Download problem ~ Possibly firewall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download problem ~ Possibly firewall?

I'm having trouble sending and receiving files on things such as ICQ and mIRC. Sometimes I can send, but I never seem to be able to receive. I have disabled my firewall, which is the one used by my D-Link DSL-504 router, but the problem persists.

This is using WinXp, btw. I can't think of anymore info to give that's relevant, so any ideas and suggestions are most appreciated. Obviously, I've tweaked all the settings in IE I can think of as well. Cheers.

you turned off the ****ty inbuilt firewall XP has (its turned on by default)

Comment

Hmmm...it's that's the one in network settings, then I think that might be the only one I've turned off. How can I check if I've turned off my router's firewall? There's nothing obvious I can see (although, to be fair, I'm pretty dumb).

Comment

If you are using the router to share an Internet connection, then it will be using a technique called NAT to forward traffic around your LAN. Even if all your firewalls are disabled, NAT by design blocks all ports. You need to open up specific ports in your router settings for the relevant software to use. I'm not familiar with your router but it's pretty straightforward to do - you should be able to access your router's settings through a web page (see manual)

Router manual:
        ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Broadband/DSL504...4_manual_2.pdf

Port opening/forwarding:
        A "special application" is one that doesn't work with the default settings of your Internet sharing method.  Depending on the sharing method you use and the

Port list here:
         TIP: There's a reference list of port definitions here if you're curious (WARNING: it is a very long page).

Comment

Thanks for that, but without a handholding tutorial, it's beyond me, I'm afraid. The manual isn't very helpful at all, and seems to be a list of features rather than a guide.

Comment

No worries,

If you check out the forums on www.adslguide.org.uk I'm sure you'll find some users with the same router tryin to do similar things.

Comment

Many thanks for all the help, Tak. Most appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
                Many thanks for all the help, Tak. Most appreciated.
                If you are using FTP go to internet options and make sure passive FTP is enabled.

Neil.

Comment

I've done that now, Neil. Who knows? It hasn't cured the fault, but it might have been part of a 'chain' of faults (as these things are with frikkin PCs), so thanks for the info mate.

Comment

Working...
                  X