed from that that there are plenty who will. This bunch isn't the only people doing it. Crazy stuff.

Jebus
06-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Strangely enough, I recently looked into a holiday for me, my wife and our fourteen week old baby. I didn't know if people actually go on holidays with babies.

We did, we took our very young son...may have been 6 month old.

It wasn't great, but I won't scare you as to what happened...there's a thread someone in this forum about it.

BeyondJumpFish
06-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Yeah it seems quite poor parenting to leave two 2 years olds and a 3 year old on there own. Not just for child snatchers but what if theres a fire or one of them gets up and hurts themselves??
Another thing, I wanna know how the hell these sick child snatchers always know when a child is on its own?! This world is FUBAR!

wicky
06-05-2007, 11:58 AM
the fathers friends reunited entry just about says it all tbh

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/friendsreunited.asp?WCI=OtherProfile&member_key=7964340&surname=McCann

to quote him

April 2005- Back in Leicester and looking for a job. Now father of three with Sean and Amelie joing Maddie. Anyone fancy babysitting?

Poor bairn

sj33
06-05-2007, 12:59 PM
I suppose they thought they were being responsible by checking back every hour... I don't think I could leave a kid unattended that long, but I really don't know what it's like to be a parent so...

Didn't the resturant have some kind of creshe service which they didn't use?

Jebus
06-05-2007, 01:21 PM
That's what the story says yep.

Being responsible would be to either :

1. Get a babysitter
2. Use the hotels babysitting/creche facility
3. NOT ****ing go out.

I was shocked enough, but when I read todays paper and realised they had left all THREE of their children on their own...Jesus H Christ...unbelievable.

I hope they are thanking God that only one of the kids was taken, it sounds like it could have been a lot worse.

ascender
06-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Its an awful story, but I can't believe they'd leave their kids alone like that. When the story first broke, the travel company that was responsible for the resort were named (and shamed by default) but its since come out that they operate a creche service. Just doesn't make any sense as to why the parents didn't use it.

I just hope that the girl comes back safe and sound.

Jebus
06-05-2007, 04:28 PM
News today is that they know who has her, he's a known paedophile, and they are hoping to find him very quickly...they think he may be near the resort still!

wicky
06-05-2007, 06:21 PM
News today is that they know who has her, he's a known paedophile, and they are hoping to find him very quickly...they think he may be near the resort still!

i feel sick :(

Yoshimax
06-05-2007, 06:46 PM
It's a self-gratifying world we live in these days unfortunately - the parents in some way probably figured they "deserved it" and went out accordingly.

If she's been taken by a known paedo then I don't see the point in posting "I hope she's alright" because there's probably a 1% chance of that now.

I'd hope that social services will be visiting them on their return to assess the family situation.

edit : From the South side of Glasgow. How embarassing.

Jebus
06-05-2007, 06:57 PM
I'd hope that social services will be visiting them on their return to assess the family situation.

It's not just illegal in the UK, according to the same news article that said it was a known paedophile, it is also illegal in Portugal and after the case is solved/finished with, they may face legal action there too.

Gerry Helmet
07-05-2007, 05:04 PM
edit : From the South side of Glasgow. How embarassing.
They stay in Rothley in Leicestershire, not that it makes a diffrence. Its sad watching the rest of the family clutch straws and blame the response time of the police and everyone else.

sj33
07-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I suppose this is also one of those things where you don't think it'll happen to you until it does. Not saying that excuses them, but I feel reluctant to outright blast them.

As usual, the papers are milking this for all it's worth.

saif
07-05-2007, 09:40 PM
They would do. Cute little white girl. No other type of girl seems to go missing, unless you look at statistics.

In the UK, police recorded 846 cases of child abductions in 2002/03
ec.europa.eu/justice_home/news/information_dossiers/ missing_children_day_2006/commission_action_en.htm

It is a terrible thing to have happened but a terrible thing that did not have to happen.

iloveannie
09-05-2007, 10:46 AM
One of the papers (Express I think) said that the coppers dealing with the case were lacking in experience. I think that is a wonderful thing personally as it hints at the complete lack of this type of crime in that area.

There really are some evil people in this world. I really hope there is a hell for them. To steal one thing is something but to steal someone's child?! I cannot comprehend the horror that the family must be going through, let alone that poor little girl. Life is so precious and terror is so real.

VR46
09-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Must admit the longer it goes on the worse it looks, still hopefully it could all still turn-out OK.

eastyy
09-05-2007, 10:59 AM
heard something on the news last night i couldnt believe it

they wouldnt put the photo fit out of the suspect cos it was against the law ????????? wtf

Spagoli
09-05-2007, 11:02 AM
I cant even begin to imagine how the parents must feel and don't feel able to judge them, sure the press angle on this will affect your impression, also cant believe how on earth they can keep it together in the public appeals they are making, they must be incredibly brave or strong. Like you say it could turn out OK but the longer it goes on the worse it looks.

EDDIE M0NS00N
09-05-2007, 03:14 PM
They stay in Rothley in Leicestershire, not that it makes a diffrence. Its sad watching the rest of the family clutch straws and blame the response time of the police and everyone else.

Thats totally what I was thinking too!! Someone else is always to blame!!

What is wrong with people & not taking responsibility for their own actions?. I didnt want to say anything for fear of being linched but it seems others are thinking the same.
Both parents go out for a meal, ignore the cresh facilities & leave 3 children alone in an appartment on their own?!! I call that selfish.

It mentioned on the news last night that when the parents were popping back to check on them they were apparently only 60 yds away, as opposed to the 200 yds mentioned when the story 1st broke. So whats going on there?

And the police & the resort are being dragged thru the dirt by the media when its not their fault that the parents couldnt be arsed.

I too hope they find the girl alive & well, but the parents should take the rap for this 1 totally!!

dataDave
09-05-2007, 04:06 PM
We have tons of 'known' peados living around this very school. It's as if they house them in prime 'watching' spots.

People in this modern world need discipline. If I ran the country I'd feed all 'known' peados to rabid dogs and film it, NOT house them next to kiddy 'hot-spots'. But then again I'd bring back mass executions.

J0e Musashi
09-05-2007, 04:15 PM
If I ran the country I'd feed all 'known' peados to rabid dogs and film it

You'll never make champine with that attitude Fallows. It'd just start off a new underground community of people who got off on watching paedos get eaten by rabid dogs.

BeyondJumpFish
09-05-2007, 05:12 PM
heard something on the news last night i couldnt believe it

they wouldnt put the photo fit out of the suspect cos it was against the law ????????? wtf

Yeah i heard about this. Apparentlly its called "Police Confidentiality" or something. It meens its against the law over there to talk about the case or release information to the public. :confused:

dataDave
09-05-2007, 05:20 PM
You'll never make champine with that attitude Fallows. It'd just start off a new underground community of people who got off on watching paedos get eaten by rabid dogs.

And that's a bad thing?

I'd call it 'Dog Eat Peado club'. And the first rule of Dog Eat Peado Club is...

SubparMario
09-05-2007, 05:27 PM
No poodles.

BeyondJumpFish
09-05-2007, 06:14 PM
The second rule of Dog Eat Peado Club is..."Sic Balls!"

jimmbob
10-05-2007, 01:45 PM
E-Fit (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=453724&in_page_id=1770&ito=newsnow)
:rolleyes:

spagmasterswift
10-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Jesus, if he shaves his head they will never catch him.

bootmonster
10-05-2007, 01:54 PM
that's a piss take, jesus

Jesus, if he shaves his head they will never catch him.

sorry, but lol

kernow
10-05-2007, 01:56 PM
OMG a man with no face, how will they ever catch him

If i were him I'd paint some fake eyes on , or wear a grim reaper style hood that obscured my facial void from other passers by.

J0e Musashi
10-05-2007, 01:59 PM
I don't trust the mom. She doesn't cry enough for my liking. It'll be like Scooby Doo. They'll take her mask off to reveal the faceless egg-person, and she'll give it that pesky kids talk. No seriously though, if my boy went missing I'd be all over the place. She doesn't seem that affected by it to me.

spagmasterswift
10-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Yet you should have seen her face when they told her the bill didn't include service charge!

VR46
10-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Back to seriousness.

Sounds like the Police might be getting somewhere arfter tip-offs about two men and a women spotted in a car nearby (with UK plates), details on bbc website, admittedly you have to search for it. Their dedication to Tony Blair's reign is deemed more important.

ascender
12-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Don't know about anyone else, but I have the Beeb News as my home page and its just getting more awful by the day seeing that wee girl's picture on it. I really hope they find her safe and sound.

dvdmike
12-05-2007, 11:02 PM
We get frantic parents in out shop with missing kids in town, one was in tears and just a mess when he came back (went to the loo in town) she said don't wonder off again and then said to me "We wonders off alot"
WTF is that about ! if he wonder off keep you eye on him not your new dress you stupid cow.
As for the mothers that use us as a babysitting service then thery caome back after HOURS and ask where their kids are ! "didn't you see him" I feel like saying we called a local murderer and pointed him out to him.
They get so mad that we were not looking after them !

iloveannie
13-05-2007, 05:43 PM
We get frantic parents in out shop with missing kids in town, one was in tears and just a mess when he came back (went to the loo in town) she said don't wonder off again and then said to me "We wonders off alot"
WTF is that about ! if he wonder off keep you eye on him not your new dress you stupid cow.
As for the mothers that use us as a babysitting service then thery caome back after HOURS and ask where their kids are ! "didn't you see him" I feel like saying we called a local murderer and pointed him out to him.
They get so mad that we were not looking after them !

Not sure if you have kids but if you don't just wait till you do :) You'll learn ;)

dvdmike
13-05-2007, 05:48 PM
I don't want kinds and if I did in a town like ours and in this day and age I would not leave them alone

booth83
13-05-2007, 06:45 PM
i remember a few months back a woman would come in early on saturday morning, leave her kid (who was about 7) playing on the pods in the store and then wonder off literally for the rest of the day and come back with her shopping, we asked the kid where she was and his response was that she did it all the time, it was obvious he was aware that he'd just been dumped so he wasn't "in her way", this lasted for 3 weeks eventually told her i'd have to bar him if it happened again, not that it was his fault she was a bad mother but if he was barred then she couldn't just dump him, my only worry was that she'd just find somewhere else to dump him, i wish i'd said more about how disgusted i was at her to be honest

EDDIE M0NS00N
13-05-2007, 07:11 PM
I don't want kinds and if I did in a town like ours and in this day and age I would not leave them alone

I'm like u dvdmike. Me & my lady have decided that we dont want kids but if we were we'd be sensible enough to know there's plenty of dodgy ppl out there (it nearly happened to me as a child) so we wouldnt leave them on their own incase they either got nabbed or had an accident.

fragmast3r
13-05-2007, 08:04 PM
i remember a few months back a woman would come in early on saturday morning, leave her kid (who was about 7) playing on the pods in the store and then wonder off literally for the rest of the day and come back with her shopping, we asked the kid where she was and his response was that she did it all the time, it was obvious he was aware that he'd just been dumped so he wasn't "in her way", this lasted for 3 weeks eventually told her i'd have to bar him if it happened again, not that it was his fault she was a bad mother but if he was barred then she couldn't just dump him, my only worry was that she'd just find somewhere else to dump him, i wish i'd said more about how disgusted i was at her to be honest

people like this shouldnt have kids, i have a 9 year old and a 6 year old, wife works evenings (3 a week) and i dont like her walking home, even thought its only 10 minute walk, so each night she works i wake the kids up for the 5 minute round trip and put them back to bed, ive never entertained the thought of leaving them in bed alone!!

if we go shopping they stay with us, dont allow them to wander off, if the eldest wants to go in game or such for a go on the demo pod, either my wife or me stay right next to him.

i manage a supermarket and the amount of parents that just let there kids wander the store on there own and "hope" they meet them at the tills is amazing and have the gaul to moan at me when they dont and have wandered out the store blaming my staff for not "seeing a toddler walk out"

if you choose to have kids you choose to make the sacrifices, simple as that!!

/rant over

EDDIE M0NS00N
13-05-2007, 10:30 PM
people like this shouldnt have kids, i have a 9 year old and a 6 year old, wife works evenings (3 a week) and i dont like her walking home, even thought its only 10 minute walk, so each night she works i wake the kids up for the 5 minute round trip and put them back to bed, ive never entertained the thought of leaving them in bed alone!!

if we go shopping they stay with us, dont allow them to wander off, if the eldest wants to go in game or such for a go on the demo pod, either my wife or me stay right next to him.

i manage a supermarket and the amount of parents that just let there kids wander the store on there own and "hope" they meet them at the tills is amazing and have the gaul to moan at me when they dont and have wandered out the store blaming my staff for not "seeing a toddler walk out"

if you choose to have kids you choose to make the sacrifices, simple as that!!

/rant over

Amen brother!!

Ouenben
13-05-2007, 11:51 PM
"EVERYONE IS NOT TALKING THROUGH MSN FOR ONE MINUTE TA PAY RESPECT TO MADILINE,I RELLY HOPE YOU CAN DO THE SAME PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE THAT IS ONLINE FOR MADDY PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DO . THANKYOU"

Just got this on msn.
Why exactly do I want to pay respect to the fact a girl got kidnapped =S
It's a nice thought but could of been worded better or something and preferably done in lowercase.

kernow
14-05-2007, 08:53 AM
hah, why would that make a difference.

oh look, MSN is dead due to respect.

Some thoughtful 13yr old thought that one up no doubt.

iloveannie
14-05-2007, 09:31 AM
I think (verging off-topic but hey that's what we do) that there is a huge difference between leaving your children in a safe place, abandoning them in an open place, letting them out to play and losing sight of them just momentarily.

A family with a large home, and a pool perhaps, may well put their children to bed and then sit outside. A large garden may create the same distance. That is the kind of distance and space we are talking about regarding the abduction.

Parents/carers that leave children in a manner that has been discussed in some of the posts is very irresponsible. No getting around that really.

Are we to let our children go out to play like we (I'm 36) used to? I've been scarred for life across my face from playing with fires as a seven year old. But I had a wonderful childhood, outdoors most of the day playing down the stream or over the park playing war. As I grew older I would be out all day on my BMX, or in town with my mates on a Saturday. However I never used to let my daughter play over our local park but at the time it wasn't the nicest place to go. Now she's 16 she's off with her mates most of the time or with her bloke. We always ensure she gets home safe and do the same for her mates. It's the sensible thing to do.

As for losing sight of your kids for just a brief moment? I've yet to meet another parent (although no doubt someone will buck the trend) who hasn't lost their children at some point, no matter how briefly or how short a distance they have gotten. The other side of a clothes rack is enough to instill panic in most mothers!

Yoshimax
14-05-2007, 03:30 PM
I fear the parents will escape any form of prosecution over this due to the sympathy cards - That's wrong - Very wrong.

Bet Portugal are well chuffed with them though - wonder how many people are changing their holiday destination now !!!!

And don't even get me started on the celebs who are using cash donations for free publicity - Nice Catch22 you challenge them they say "Oh but it was all I could do to help - I was in a position to help and felt I should". Yeah right. [/cynic]

MattyD
15-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Just been to the newsagents and couldn't help noticing the brazen headlines about a British man being investigated over this.

I bet the hacks at The Sun et all are beside themselves - they'd never get away with this sort of coverage of a UK-based investigation, but because it's abroad there's no legal issues with contempt of court etc, and provided they stick closely to what the Portugese police tell them, there's no fear of getting sued for libel either. Basically the gloves can come off on this story.

Spagoli
15-05-2007, 02:00 PM
I heard a radio 4 report (get me ehh) where they were hectoring a portugese representative about who was to blame, she said if it turns out that this is a british girl taken from british parents by another british individual then you may find the question of blame a lot harder to answer. I thought this was odd to say when they were saying they had no leads but makes more sense now. Apparently this individual (Who lives with their mum, bet thats in the Sun headline) was acting as an unofficial go between for the family, police and locals, his mother was on an interview saying people could approach them with information if they felt unable to go to the police for whatever reason and they would pass it on, the police were then supposedly tipped off by the press. All sounds very odd

MattyD
15-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Maybe it's Ian Huntley all over again :ph34r:

Yoshimax
15-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I heard a radio 4 report (get me ehh) where they were hectoring a portugese representative about who was to blame, she said if it turns out that this is a british girl taken from british parents by another british individual then you may find the question of blame a lot harder to answer

Don't see why - the parents are to blame - It's that simple.

I wonder if the fact the media circus (that's what it is) this has generated won't prompt whoever did abduct her to off her if not already done - If you had her stashed and you couldn't turn without seeing her face absolutely everywhere in Europe on walls/papers/TV etc what would you do ???

spagmasterswift
15-05-2007, 02:19 PM
What would I do? Turn myself in and cut my own balls off in prison and flush them down the loo.

Yoshimax
15-05-2007, 02:20 PM
What would I do? Turn myself in and cut my own balls off in prison and flush them down the loo.

Yes but one would hope you're not the type of sick DonaldDuck that would do this in the first place. :confused:

Yoshimax
15-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes but one would hope you're not the type of sick DonaldDuck that would do this in the first place. :confused:

My money is on them having a book deal by year out - And I wouldn't be surprised if they've got Max Clifford onboard once back in the UK.

The whole thing disgusts me in case you hadn't noticed :mad:

spagmasterswift
15-05-2007, 02:26 PM
The thing that sickens me about the media circus was Sky News had a downloadable poster (the type that they have been putting up around the area). Why would you want one of those?

Yoshimax
15-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Same as how does putting a yellow bit of string around your wrist help ??

EDDIE M0NS00N
15-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Same as how does putting a yellow bit of string around your wrist help ??

My thoughts on all of this are the same as u mate. The problem is if u speak your mind too much out in public ppl think your being cold.
My & my lady saw all these ppl on TV tying those ribbons to rails & thought exactly the same thing - what is this gonna do to help anyone?
The Parents know that everyone wants the girl to be found safe & well, although that doesnt mean they are off the hook when it comes to the responsibility.

I'm a cynic when it comes to these matters too. Isnt it strange how the person that alerted the police to this guy from the UK happens to be a journalist for The Mirror? :dry: Great story & a scoop for u guys! Well done for dragging his name thru the mud w/out any evidence! :dry: I heard that he's not been charged & allowed to go free & is staying elsewhere now.

As u said though, the celebs are only doing this to get their faces (not the childs) out there so they can sell more of their products/get work.
As u also said there'll be a book deal whether they find the kid or not, or they'll set up some new charity - 'Child Abductee Survivors Helpdesk', or 'C.A.S.H' for short.

Yoshimax
15-05-2007, 04:41 PM
"Maddies Law" (c) NOTW 2007 our lawyers are watching.

What a sad world we live in :(

EDDIE M0NS00N
16-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Quoted from Yahoo news:

"Relatives of Madeleine will launch the Madeleine Fund on Wednesday" (today).

I saw that 1 coming a mile off, unfortunatley.

MattyD
16-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Setting up a fund or calling for a new law is fast becoming the Western equivalent of all the wailing, head-scarved babooshkas you see on the TV news. NOBODY MOURNS HARDER THAN US! etc etc

Yoshimax
20-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Dunno if anybody has seen it but todays NotW just beggars belief - Looks like the parents have taken a real shine to being in the media spotlight ! Full rundown of "a day in the life of the Mccanns as they search for their daughter" - I had to turn the page made me feel sick just looking at the two of them with their smug grins.

They're SO going to escape any form of prosecution for this.

EDDIE M0NS00N
20-05-2007, 07:00 PM
What is the fund going to do with the money exactly?

I hope that when the Police get a result regarding this situation (hopefully a positive 1) that any money collected by this fund is given to the Police for wasting their time & their resources.

Oh_Mutants
20-05-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm tired of hearing about this now. 'Captured the British public's hearts'? More like just given the newspapers a nice little campaign which they enjoy so much, and the sad people of the country something to chat about, other than the weather :dry:
Let's face it, we all know what the outcome is going to be i'm afraid.
As for the parents, i couldn't care less. If they hadn't been grossly negligent this wouldn't have happened.

mt50
20-05-2007, 07:15 PM
What is the fund going to do with the money exactly?

I hope that when the Police get a result regarding this situation (hopefully a positive 1) that any money collected by this fund is given to the Police for wasting their time & their resources.

should go towards looking after the kids while the parents are in prison imo.
hope they find her alive but you cant really feel sorry for the parents when it was what they did that caused this in the first place

Dogg Thang
20-05-2007, 07:39 PM
In fairness, they didn't cause someone to take their kids. Yeah, they were negligent. But that's not a green light for some sicko to nab one. Be clear on who the real villain is here.

mt50
20-05-2007, 07:50 PM
In fairness, they didn't cause someone to take their kids. Yeah, they were negligent. But that's not a green light for some sicko to nab one. Be clear on who the real villain is here.

oh yeah i agree with you 100% i did word that bad :(
but with the amount of things like this going on all the time then you would have to be daft/stupid to leave your kids alone while you go out to enjoy yourself. i know i would never leave them alone like that.

VR46
20-05-2007, 09:26 PM

Still, it wouldn't have happened if the parents hadn't been out enjoying themselves - alone.

Dogg Thang
20-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Oh right. Well that's okay, isn't it? I mean, it would have been rude not to steal one of their children.

Oh_Mutants
20-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Oh right. Well that's okay, isn't it? I mean, it would have been rude not to steal one of their children.
No, but going on your reasoning if the villa burnt down with the kids alone inside it wouldn't have been the parents' fault cos they didn't start the fire .

The parents were responsible for the safety of their children - bottom line. They neglected that responsibility, and that is the reason the child is missing, no doubt dead.

Dogg Thang
20-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Really? Do tell - what's my reasoning?

Oh_Mutants
20-05-2007, 09:41 PM
In fairness, they didn't cause someone to take their kids.
It's right there, 4 posts above.

Dogg Thang
20-05-2007, 09:45 PM
That's not reasoning. It's a statement of fact.

Edit: Actually, that's not true. It's a statement of the facts as we know them at the moment. If, in fact, one of the parents sold their child, set up a kidnapping or murder or something similar, then they would indeed have caused it. Nobody yet seems to be suggesting that however.

Jebus
20-05-2007, 09:52 PM

Of course it's not okay, but for goodness sake, the plain and simple truth is that if they hadn't left their THREE children ALONE, then this would never have happened. No, it's not a green light to allow one of them to be kidnapped but had they just used common sense as a parent it would never have happened.

Seriously, who leaves their children alone for a night out? Let alone all three. I'm not condemning them, I pray the little girl is okay but to be honest, the guilt they will (and to be honest, should) be feeling right now (and if she's not safely returned, for the rest of their lives) will be punishment enough for me.

I can't even begin to imagine the guilt they must be feeling right now, god if anything ever happened to one of my two boys due to my negligence I'd never forgive myself and would be tortured for the rest of my life...but then the difference is, my children ALWAYS come first, always take precedence over my fun and enjoyment.

Oh_Mutants
20-05-2007, 09:55 PM
If, in fact, one of the parents sold their child, set up a kidnapping or murder or something similar, then they would indeed have caused it. Nobody yet seems to be suggesting that however.

Now you're talking. This calls for...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c144/pacey78/dowling6.jpg

Dogg Thang
20-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Jebus, I'm not disputing that. I did say they were negligent, did I not?

But what seems to be getting a little lost in this is that some bastard nabbed a child.

As for who does this, you should check my post on the first page. I certainly wouldn't do it but people are doing it. Yeah, it's not a good idea. But when all the talk is on 'how could parents leave their child alone?' and not 'how could some sicko steal a kid?', it would seem to me that something is a little skewed. Like it's accepted that the latter behaviour is normal, so the former must be demonised.

Edit: Good call on the Father Dowling! Richie's Dad will get to the bottom of this in no time.

Jebus
20-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Unfortunately though, nobody has caught the sick bastard that has done this. Of COURSE they should be punished (for me the punishment should be : the criminal + the parents + locked door, no windows) but that also doesn't excuse the fact the parents have been negligent and put their three children at risk for absolutely no damn reason other than they wanted a night out.

Oh_Mutants
20-05-2007, 10:03 PM
But i think everyone knows there are a certain number of sick bastards in the world, who nab children... we've seen/heard about it in the media so many times before. The big difference here is that this occured, essentially as a result of, blatant negligence on behalf of the parents. Therefore that is seen as the real story here, it is something people can relate to/talk about .. 'would you leave your three year old alone?'' etc
It hasn't helped the parents' case either the way that they have conducted themselves in the media spotlight.

Dogg Thang
20-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Leaving your kids alone is a seriously dumb move. It's serious negligence, no doubt. It was a bad mistake and one these parents have had to pay far too high a price for. If you have never made a bad choice in your life, well done to you.

There is a world of difference between a bad mistake and the active criminal intent that it takes to steal a child. Just as there is a world of difference between being dumb enough to leave your car unlocked and the criminal intent to steal it.

You're absolutely right, Mutants, on the talk and the story thing. Totally. I think part of that is trying to convince ourselves that we'd never do something like that. Few of us have the urge to steal a child so it's not really a situation we'd get into and, so, not something we relate to. You're right about that I think. As for how they've conducted themselves, you could also be right about that - to be honest I haven't actually read anything they've said. I've just read the main reports on the BBC site.

'Press Start'
20-05-2007, 10:53 PM
For this to grab so much media spotlight, so much public attention, so much coverage......something else is going on whilst our eyes are fixed on a missing girl.

Maybe soon it will be suggested we microchip our young for safety? Maybe Gordon Brown is passing laws whilst we are not looking? I may seem cynical but I can't think of any other reason for so much coverage. It seems like we are being force feed this, most people seem to be along the lines of 'I feel for them but why so much coverage for these people? what makes them special?'

One of my mates said he was interested because she looks like such a sweet kid. I tore him apart of course by saying if she was an ugly child would she not be a news worthy? there in lies the real question.....if she were another race/class of child we would this be news? If her parents were from another background would the media cover it so much?

Oh_Mutants
20-05-2007, 11:04 PM
You have a point, i think probably not. Also, if it had been a working class family who'd gone for a piss up (or god forbid, a non-Brit) down the pub, and not a 'nice middle class couple' i'm sure the media would've taken a much harsher stance with the family.
I agree that we seem to be being force fed this too, are the media simply so wrong in their judgement of the level of public interest, or do they have another agenda?

Yoshimax
21-05-2007, 09:32 AM
As for how they've conducted themselves, you could also be right about that - to be honest I haven't actually read anything they've said. I've just read the main reports on the BBC site.

I'd suggest you go and pick up a copy of yesterdays NotW and see exactly how the parents are conducting themselves - publishing diaries of "a day in the life" - As terrible as it will sound I actually wonder about the true motives of the parents.

Todays Sky News headline "Mccanns will stay in Portugal until Maddie is found"

Who's paying for that ? I'll tell you - Us via this sickening "fund" the newspapers have accrued - either that or the NotW/Sun will be footing the bill.

It sums up just about all that's wrong with societies "me first" mentality these days.

MartyG
21-05-2007, 10:17 AM
I see there are calls to have a one minute silence - truly mind boggling - there are so many of these now that it's lost any true significant meaning anymore.

VR46
21-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Said on the radio this morning that the Madeliene's Dad is back in the UK today.

Don't forget they have two other kids, I guessed they were trying to keep life as normal as possible for them (I've not read the NOTW article)

eastyy
21-05-2007, 11:24 AM
well think obviously its very sad

of course its whoever took her that deserves to be punished

the parents though they made a really dumb mistake and i reckon there really regretting it now and they will learn from there mistakes.....thing is it is a pretty major mistake.......the only plus is hopefully it will cause other parents to become more vigilante

the police though struck me as being incompetent

Dogg Thang
21-05-2007, 12:00 PM
the only plus is hopefully it will cause other parents to become more vigilante

Yes, that's likely to end up being the only positive here. It's sad to think that we have to live in fear of our kids being taken but, regardless of psychos, you can't just go leaving kids on their own and, hopefully, this one incident will prevent others.

But then I think - is it like burglars and houses? I mean, you can fit an alarm and lock all your doors and windows and that makes it less likely that it's your house that gets burgled. But it's not actually going to stop a burglar robbing a house. He's just going to choose the easiest target relevant to the other targets. Somewhere, a house will be burgled. If a guy is going to steal a kid, is he going to do it one way or another?

Yoshimax
21-05-2007, 01:16 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6674623.stm

The father of missing Madeleine McCann has flown back to the UK from Portugal to meet organisers of the campaign to find his daughter.

Why ? What's the point ?

it is thought his visit will also help arrange for the family to stay in Portugal for the foreseeable future.

Ah - I see - He wants to pocket some of the "funds" they've accrued to extend the stay in Portugal in the media spotlight. I wonder, once the news move onto the next thing, how long they'll stay there - They've now been quoted as saying they'll stay "Until She Is Found" - going on other instances where this has happened (Sunday newspapers had a few - children never found mothers still holding out hope after 15 years that they're alive & well) that could be years or never. If the investigation moves to another country will they go & setup there ? Is it in the twins interest to remain in this foreign country indefinately ?

On Saturday, the McCanns, from Rothley in Leicestershire, let cameras capture them laughing with two-year-old twins Sean and Amelie, as they continue to battle to stay strong for their other children.

?????????????????????????? Purpose ?????????????????????????

I honestly think this is fast becoming THE sickest piece of media-centric **** I've ever seen - Pretty soon people are going to forget all about the girl as they turn it more & more into the Mum&Dad show.

EDDIE M0NS00N
21-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Edit: Actually, that's not true. It's a statement of the facts as we know them at the moment. If, in fact, one of the parents sold their child, set up a kidnapping or murder or something similar, then they would indeed have caused it. Nobody yet seems to be suggesting that however.

Actually my Dad suggested that last week. He wondered why the Mum & Dad werent as upset as you would think they would be having had their child taken. Was it a stiff upper lip thing or were one of the parents involved.

This got me thinking too. The parents said they were taking it in turns to go back & check on the kids, so who was the last parent to see her?

I'm not accusing here okay ppl. Just opening up some more possibilities as it does happen sometimes.

If the parents want to do something constructive with the money then they should give it to the Police or a higher organisation to help find the girl.

I think its unfair to blame the Police as they have a different method of working to what we do in the UK & they didnt want to give the kidnapper too many details if he/she was watching the media.

Swallow
21-05-2007, 03:33 PM
It may happen, but is hardly worth reading or thinking about, tbph.

Oh_Mutants
21-05-2007, 04:23 PM
..the only plus is hopefully it will cause other parents to become more vigilante.

Post of the week :thumb:

Jebus
21-05-2007, 04:25 PM
I think its unfair to blame the Police as they have a different method of working to what we do in the UK & they didnt want to give the kidnapper too many details if he/she was watching the media.

Off-topic:

Foreign police generally treat the English like **** because we do the same to them. We were in Spain on hols a few years back and our villa was burgled of everything of value, the next day we went to the station and whilst interviewing me (I was the nominated one) they were actually making jokes in Spanish between questions (the officer and translator).

I don't know if its a generic thing but to be honest I wouldn't blame them, think about how English people treat foreigners over here on the whole.

HaHaUK
21-05-2007, 04:47 PM
This one minute silence thing I heard about this morning. :wtf: What good is it going to do?

dataDave
21-05-2007, 04:47 PM
I don't know if its a generic thing but to be honest I wouldn't blame them, think about how English people treat foreigners over here on the whole.

I was surprised at the leniancy (sp?) of the Dutch police around Amsterdam, my mate was absolutely billy-boyo'd one night (after I had to go back out and find the pisshouse as he rang me up complaining he was lost) and was giving them **** (probably thinking he was back home), they did nothing but take the piss back and jokingly threaten to throw him in the canal.

Revolution6000
21-05-2007, 04:49 PM
For some reason all of the shops where I work (Braehead) have some pointless posters up, saying if anyone has any info to fun some number, because yea I'm sure she has been walking around Glasgow the last few weeks.

bangaio
21-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Girl missing - sad. Parents ****ed up - yes and desperate to get their plight into the public eye.

Media see nice blonde girl - potentially could go any way - brilliant. These stories come and go but they way they are keeping this going is amazing and it is completely false.

Footballers wearing t shirts with her face one it, yellow ribbons, silence, public media pleas, blow by blow accounts of the parent's day, politicians meeting the aunt who was "lobbying" - I mean for ****s sake it sickens me how people jump on this. No one is prepared to stand up publicly and say this is pathetic. This kind of thing happens all the time - no media coverage and when the future prime minister thinks it is acceptable as a soon to be head of state to spend time talking to the aunt of a girl who is missing. Just say no!

peeveen
21-05-2007, 05:17 PM
For some reason all of the shops where I work (Braehead)
OT: Hey, I pass through Braehead most days!

This one minute silence thing I heard about this morning. What good is it going to do?
It's the "culture of caring" that we're in these days, or rather, the "culture of being-seen-to-care". Public displays of grief/concern are the new rock'n'roll, it seems. You only have to look back at the whole Diana thing: some people were on the telly in sobbing hysterics, and I bet most of them feel like right idiots now. I was doing a disco at a 50th birthday party the other week, and the birthday guy got up and gave a thankyou speech then veered off into a bit of heartstring-tugging rhetoric about this missing wee lass, really putting a bit of a dampener on things ... it's not as if anyone was gonna find her under their pint glass, or anything.

I've every sympathy with the situation, but the media really do push it too hard sometimes, and a lot of people (probably with nowt better to do) seem to enjoy playing along accordingly.

Jebus
21-05-2007, 05:24 PM
I was surprised at the leniancy (sp?) of the Dutch police around Amsterdam, my mate was absolutely billy-boyo'd one night (after I had to go back out and find the pisshouse as he rang me up complaining he was lost) and was giving them **** (probably thinking he was back home), they did nothing but take the piss back and jokingly threaten to throw him in the canal.

To be fair, you yourself stated it was in Amsterdam...

Yoshimax
21-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Girl missing - sad. Parents ****ed up - yes and desperate to get their plight into the public eye.

Media see nice blonde girl - potentially could go any way - brilliant. These stories come and go but they way they are keeping this going is amazing and it is completely false.

Footballers wearing t shirts with her face one it, yellow ribbons, silence, public media pleas, blow by blow accounts of the parent's day, politicians meeting the aunt who was "lobbying" - I mean for ****s sake it sickens me how people jump on this. No one is prepared to stand up publicly and say this is pathetic. This kind of thing happens all the time - no media coverage and when the future prime minister thinks it is acceptable as a soon to be head of state to spend time talking to the aunt of a girl who is missing. Just say no!

Amen bruv - though I struggle to add a smilie to the end.....

EDDIE M0NS00N
21-05-2007, 08:51 PM

Yeah but just try saying No! in public & you'll get slated. Most people are just robots who follow the herd whatever the situation.
I'm really waiting for someone in work to bring this story up again just so I can add my 2 cents worth i.e. most of what we are mentioning on here.

bangaio
21-05-2007, 09:16 PM
for your interest on pm - radio 4 on friday they revisited a piece by a times sketch writer who said the MPs and their ribbon wearing escapades and said it was fake. Every listener said well done to him for saying this. The public do not seem to like it - at least the educated public.

J0e Musashi
21-05-2007, 11:10 PM
I fear this young child will not be found alive. I fear it hugely. Forbid the man who takes it upon himself to take a child from our world. I am considered a black-hearted man, but as a father this riles me...
:ph34r:

Yoshimax
22-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Wow been discussing this with some folk in the office today and I'm starting to get the impression most people are of the same mind as me they just need to be coaxed into saying it (i.e they fear they'll be looked down upon if they voice their opinions).

Several people think it's the parents who are behind it which I was surprised by !!!

Kotatsu Neko
22-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one sick to the back teeth of this story. Other things are happening in the world, far, far more serious things. Ths amount of focus this has been getting is frankly absurd.

This is just the latest bandwagon for 'caring' MPs to get on, and it's cringe worthy.

eastyy
22-05-2007, 12:41 PM
i always thought having so much press might be a negative thing......sure if everyone is aware of what happening then so is the person/people who took the little girl

tips them off

iloveannie
22-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one sick to the back teeth of this story. Other things are happening in the world, far, far more serious things. Ths amount of focus this has been getting is frankly absurd.

This is just the latest bandwagon for 'caring' MPs to get on, and it's cringe worthy.

When I fill out those rare questionaires that ask which papers I buy I can gladly say 'none'. May look at the tits in the Star at work and will read the small ads in the local paper and maybe a few stories but that's it. I get my news mostly from BBC online and will watch the headlines on 5 sometimes.

So I guess what I'm saying is I don't really give a flying **** how much news is spent on any story in the tabloids as I mostly avoid them anyway. And hey, if it wasn't this it'd be Blair or troops in Iraq (tough **** they're soldiers, they could have chosen different work) or Prescott talking like a **** again.

I think the papers have been lost for front page stories since Diana died. Bet they **** themselves that day.

Nice to see how the thread has changed and the family are getting the blame for the media's reporting of the situation. For a minute I thought they were just going to be hanged for giving their daughter to the abducter. Phew!

MartyG
22-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Wow been discussing this with some folk in the office today and I'm starting to get the impression most people are of the same mind as me they just need to be coaxed into saying it (i.e they fear they'll be looked down upon if they voice their opinions).

It was rant Tuesday on the local radio station, and I got this rant put across on air

* Press coverage has become sensationalism and ott to sell papers
* The "Appearing To Care" is just more fake national mourning stuff, with politicians, pop-stars, actors being the worst for it
* There are 210,000 missing person reports according to the Home Office each year - where's their press coverage?
* It was the parents irresponsibility that allowed the girl to be taken in the first place

I thought it might have caused a ****-storm, but not a single person rang in to disagree.

Spagoli
22-05-2007, 12:56 PM
......For a minute I thought they were just going to be hanged for giving their daughter to the abducter. Phew!

Giving her to the abductor may be a little exagerated but I dont think its too far fetched to suggest that they didn't do their upmost to keep her safe. Although if you were being cynical you may believe that all this public show by the parents is to ensure they are seen as doing everything they could have. Horses and stable doors spring to mind

Vince
22-05-2007, 12:58 PM
I was watching that show the other night about cooking in warzones and it made me think about how stupid all this is. There were 20 people sharing one bowl of curry in uganda and a woman with 5 or 6 kids in Afganistan who only had a naan style bread to eat and yet we are wasting all this money on one little girl? Its ridiculous.

EDDIE M0NS00N
22-05-2007, 02:16 PM
I was watching that show the other night about cooking in warzones and it made me think about how stupid all this is. There were 20 people sharing one bowl of curry in uganda and a woman with 5 or 6 kids in Afganistan who only had a naan style bread to eat and yet we are wasting all this money on one little girl? Its ridiculous.

I agree. Thats why I think any money made from the Madeline fund should be given to the authorities to help them with their investigation in some way & any left over should go to fitting the bill that the police have already racked up while they wasted their time & resources all because of something which could have been avoided in the 1st place.
I cant think of any other valid use for so much money.

Dogg Thang
22-05-2007, 02:24 PM
You can always compare and find worse. And you're not wrong. You'll find far worse than that case in Afghanistan too. That doesn't make it any less of a tragedy.

It's only natural that things close to home has more of an impact.

Ridiculous sensationalism, however, is a different story and frequently goes too far.

Spagoli
22-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Ive just finished a book about the history of the middle east by Robert Fisk. It is packed full of pages of the most horrifc persecution and killing not of one or two or a hundred peeople but hundreds or thousands and even millions. Including genocide, campaigns of torture, ethic cleansing and general horrific brutallity of all of which made me feel shocked and terribly ignorant.

Interestingly there was an article on Radio 4 that was talking about how poeple cannot process concepts of pity on more than one person. This is why charities now use the face/name of one person. They dont say in this country 300,000 people dont have enough to eat, becasue our brains cant process empathy on that level we deal with it numerically. They say, this is X she doesn't have enough to eat today and you can help her.

I wonder if this is why this issue has got so much public sympathy, its one person who you suddenly know all about and cant help but feel horrifed about what has happened to her whether she is from the UK or not. Trying not to be cynical for a minute I'm sure there would (if it was publicised) be huge media interest no matter where this child was from.

Dogg Thang
22-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Unlikely, in my opinion. There are children stolen all over the world. Children killed. All individuals.

The fact that she is from the UK (as with the Huntley thing) makes all the difference.

eastyy
22-05-2007, 03:13 PM
yeh its weird how the news works

i remember that nanny who was convicted in america but she was from the uk the way the news carried on you would swear she was innocent

in the end no family deserves something like this to happen but i know if i was on holiday and with a small child i would not let them out of my sight

EDDIE M0NS00N
22-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Interestingly there was an article on Radio 4 that was talking about how poeple cannot process concepts of pity on more than one person. This is why charities now use the face/name of one person. They dont say in this country 300,000 people dont have enough to eat, becasue our brains cant process empathy on that level we deal with it numerically. They say, this is X she doesn't have enough to eat today and you can help her.

Those adverts dont work on me I can tell u!!
It maybe because I'm just a cold hearted bastard, or possibly that those adverts are shown so many times on C4 that u just get sick of them & dont give a **** anymore.

Perhaps its the same reason why ppls opinions are changing regarding Madelines Parents - too much coverage shoved in your face.

Yoshimax
22-05-2007, 07:32 PM
No the reason I'm sick of the parents is they're blatantly up to something - They have now announced they're embarking on a "Tour Of Europe" (no fng joke) because "She's probably not in Portugal anymore".

This will be using the money accrued in this "fund" - Couple of things :

What about the twins ? Aren't they entitled to return to the UK and get on with their lifes NORMALLY ? (or are they an important part of the Mccann "media image" now) ?

HOW does touring Europe help ? It doesn't/can't - Fact of the matter is that kid is now long gone, any leads will be as cold as they're gonna get after 3 weeks and nobody has a fng clue now.

EDDIE M0NS00N
22-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Yeah I saw that on the News too.
Both parents announcing what was basically a 'McCann familys search thru Europe' tour. And neither of the Parents looked sad or even unhappy when they announced it.

Yoshimax has hit the nail on the head when he mentioned that the McCanns would end up writing a book about their ordeal. Its definatley gonna happen now Yoshi! Just at the right time too, as the now popular & new 'Tragic Fiction' section in our bookshops is booming, unfortunatley. They'll make a killing, so to speak.

thefantasticmrh
22-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Unlikely, in my opinion. There are children stolen all over the world. Children killed. All individuals.

The fact that she is from the UK (as with the Huntley thing) makes all the difference.

Yeah, it's all about McLurg's Law

"McLurg's Law, named after a legendary British news editor, is a rule of journalism by which events diminish in importance in proportion to their distance from London."

And in a more base way " 1 dead Briton is worth 5 dead Frenchmen, 20 dead Egyptians, 500 dead Indians and 1000 dead Chinese."

Supposedly a rule of thumb used by news editors in the last century which still pervades today.

Yoshimax
22-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Is there a market here for some kind of "anti newspaper newspaper" ? One that isn't afraid to stand up and speak the true voice of the nation ?

Is it the same thing ? Nobody would want to be seen buying/reading it for fear of persecution at the hands of their peers ?

Dogg Thang
22-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Is there a market here for some kind of "anti newspaper newspaper" ? One that isn't afraid to stand up and speak the true voice of the nation ?

I'd rather a newspaper that just reports the news. I don't need a newspaper speaking for me.

Yoshimax
22-05-2007, 08:08 PM
I'd rather a newspaper that just reports the news. I don't need a newspaper speaking for me.

You're not going to get that I'm afraid.

MartyG
22-05-2007, 08:08 PM
One that isn't afraid to stand up and speak the true voice of the nation ?

Unfortunately they already believe that they do.

Dogg Thang
22-05-2007, 08:09 PM
You're not going to get that I'm afraid.

I'd say you're probably right. As is Marty.

Kotatsu Neko
22-05-2007, 08:27 PM
The BBC's TV coverage is truly sickening now. Latest news, the parents have travelled 5 miles to pray for the girl. Well, that'll do it, well done there, smart thinking.

I'll be avoiding BBC news until this blows over I think.

EDDIE M0NS00N
22-05-2007, 08:55 PM
I never thought I'd see the day the BBC News turned into the ITN News, which is basically The Sun/Mirror news but on TV.

Kieran76
22-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Well said about ITV, truly absymal news coverage. It is so like The Day Today now with "We will tell you what to think!"

Kotatsu Neko
22-05-2007, 10:11 PM
I never thought I'd see the day the BBC News turned into the ITN News, which is basically The Sun/Mirror news but on TV.

That happened after the Hutton report removed all of their teeth. Now they just chase the same kind of stuff the tabloids do.

Still it could be worse, they could be a neo con mouth piece like Fox or Sky News.

Dirty Sanchez
23-05-2007, 12:34 PM
That happened after the Hutton report removed all of their teeth. Now they just chase the same kind of stuff the tabloids do.

Still it could be worse, they could be a neo con mouth piece like Fox or Sky News.
After showing how little you knew about Sky/Virgin I'm not surprised to see you showing a similar level of ignorance on this subject too.

Kotatsu Neko
23-05-2007, 12:43 PM
After showing how little you knew about Sky/Virgin I'm not surprised to see you showing a similar level of ignorance on this subject too.

You jest. Are you suggesting Fox is not a neo con mouth piece? Ever watched 'OutFoxxed'? You really, really should.

As for Sky News, it's not as blatantly Murdoch/NeoCon as Fox News is, but the subtext is always there, and the style is pure tabloid.

And I'm not going into the Virgin/Sky thing again. I think we all know your biased stance on that.

Dirty Sanchez
23-05-2007, 02:05 PM
No, I am suggesting your depth of knowledge on the subject extends to little more than reading an article or two that fit your point of view.

'Press Start'
28-05-2007, 08:43 PM
What a joke!! (http://What%20a%20joke)

They are visiting a place which children are well known to go missing, for very dark reasons.

Maybe the Pope should concern himself with allowing practicing catholics to wear comdoms and help prevent the spread to aids to millions of children, rather then getting a few extra ratings for this one child.

A Twisted world in which we live, serves the interests of a few whilst offering a cold shoulder to the many.

Yoshimax
28-05-2007, 09:14 PM
What help is the pope going to offer exactly ? Does he have a child-snatcher radar ?

Where are the other two kids throughout all this ? Don't they deserve to get back to normality? (which is what the parents claim to be trying to give them).

Lyris
28-05-2007, 09:30 PM
The amount of parasites you see on the news, with their "I CARE!" act clinging onto this story, is sickening. It goes without saying that the child going missing is regrettable to say the least, but what about the parents of all the other kids that'll have gone missing over the last few weeks? Why is this one so important?

kernow
28-05-2007, 09:33 PM
yeah, I'm seeing missing posters over here now, where I work, and in the town

have you seen this girl? .. like she might be in the UK.. god its getting silly

I predict a book of their torment, they'll be millionaires within a year.

Yoshimax
28-05-2007, 09:37 PM
My money is on them having a book deal by year out - And I wouldn't be surprised if they've got Max Clifford onboard once back in the UK.

The whole thing disgusts me in case you hadn't noticed :mad:

I posted this a few weeks back and rather eerily I believe Clifford is now involved though it's with the guy who they accused.

Kotatsu Neko
28-05-2007, 09:57 PM
What help is the pope going to offer exactly ? Does he have a child-snatcher radar ?

Where are the other two kids throughout all this ? Don't they deserve to get back to normality? (which is what the parents claim to be trying to give them).

The parents are not only totally negligent, but also complete religious nut jobs. Funny thing is if the police manage to find the girl you can bet they will thank 'god' for it, but if the girl isn't found they will just keep on listening to the voices in their heads and say it has strengthened their 'faith' or some such.

Idiots. It's sad for the little girl but the parents are frankly a disgrace and the media should stop giving them any more air time. Aside from the fact it will achieve nothing it's also absolutely sickening that it gets precedence over the vastly more important real news that is still taking place all over the world.

Jebus
28-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Reading that article...all I could think was...

WHY??

Lyris
28-05-2007, 10:14 PM
The parents are not only totally negligent, but also complete religious nut jobs. Funny thing is if the police manage to find the girl you can bet they will thank 'god' for it, but if the girl isn't found they will just keep on listening to the voices in their heads and say it has strengthened their 'faith' or some such.

Idiots. It's sad for the little girl but the parents are frankly a disgrace and the media should stop giving them any more air time. Aside from the fact it will achieve nothing it's also absolutely sickening that it gets precedence over the vastly more important real news that is still taking place all over the world.

Well said!

EDDIE M0NS00N
28-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Yoshi predicted 'the book' a few pages back. It's looking like it will definatley happen in the near future.

I'd really gotten to the point where I thought it wasnt even worth me wasting my time voicing anything regarding this story anymore as its just gonna get worse & worse, but I'm here again!. And by that I mean that the parents' actions will get worse & worse.
Typical of the parents though isnt it. The Father has suddenly re-found his Catholic faith since his daughter has been missing, & they get an audience with the Pope!! I hope he's as outspoken as he normally is & then maybe the Parents will have to look at themselves in a different way.

I had a thought the other day. These posters being plastered everywhere could also jepordise any chances of finding the girl alive. What I mean is that everyone in the World knows what Madeline looks like anyway, & if the abducter walks into an area with the posters up he's gonna get scared & leg it somewhere else or end up killing the girl. Whereas if the posters were less visible the abducter might think he could blend in not really thinking that everyone was on the lookout, which of course they would be because of the non stop media coverage.

Eps
30-05-2007, 04:56 AM
They get an audience with the Pope in a private jet, let's not forget. And then they're off to Holland, Germany, Spain, Morocco...

Watch this space: the Search for Madeleine (tm) can only be truly complete when they've 'raised awareness' in the Bahamas, Aruba, Mauritius and Monaco as well :rolleyes:

Spagoli
30-05-2007, 10:14 AM
If I see those parents one more time on the TV on the train on the way in I'm gonna flip. FFS we know shes missing they should be bloody ashamed they were responsible for looking after her yet they are jetting round the world, kissing pilgrims and visiting the pope. whats he gonna say, I'm sorry for your loss, I share your pain but be bloody careful with the other two for goodness sake. This is doing nothing for getting this poor little girl back but is IMHO some sick attempt to make them public martyrs beyond reproach or an attempt by the police to give the parents enough rope to hang themselves.

Widegoat
30-05-2007, 10:27 AM
or an attempt by the police to give the parents enough rope to hang themselves.

This is something I've been beginning to wander. It sort of makes sense, doesn't it? We on this forum all seem pretty united (somewhat unusually for NTSC ;) ) on the issue of their apparent poor parenting ? I wander what the public at large think about their behaviour at this time.

Yoshimax
30-05-2007, 10:42 AM
It's EXACTLY what the public at large think - I'd urge everybody to poll their office or place of work and gauge opinion - I think everybody is turning on them it's just the media are able to paint the opposite picture to keep selling their papers.

Somebody should arrange a SUN boycott - that'd learn them !

kernow
30-05-2007, 10:50 AM
missing children posters everywhere, in the UK even, why is this girl special compared to the thousands that go missing every week. I am angered the public are treating this one case with preferential treatment. People just go crazy sometimes, where I work there are hundreds of these madeleine posters around.

I'd like to ask where the posters are for all the other people too, who'se parents didn't leave them alone by themselves.

Big Seany
30-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I see they are leaving their non-abducted kids in the Algarve whilst they go to see the Pope. Will they never learn?

AllYourBase
30-05-2007, 10:59 AM
I see they are leaving their non-abducted kids in the Algarve whilst they go to see the Pope. Will they never learn?

It's alright, they're flying back to check on them every 30 mins honest! They'll be ok

eastyy
30-05-2007, 11:06 AM
blimey reminds me so much of the south park film

where the adults are saying we must listen to the children and stuff......and there ignoring them as the kids try and talk to them

Big Seany
30-05-2007, 11:07 AM
It's alright, they're flying back to check on them every 30 mins honest! They'll be ok

Sorry, yes - I mean, they are only 500+ miles away having a meal with the living embodiment of the Catholic faith.

BeyondJumpFish
30-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Does the vatigan have an unwritten law against children? Why didn't they take they're kids with them?

Spagoli
30-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Does the vatigan have an unwritten law against children? Why didn't they take they're kids with them?

their ?320k fund isn't going to last them long if they fritter the money away on flights for the kids......

to be honest given the catholic church's record of protecting childrens safety and these parents record I'm not sure they should be allowed to take them anywhere near the place.. you'd like to think they couldn't lose another one but nothing would surprise me.

I'm waiting for the dirt to start coming out on these two, once the public start to lose interest I reckon there will be some right muck being spread about them going on and the two of them will get buried.

Fibber
30-05-2007, 11:43 AM
What the **** would YOU do if your child went missing? Sit on your lazy fat arse and do nothing? Just go, "Ah, ****it! She's prolly dead now!" and give up? If you get information from the police that she's out of the country, that there's a chance she's alive, what would you do?

All yous are acting so high and mighty it pisses me off. They are not, I repeat, NOT, the first parents to leave their children in the hotel room to go to the hotel restaurant. They were extremely unfortunate that some bastard decided to abduct their child.

You lot are making such idiotic comments, makes me wonder how many of you actually know what it's like to have a child to look after. Never mind a toddler and twins!

Swallow
30-05-2007, 11:49 AM
^ was just about to post similar, Fibber. I don't know how some of you guys can be happy taking the position that you can say what you like about the parents actions.

As for questioning their motives, and their use of the funds donated, that just sickens me, tbpfh.

kernow
30-05-2007, 11:51 AM
and posting wanted signs all over the world is going to help.. right

Swallow
30-05-2007, 11:52 AM
That's not the point, though, is it?

Spagoli
30-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I don't know how some of you guys can be happy taking the position that you can say what you like about the parents actions.

because I've never been negligent enough to lose my child thats why.

Swallow
30-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Congratulations on not being able to feel compassion, just because you've not experienced a particular situation, then.

buster_broon
30-05-2007, 11:58 AM
please dont take this as me being morbid

but what happens if the parents themselves have accidently hurt her and trying to cover it up with all this 'pish' around the world

i just hope every child that goes missing gets the same offers of help from everybody

Swallow
30-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Maybe people do want to help, and feel that this is their opportunity to make a difference, maybe not in this particular case, but in raising the profile of the issue of abducted children, it may help others in the future.

AllYourBase
30-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Anyone with any humanity can surely feel compassion for a missing child even if the parents messed up or not. What parent can say they haven't messed up at times? They certainly didn't deserve this.

Perhaps a little more time reflecting to the media that they are sorry they messed up might help though? They are certainly not saints are they? The public are quickly going to get sick of this story being thrown up every time a celeb, policitian or now the pope wants their next 15 mins of fame.

What next? Bono and Geldof to do Maddie-Aid? I have all the sympathy in the world for the McCann family but they would be naive to not realise the media is using them for their own ends. I suppose they just think it is worth it if the extra publicity helps, to me it seems like it is clutching at straws but then who can blame them? If I was in their shoes I would be desperate.

Spagoli
30-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Congratulations on not being able to feel compassion, just because you've not experienced a particular situation, then.

Thanks, and thanks for feeling able to judge me but not them. Sorry to burst your bubble here but having an opinion doesn't make you a bad person.

Who are you saying I dont feel compassion for, the poor poor little girl, well wrong I do, the other children, well wrong again, I do, they will have to grow up having lost a sister, so yes I feel compassionate for them. the family yes, the even parents yes. I dont feel compassionate though for a media image of a couple who are parading themselves around on my TV like the latest Posh and Becks.

I feel compassion on a human level for a bum sleeping rough and hope they survive but I also think they may need either help or a kick up the backside to sort themselves out and I wouldnt be afraid to give you my opinion either way.

Big Seany
30-05-2007, 12:09 PM
You lot are making such idiotic comments, makes me wonder how many of you actually know what it's like to have a child to look after. Never mind a toddler and twins!

The thing is though mate, most of us do have little 'uns! Me, Yoshi, Jebus for starters, I think AYB has one on the way, so we aren't just hairy palmed gf-less geeks - we are dads - and good ones at that. Well, pretty good ones.

Swallow
30-05-2007, 12:09 PM
You said, in response to a question of being happy to hold judgmental opinions of the parents, that you justified your position because you had never lost your children. That hardly resonates compassion to me.

They're hardly parading themselves on tv though, they're desperately trying to do something, anything to find their child.

Sometimes you can find a needle in a haystack, if enough people are helping.

Widegoat
30-05-2007, 12:12 PM
All yous are acting so high and mighty it pisses me off. They are not, I repeat, NOT, the first parents to leave their children in the hotel room to go to the hotel restaurant. They were extremely unfortunate that some bastard decided to abduct their child.

Don't think that the human tragedy is lost on "us" somehow. It's not the first case of it's type, nor sadly will it be the last - it is the disproportionate media representation that this case has that irks, coupled with the fact that the difficult questions surrounding the parents behaviour haven't been asked or answered.

This is largely because people care only about the story of a girl that's gone missing, not the humanity. I genuinely wonder about the intellectual fortitude of the types of people that have Madeleine’s face plastered on their car windows and places of work. It’s like they want to be part of some massive gossip club.

To answer your question directly I have no idea what I would do if my child went missing. I do know what I wouldn’t do though. I wouldn’t assume that the best person to represent me to the media is me.

Swallow
30-05-2007, 12:15 PM
They should call Max Clifford!?

Agree with you, Widegoat. It seems the criticism of the media circus has in fact spilled over into unwarranted besmirching of the motives of the parents, though, at times.

Kotatsu Neko
30-05-2007, 12:23 PM
I think what people are sick of now is the way this story has been shoved down all of our throats for weeks now. If anyone knew anything that would help the police, they would have said so by now. It's too late, that early window of oportunity is long, long gone. Nothing more can be achieved.

It's time for the media circus to move onto their next tabloid selling story while they ignore the real news taking place elsewhere in the world.

Spagoli
30-05-2007, 12:26 PM
You said, in response to a question of being happy to hold judgmental opinions of the parents, that you justified your position because you had never lost your children. That hardly resonates compassion to me....

Its true though. I havent lost my child, when I go out shes by my side, in a buggy or on reins. When shes asleep I or the missus are in the house, don't get me wrong theres plenty of times it would have been more conveinient but if you have kids you have responsibilities end of story. On the human side no matter how good that meal was I dont think they now think it was worth it. This will probably detsroy their lives, its certainly changed it beyond recognition.

Kotatsu Neko
30-05-2007, 12:28 PM
They're hardly parading themselves on tv though, they're desperately trying to do something, anything to find their child.

Are you kidding?! They're all over the TV, be it unveiling the latest mega poster, the latest fund raiser, or going to visit the head of a nut case institution in Italy with a long, long, long history of hiding child abusers and causing misery to children all over the developing world.

kernow
30-05-2007, 12:40 PM
... Lets not bring our views on religion into this.

Fibber
30-05-2007, 12:53 PM
I think people are missing the whole point of why they are constantly on television. Of course we know all about it in the UK. Of course it's all over the frigging News and papers 'til we're sick of them. But that's not the point is it?

They obviously believe that their kid is alive somewhere in Spain, Italy or somewhere like that. So they have to get the facts through to their TV in the hope that someone will see their kid, or put enough pressure on the abductors for them to release her. Of course, you could put too much pressure on the abductors to have adverse effects.

Big Seany, I know that some of you are parents. I'm one myself. And we all know that we're never perfect parents right? Sometimes, we don't know right from wrong and sometimes we make mistakes because it is NEVER easy. Some people want to appear as if they are perfect parents but under the surface, everyone is just as pressured, just as stressed and just as lost. It's all very easy to criticise other parents and say you would never do the same but in reality, you don't know that. A kid drowned in the bath the other day because his mum went to get his clothes from his bedroom and left him for a few minutes in the bath tub. She's been doing that everyday for months and nothing had happened. But just this once, this kid slipped and drowned. She's sick with guilt now and I'm sure some will dub her a bad parent. I've left my kid in the bath while I ran to get her clothes but luckily, nothing bad has happened to her. We all do **** like that. Take short cuts or take time out from parenting because it's more stressful than the most stressful job in the world.

Yoshimax
30-05-2007, 12:56 PM

Yes - that's it - it's just pure bad luck.

As Seany already said quite a lot of us do - Where do you get off coming into this thread calling us idiots ?

I sincerely hope they feel the full force of the law. UNDER THE LAW they have duties - They are called PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITIES. Under that law they must provide a SAFE environment for their children - They have failed in their duties.

Knock yourself out : http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/Parental

I don't care if you think they're "unlucky" - They facilitated the opportunity under which the child was snatched.

Meanwhile lots of other kids are going missing all over Europe - T'is truly awful that they are receiving next to no exposure in comparison.

Fibber
30-05-2007, 01:04 PM
As Seany already said quite a lot of us do - Where do you get off coming into this thread calling us idiots ?

I never called any of you idiots. I called some of the comments IDIOTIC. Cleverest people can sometimes make the most idiotic comments.

By the way, that link, that's not the law. That's just guidance.

Big Seany
30-05-2007, 01:19 PM
To be fair I can sort of see what Fibber is getting at - yes, we do take a few shortcuts - sometimes I leave Grace in the car when I pay for petrol (with the doors locked). Sometimes I leave her in the bath for a brief moment whilstI get her clothes or towel. Sometimes I leave her in her high chair eating her grub when I go for a piss. And sometimes she sits in her activity chair thing and watches telly whilst I have a cup of coffee and a ciggie outside in the morning.

We all take little shortcuts!

But the thing is, I wouldn't dream of leaving her alone in the circumstances that Madeleine was left. Think about it, dads. No matter how much you wanted that meal/beer/bit of peace and quiet/shag with the wife - you wouldn't do it. This is why there is an element of disbelief on this thread I guess, and why we are being a little harsh on these parents. I suppose the only thing you have to say is it is too late to judge them now, what is done is done and all that - and I am sure they are eaten up with guilt and "what ifs" and all the things that have probably been covered in this thread.

peeveen
30-05-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't blame the parents for the lengths they are going to, or the things they are doing just to keep it in the news ... I would probably do the same if I thought it had even the tiniest effect on my chances of getting my kid back ... and let's face, it's working for them, cos we're all still talking about it: in a negative light nonetheless, but that's largely irrelevant to them.

If they had just went back home and wept, we'd all have forgotten about it two weeks ago.

dataDave
30-05-2007, 01:43 PM
... Lets not bring our views on religion into this.

This is a whole new thread entirely, and one that deserves to be created.

One big thread where we rip into religeon. Bring it.

---

I mean, c'mon, seriously, does anyone here think the pope actually cares? What good is going to see him going to do?

My family is filled with many religeous nuts spanning several religeons. They will probably leave with some obsurd reasoning as to why 'God' took Maddy away from them.

Hundreds of kiddies die all over the world each day, wether it be from being fed to something, being worked/raped/starved to death or whatever. Just because they pray to God doesn't make their ****e smell any sweeter.

kernow
30-05-2007, 01:46 PM
thats not a discussion is it though, you already said you'd just rip into it.

hell, you'd only bring FFXI into it somewhere anyway

spagmasterswift
30-05-2007, 01:48 PM

hell, you'd only bring FFXI into it somewhere anyway

Fallows own religeon :lol: At least we can rip into that around here ;)

dataDave
30-05-2007, 01:55 PM

That's the point. Discussion over religeon is totally fruitless as has been already proven in 10,000 other threads. We just need one thread where we can vent all the things wrong with religeon without any prats asking for me to be banned or have posts removed.

kernow
30-05-2007, 02:26 PM
is it coincidence neither of you can spell religion?

iloveannie
30-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Hmm, this is getting more heated than the Channel 5 documentary covering the McCanns debate "Which is Better, PS3 or 360?".

Punish the parents though? And what is the judge gonna serve? The abduction of their child? Oh a sentence or a fine? **** me I know which I'd rather have.

Without speaking to either of the parents and having steered away from any interviews they may have given I can only assume that, as desperate parents ('cause you usually are when you think you're three year old is being raped or killed), the McCanns are doing whatever they can to find their child. Perhaps they aren't going about it the best way. If someone here does know their best course of action perhaps they could post it up and we could forward it to them?

As for too much coverage? I haven't seen the news, bar the headlines, in quite a few weeks really. Are they stopping us from hearing of 'real' issues? I don't think we ever get to hear of the 'real' issues very much anyway. I'm cynical like that.

I think we can safely say that the kid ain't turning up anytime soon. If ever really. The parent's will need to come to terms with that at some point of their life. They probably won't. I don't think I would.

As for Maddie? I hope that rather than going through hell as we speak she is actually dead. And if so, whatever your religious or spiritual view, she is at peace.

Big Seany
30-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Terrible world though innit? When stuff like this happens. Makes me upset beyond belief. God knows what I would be like if anything happened to ours. My mate's daughter was raped and murdered, and he has never been the same (understandably). I get upset enough if a baby is ill when I am watching Casualty or if I read about something in the paper, ffs. I can't even bring myself to think of what may happen to some of the abducted kids. So upsetting.

Senna
30-05-2007, 03:57 PM
I am not a parent, but I think I can imagine that the pain of losing your child (especially when you don't know where they are or how they are being treated) is your worst nightmare come true. While it is right that the parents are criticised for leaving their children alone, I do not feel that now is the right time for that. All focus should be on getting Madeleine back to her parents safe and well before the sniping begins.

BUT, and this is a big but, the media are really beginning to irk me with their apparent 'caring' and 'mood of the nation' presentation of the story. They flew over their main news presenters in addition to the correspondents they already had there, when there was no need to. They continue to revel in the 'human emotion' of the story, which quite often culminates in the vexing and exasperating voiceovers to the news clips, such as:

'and so, (long pause), as the McCanns began the slow ascent up to the entrance of the plane, they looked on with a weary heart and shattered bodies, but in the hope that, somewhere out there, their little girl was safe and sound, and that she would be returned to the warm embrace of their bosoms some agonising time soon. And with that, they were gone. Gone on their continuing odyssey of self-discovery, and with a certain visit to their spiritual leader in the eternal city.'

The media also openly discussed the personal details of the first suspect in the case, the man who was questioned by the police for a couple of hours. Despite a lack of evidence, his picture was plastered about everywhere, his life history was there for all to see, and the poor guy was instantly a figure of suspicion to those who should have known better, that someone is innocent until proven guilty.

So my issue is not with the parents, who I have a great deal of sympathy for (and I would be doing exactly what they are doing, using all avenues open to them), despite their huge error of judgement in leaving their children alone. No, my issue is with the media, and their saccharine, schmaltzy, gooey-gooey treatment of this whole affair. They are revelling in it, the ratings they think it provides. If Madeleine was found tomorrow, and I passionately hope she is found safe and healthy, then I get the impression that this would be an anti-climax for the media. Yes there would be the ratings-winner of coverage of the reunion between child and family, but they would then quickly discover that there was no longer any story, and would feel a bit lost.

So much of what the media has done has left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe I am being completely insensitive, and they do really care more about the safety of Madeleine, but this is what I feel.

Prophet Hero
30-05-2007, 04:32 PM
An interesting test for the tabloids is coming up with the advent of the latest Big Brother: what do they devote more column inches to?

If you look at the front pages of today's Sun and Mirror you can see that they're already having trouble (they've both split the page in half). They're now having to spin two non-news (as much as I sympathise with the Maddy situation there has been no progress, which means no news in my view) stories into news.

Because I was on holiday I missed much of the UK's printed news of the situation over the last two weeks, but did keep tabs via BBC World on Japanese hotel TV. It was on all the time but there was absolutely nothing new and it took precedence over everything else. Paper-wise I read the International Herald Tribune and it didn't cover the story at all.

The UK (tabloid) media is taking a very distressing situation and running with it for all its worth.

spagmasterswift
30-05-2007, 05:33 PM
is it coincidence neither of you can spell religion?

Nope, I was spoofing Fallows for the ****.

Carry on Vicar ;)

kernow
30-05-2007, 07:40 PM
ahha nice one, you got spunk kid, I like that ..

spagmasterswift
30-05-2007, 08:09 PM
ahha nice one, you got spunk kid, I like that ..

I fear this is a trap...

Anyways, coming back on topic, I really hope they find out what happened to her otherwise the parents are going to be doing this the rest of their lives. :(

kernow
30-05-2007, 09:02 PM
they'll be loaded

AllYourBase
31-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Anyways, coming back on topic, I really hope they find out what happened to her otherwise the parents are going to be doing this the rest of their lives. :(

Or if the poor girl is found dead they'll be on richard and judy plugging the book and the Madeleine McCann foundation for lost kids.

It'd be hard to imagine either of them going back to their regular jobs after this though, wouldn't you say?

eastyy
31-05-2007, 10:02 AM
i really expect someone to ask them any news on madeleine and they say who ?

Yoshimax
31-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Or if the poor girl is found dead they'll be on richard and judy plugging the book and the Madeleine McCann foundation for lost kids.

It'd be hard to imagine either of them going back to their regular jobs after this though, wouldn't you say?

Would you want the Dad operating on your heart ?

Spagoli
31-05-2007, 10:27 AM
what has just struck me is that all the time these parents are being scrutinised there doesnt seem to have been any question as to what total total sick fcuk could take a child from its parents. how do people who think that this is acceptable go undetected on a daily basis, how can you not tell that they are so totally off beam. Its mind blowing that there is anyone out there that could do this and totally scarry that you cant tell who they are. I have spent so much time thinking the parents were irresponsible or inappropriate that I havent really given much consideration to the full horror that there is someone like this out there

Prophet Hero
31-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I had a glance at today's Sun and apart from the inevitable BB cast line-up, the front page story is how a butterfly landed on Mrs McCann's head during her meeting with the Pope. It's now a symbol of hope.

Instead of writing this garbage the paper should be channeling the resources into private detectives or anything to further the search.

Kotatsu Neko
31-05-2007, 12:11 PM
I had a glance at today's Sun

Things might be different in a newspaper. Try The Independant or The Guardian.

kernow
31-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Theres no such paper called the 'The Independant'

Kotatsu Neko
31-05-2007, 12:31 PM

Yawn. Thanks Mr.Pedant.

Yoshimax
31-05-2007, 12:35 PM

This strikes me as a dangerous game to play - I can be anal about spelling & grammar at the best of times but if I was going to start picking out examples on this forum I'd be busier than the mods.

Spagoli
31-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Yawn. Thanks Mr.Pedant.

shame you didnt put Mr. Pedent :)

Big Seany
31-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Funny about the butterfly thing, because last night a moth landed on my head when I was out the back having a tab. It wasn't so much a symbol of hope though, more a symbol of panic, fear and aggression as I swatted the horrible blighter the **** away from me.

dataDave
31-05-2007, 01:11 PM
I hate moths too.

Yoshimax
31-05-2007, 01:17 PM
I wonder what it would have symbolised if a bird had shat on her head ?

Spagoli
31-05-2007, 01:20 PM
I wonder what it would have symbolised if a bird had shat on her head ?

its supposed to be good luck isn't it. I was once blessed in this way and wasn't happy I can tell you.

eastyy
31-05-2007, 01:44 PM
...just saw it on the news there in madrid....and there going to be touring around europe.......that just strikes me as wrong really wrong

if my child was kidnapped i would not be going to other countrys i would stay in the area where the child was kidnapped and knock on every door within a 5 mile radius

Prophet Hero
31-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Things might be different in a newspaper. Try The Independant or The Guardian.

Oh, I am a Guardian reader but I think it's important to see what the tabloids are up to. If only to see what Britain is or 'supposed' to be thinking about.

I suppose if you can be shat on by a bird whilst meeting the Pope then anything is possible.

BeyondJumpFish
31-05-2007, 02:38 PM
...just saw it on the news there in madrid....and there going to be touring around europe.......that just strikes me as wrong really wrong

if my child was kidnapped i would not be going to other countrys i would stay in the area where the child was kidnapped and knock on every door within a 5 mile radius

If it helps highlight they're story and bring they're daughter back then i'm fine with it.
The only thing that concerns me is, what about all the other families of missing children around europe? Ain't they going to think "Wait a minute, my daughter/Son went missing weeks ago and nobody gave a ****! What makes this english Girl so special?? She's worth ?1.5 mill, but mine is worth **** all!?" I know it'd piss me off.

kernow
31-05-2007, 02:46 PM
indeed, what does make her so special? theres so many others who might not have been left alone by their parents, still missing.

preferential treatment sucks

EDDIE M0NS00N
31-05-2007, 03:41 PM
I think this is why ppl are so pissed off u see BeyondJumpFish.
Its bad enough the parents being so irresponsible & selfish, but to have all of this publicity & fuss & cash thrown at them & not at other families who have lost a child is pretty sickening. It is this that angers me & I'm sure others more about the McCanns. Why have they been picked?

I knew 'The Europe Tour' was gonna happen. And if there are any so-called sightings in the USA/Canada/Australia/Japan/The Bahamas I guarantee they'll be on the 1st flight there. And while theyre there they might aswell take in the sights between 'campaigning'.
Eastyy is right though. You'd be better off checking every house in the village where she was taken than go to another country. You'd probably stumble across a clue at least.

Sarcasm/cynicism aside, travelling around Europe is not gonna gain anything as everyone knows who Madeline is due to the overload of media coverage. In fact, while I was walking thru town with the missus this morning we past a Chippy & I saw a little girl which at 1st glance looked very similar to Madeline. On 2nd glance though I was wrong, but its been driven so hard by the media that u cant not recognise her face & I'm sure this is true for all of Europe & even the rest of the World too. Afterall, it did happen in a European country.

Yoshimax
31-05-2007, 04:01 PM
The twins going on tour as well ?

Kotatsu Neko
31-05-2007, 05:08 PM
The twins going on tour as well ?

Right after the parents get the charity single out, which will be co-sung by members of the gutter press and the BBC NEWS team. The parents will be doing a book signing too in a few weeks, then doing the chat show circuit. Then you can read their memoirs exclusively serialised in The Daily Star.

Oh the madeline collectable mugs and figures are out in 3 weeks.

AllYourBase
31-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Hopefully their busy schedule will settle down by the winter so they have time to go on celebrity big brother!

BeyondJumpFish
31-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Oh the madeline collectable mugs and figures are out in 3 weeks.

LOL!

BeyondJumpFish
31-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Do you think there would be as much media fuss if it was a boy that went missing? I don't think so. And would there be a £1.5 mill reward if it was an ugly ginger little girl with a woggly eye? I doubt it.

Kieran76
31-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Or if the child was black or asian?

BeyondJumpFish
31-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Or if the child was black or asian?

Yeah too ****ing right! I guess the fact that she is white and has a very angelic face has nothing to do with it?! :curse:

Jebus
31-05-2007, 08:15 PM
This has truly become the sickest thing ever now, hasn't it? It's almost like the little girl has been forgotten... :(

If it was my boy I can tell you what would happen :

I personally wouldn't sleep for searching every single place I could, knocking every door down...

My wife would probably be curled in a little ball crying forever, only stopping to feed our young baby.

I just don't understand people anymore, ok, put a brave face on ****ing hell know when to stop because this is sickening...

Aren't we crossing the threshold of...well, how to put this...if she were going to be found, she would have by now?

Kongster
31-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Sadly, with each passing day that goes by, we can only assume the worst.:(

Herbalizer
31-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Not sure if this link has been posted here, but its interesting reading and gives an explanation for the media coverage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

BeyondJumpFish
31-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Not sure if this link has been posted here, but its interesting reading and gives an explanation for the media coverage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

Thats a hell of an intresting read! I speculated to myself that this kind of thing went on but now i know it does! Well done for finding that!

toythatkills
31-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Aren't we crossing the threshold of...well, how to put this...if she were going to be found, she would have by now?

Wasn't there a girl recently that was found alive in Austria or Germany that had been abducted 10 or so years back?

ascender
31-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Wasn't there a girl recently that was found alive in Austria or Germany that had been abducted 10 or so years back?

Yeah, but I think that case was unique as the guy who kidnapped her had a secret room in his house all ready to keep her locked up in. I think he went to really extreme lengths to keep her hidden.

As for the parents, they're just trying to keep the momentum going and keep their child's face in the media for as long as possible. Which is more than understandable.

But obviously there's so many questions to be asked about how the media coverage is being handled, the parents' responsibility in the first place, the fact this case is getting so much coverage in the first place etc.

Just awful. I still can't believe they left their kids on their own. As a fairly new parent, I can't ever believe that I'd become that comfortable with the idea of my child being left alone like that. Does that really happen to you as you get older and you have more kids?

If you have a child, you have to accept that your life has changed and take all the new responsibilities on board. Its now all about your wee one and everything else comes second.

MartyG
06-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Someone had to ask ...

And someone in the press finally has. On the news tonight a press conference was shown with a German reporter asking if their conduct was that of someone who'd lost a child, and if they had anything to do with it.

Their repsonse seemed so cool and calculated and totally lacked any emotion such as "How dare you" - it was quite chilling actually.

linky (http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_6720000/newsid_6727500?redirect=6727567.stm&news=1&bbwm=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&nbram=1) and related news story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6725321.stm

Kotatsu Neko
06-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Almost as if they had the answer rehearsed. Who'd of thought it?

How much money have they made from this so far? Over a million?

MartyG
06-06-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm sure they've had plenty of PR coaching by now - even so, I find the lack of emotion disturbing.

Distant Cousin
06-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Video isn't working for me, what did they say?

iloveannie
07-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Some of you lot really amaze me with your comments. I'm going to unsubscribe from this thread now.

Spagoli
07-06-2007, 09:19 AM
I read about the interview in the paper, he was supposed to have said "I have never heard before that anyone considers us suspects and the Portuguese police certainly dont"

Is he nuts, my little one only has to start screaming when I go out shopping and I think the whole world is pointing the finger that I am not a competent parent, he loses his daughter and he thinks no-one suspects they have anything to do with it :confused:

SuperDanX
07-06-2007, 09:31 AM
The whole saga is a bit of a farce as far as im concerned, much of which has been well documented in this thread, but id be suprised to say the least if they were involved.

kernow
07-06-2007, 09:37 AM
that 'fund' .. they don't just automatically get given it .. do they?

I thought it was for helping find her .. or something

dataDave
07-06-2007, 09:40 AM
They're off to Amsterdam next! LOL!!

This is how silly my town is - around the main bandstand in the centre is a huge memorial type setting where people have made posters and left soft toys etc.. What the F**K has that kid got anything to do with anyone in this town? GTF!! I might go down and burn it, or piss on it and then burn it.

Just shows how media has a grip on the sheep really.

Or I might make my own poster describing how **** the parents are.

What next for these f**kers? Celeb BB?

Prophet Hero
07-06-2007, 10:26 AM
What next for these f**kers? Celeb BB?

A story in last Sunday's Observer said (in a non-cynical tone) to possibly expect a concert, a sporting event or even a Madeleine Day. The thrust of the story was that a salaried campaign manager has been hired from the funds accumulated thus far.

in5ane
07-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Sick thought of the day for me: What if the parents found the poor kid, and they secretly did away with her to keep the gravy train rolling?

EDDIE M0NS00N
07-06-2007, 10:49 AM
They're off to Amsterdam next! LOL!!

This is how silly my town is - around the main bandstand in the centre is a huge memorial type setting where people have made posters and left soft toys etc.. What the F**K has that kid got anything to do with anyone in this town? GTF!! I might go down and burn it, or piss on it and then burn it.

Ifu piss on it 1st you wont be able to light it so u wanna burn it 1st, THEN piss on it to put it out.
Trust me I know what I'm talking about mate ;) .

Seriously though, I think it was very brave of that reporter to ask the question although I think she mixed up ppl's views on the couples neglect with the possibility that they were involved. I know some ppl are suspucious of them (inc my Dad) but I think its very few tbh.

I think that if they organise a concert or an event or a Madeline Day then I think more ppl will be speaking their true views regarding all of this i.e. its just too much.

EDDIE M0NS00N
07-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Sick thought of the day for me: What if the parents found the poor kid, and they secretly did away with her to keep the gravy train rolling?

Unfortunatley it could be possibile.
It is very strange that there's hardly been any clues found in the flat as to who the kidnapper was.

Just speculation at the end of the day though.

kernow
07-06-2007, 10:55 AM
oh come on, like that happened, I somehow doubt it was the parents, no matter how they are acting.

in5ane
07-06-2007, 11:04 AM
It's fun to speculate kernow! They need some plot twist ideas for the movie anyway :)

Yoshimax
07-06-2007, 11:31 AM
They seem happy enough to abandon their twins and go pissing about Europe - Funny how she goes to great lengths in the video to tell us all how much they love their kids.

Reporter "Where are they?" would've been a good one.

Prophet Hero
10-06-2007, 04:24 PM
I know some people are a little tired of the cynical digs in this thread but this latest development is a little eerie.

In today's Observer it reports that the McCanns are negotiating with Google to have a day when the "oo" on the search engine's main page is replaced with Madeleine's eyes (one of her eyes has a distinctive pupil, I believe).

Call me an uncaring bastard (I'm not though!) but this creeps me out.

angelx
10-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Yuk, please god no. I hope they find the child but this media circus is more sickening than any thats have gone before

Kongster
10-06-2007, 04:55 PM
I hope they find the child but this media circus is more sickening than any thats have gone before
It shows no signs of abating and until they find the child, it's only gonna gather more and more momentum.

importaku
10-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Does anyone else see a record deal coming out from all this.

I can see all the z list celebs banding together doing a charity song, live aid style. It reminds me of the simpsons episode where bart pretends he's fallen down a well.

To be honest im sick of hearing about it now, yes its tragic that someones child was taken but im sorry theres more important things in the world happening now. Just because shes white & pretty the media circus has gone into overdrive.

As much as i hope shes found ok the reality of whats happened with past kidnappings leads me to belive shes probably already dead. These things rarely have a happy ending.

jimmbob
13-06-2007, 02:05 PM
SECONDLIFE (http://www.destructoid.com/second-life-used-to-look-for-missing-girl-32906.phtml) is going to have "Virtual Posters" up...

Ady
13-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Does anyone else see a record deal coming out from all this..

Either that or Hollywood will come knocking...

Marius
13-06-2007, 03:29 PM
or EA games.

eastyy
13-06-2007, 03:31 PM
SECONDLIFE (http://www.destructoid.com/second-life-used-to-look-for-missing-girl-32906.phtml) is going to have "Virtual Posters" up...

If you have seen this girl in cyberspace let us know ????

Prophet Hero
13-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Isn't this Second Life venture a bad idea?

I don't know much about the...experience (my eyes glaze over just looking at the column in Edge) but I've read a lot of weird things happen. Like adults deliberately creating child-like avatars...

Jebus
13-06-2007, 03:40 PM
It's beyond a joke really, how many children go missing every day? The parents of those children who aren't part of a media circus must be absolute wrecks, crying themselves to sleep every night.

jimmbob
13-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Exactly, the guy in the article I linked to makes some very good points.

Yoshimax
13-06-2007, 03:47 PM
I wonder if they took all the money gathered solely for this kid and applied it equally across all missing kids if they wouldn't have turned one or two of them up ???