Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you ready to STONER RAWK?

Everyone likes stoner stuff, right?

Clutch, Fu Manchu, Spirit Caravan, Kyuss, Sixty Watt Shaman, all that kind of stuff.

Discuss your love for the genre here!

Clutch, Kyuss, Monster Magnet, Nebula plus to some extent new bands like The Sword are the ****.

Grew up on Kyuss, I lived the ages 14-17 in slow-mo, bassy heaven. First time i heard Gardinia i was off my tits with my first girlfriend. Awesome

Not too keen on Clutch now though, the new album is quite bland comparitively, and when i saw them live they did non of their 'hits', still can't argue with that back catalogue though.

Fu Manchu are one of those groups i've always wanted to get into, but i always forgot, they had a catchy as hell song in the nineties that made me seek them out, but i never got round to getting an album. Worth looking into?

Monster Magnet = aces, too.

Comment

Yeah Fu Manchu are awesome. Start out with King of The Road or Godzilla Eatin Dust - fantastic, fun band who write songs about space and souped up boogie vans and hot rods and stuff. I went to see them a few years ago, and in real life the singer looks really, really old - a bit like Keith Richards as it goes. Surely he can't be that old?

Comment

CATHEDRAL!!! ENTOMBED!!! Man they had some MASSIVE riffage! They're some of the few bands I was into when I was a teeny that I can still listen to and enjoy today.

I quite liked Monster Magnet and Fu Manchu too. Do Stamping Ground count as stoner or hardcore?
        Last edited by MattyD; 10-05-2007, 14:31. Reason: I clearly stoned too much to remember the band's names...

Comment

Originally posted by Pookmunki View Post
          Clutch, Kyuss, Monster Magnet, Nebula plus to some extent new bands like The Sword are the ****.

Grew up on Kyuss, I lived the ages 14-17 in slow-mo, bassy heaven. First time i heard Gardinia i was off my tits with my first girlfriend. Awesome

Not too keen on Clutch now though, the new album is quite bland comparitively, and when i saw them live they did non of their 'hits', still can't argue with that back catalogue though.
          Really? I thought 'Beale Street...' was a Clutch classic.

I think they've been a band that have got better and better with age, tbh. Listening to the old classics of 'Escape from The Prison Planet' and 'Animal Farm' sound a bit pedestrian compared to the likes of 'Burning Beard', 'Mice & Gods' and 'Electric Worry' for example, but you'd expect that with the frequency of their output.

When I see em' last month, the only "oldie" we got was 'Crackerjack' from "The Elephant Riders" album... The Sword on the other-hand were supporting, and were ear-splittingly awesome!

Comment

I'm going to re-animate this thread as I've only just got into Stoner Rock.

I hate the term, but love the music. I've loved Sabbath for ages and they're the grandaddies of this genre, but I'm loving the work of The Sword, even before they were on Guitar Hero after catching Winter's Wolves on MTV2.

Since then I've been checking out High on Fire, Saviours and other Last.fm suggested bands. Do Helmet count or are they "Noise Metal"?

I've been listening this week to Kyuss and I've been pointed towards Reuben,Mondo Genrator, Fu Manchu and Black Flag.

Any other suggestions? I prefer it if bands sing rather than shout though!

Comment

Do Iron Butterfly qualify as 'stoner rock'? Good band.

Comment

'In a gadda da vida' is certainly proto stoner.
                Another shout for Cathedral,awesome band.
                'Holy Mountain' by Sleep is probably greatest stoner album of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Seany View Post
                  Everyone likes stoner stuff, right?

Clutch, Fu Manchu, Spirit Caravan, Kyuss, Sixty Watt Shaman, all that kind of stuff.

Discuss your love for the genre here!
                  Think you missed Fatso Jetson off there...and Unida.

Comment

Originally posted by analog dog View Post
                    'Holy Mountain' by Sleep is probably greatest stoner album of all time.
                    Have to disagree, Dragonaut is great, everything else is

Everyone in here gets sexually dominated by Electric Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                      ENTOMBED!!! Man they had some MASSIVE riffage! They're some of the few bands I was into when I was a teeny that I can still listen to and enjoy today.

I quite liked Monster Magnet and Fu Manchu too. Do Stamping Ground count as stoner or hardcore?
                      Entombed! Massive riffs but not stoner. SG deffo hardcore! My last band did a tour with them.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        I
                        Since then I've been checking out High on Fire, Saviours and other Last.fm suggested bands. Do Helmet count or are they "Noise Metal"?
                        Nah, Helmet aren't Stoner Rock at all. They're definitely Noise Metal, though.

As for the genre, Kyuss is mandatory. I remember getting nearly every one of my friends into them years ago at a house party when I when I was living in Coventry.

Monster Magnet were pretty good, too. I didn't like Cathedral much at the time, but find myself listening to them more now

Sleep are pretty good, too.

Comment

Saint Vitus

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've been Last.fm and Spotifying the hell out of these.

I like Clutch and Fu Manchu (who are playing the Islington Academy tonight!)

I've also discovered ASG (used to be All Systems Go, but there's another band with that name). Cool beans!

Comment

The Sword have a new album out, Warp Riders! Can't wait to see them when they hit the UK in December.

I've also been getting into Orange Goblin. They're also touring in December, so I'm going to have a Christmas full of heavy riffs!

Their last album and live DVD, Healing Through Fire, is a mere £5 on play.com!

Comment

Working...
                              X