Snowboarding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snowboarding

Anyone do it? In the last year we got one of those huge Xscape centres like 10 minutes from my house built. http://www.xscape.co.uk/snow/braehead/

It has the UKs longest real snowslope, and I started lessons yesterday then went back tonight to hit the slope properly. And I LOVE it!!

I'm all blooded and bruised now from tonight, fell so many times and half the time I thought I had well broken an ankle or wrist or something but falling is half the fun. On our last go, I said to my mate at the top, if you go for the jump, make it spectacular and if you fall, make it even more spectacular... So he managed fine with a pretty impressive jump and fall then I was going way too fast, caught a good bit of air, couldn't slow down enough, tumbled on my side then straight through the air and smashed my leg of a pole. Was so bloody sore but still excellent fun!

I'm so addicted to it, and will def be going all the time now, ?16 on Monday nights for 3 hours. Total bargain I think!

So anyone else do it at all?

i do whenever I can, but havent been in the past year or so. Used to be proper hardcore, and made the drive from Bristol to Tamworth snowdome at least twice a week for a good few months.

Had to sell my board a couple of months ago tho to fund my Japan move, which was painful. Hoping to board over there though, so...

Comment

Went up to Glenshee for the real thing a few times ... great days out. Much trickier than skiing, but a lot more fun.

Comment

I've wanted to go snowboarding so badly over the yrs & me & my bro always promised ourselves we'd go snowboarding abroad at least once before we died. But alas, we havent so far.
        Does anyone know if theres a slope in South Wales anywhere apart from Pembrey & Swansea? (if they're still there that is!!)
        Preferably indoors?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Verceti View Post
          I've wanted to go snowboarding so badly over the yrs & me & my bro always promised ourselves we'd go snowboarding abroad at least once before we died.
          I've been snowboarding once - down a black run in the Alps. \o/

Took all afternoon to get down.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Verceti View Post
            I've wanted to go snowboarding so badly over the yrs & me & my bro always promised ourselves we'd go snowboarding abroad at least once before we died. But alas, we havent so far.
            Does anyone know if theres a slope in South Wales anywhere apart from Pembrey & Swansea? (if they're still there that is!!)
            Preferably indoors?
            Not that i know of mate. If there was, I'd have been over the bridge every week! (I hope im wrong though, but i think the nearest to you is Tamworth or Milton Keynes X-scape).

Comment

I'm just about to book up for January in Austria. Didn't go last year because the boy was too young to leave in a creche and didn't fancy sticking him in a rucksack.

Went twice the year before though. Was ace.

Me being filmed a couple of years ago.
              Me filming while trying to stay upright
              Sorry about the dodgy quality - tis just a canon ixus still camera with a video mode.

Quickest way to the bottom? Forget the piste. Go straight down.

I used to ski and will again some time soon, but for the moment, I'm loving the boarding. It was so much easier to get up to a decent standard at boarding than skiing.

@Roscco - are you like 12 and made of rubber? I get scared doing all the stuff and I'm relatively ok at boarding I've fallen on my head a few times though which tends to make you wary in future....

I can pretty much carve black runs now, but last time spent the whole week off piste cos the snow was lush.
              Last edited by charlesr; 22-05-2007, 14:46.

Comment

Is Tamworth alright then, Mr Heats? There's one just up the road from my house, Swadlincote, or Tamworth ain't far away.

Comment

I go snowboarding at Braehead XScape like you Rossco

Been doing it since August, had 6 weeks out though cause I broke my wrist first time I went, score!

Tis awesome fun though, wish I could afford to go more often.

Comment

Wrist guards are essential. They always the first things to touch down and they let you get away with almost anything. Until the next level...

Comment

Aye, I learnt that the hard way! I've been wearing a protective bandage on it since I got the cast off, should get something sturdier really...

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post

@Roscco - are you like 12 and made of rubber? I get scared doing all the stuff and I'm relatively ok at boarding I've fallen on my head a few times though which tends to make you wary in future....

I can pretty much carve black runs now, but last time spent the whole week off piste cos the snow was lush.
                        Those vids wouldnt download for me mate.

What does the 12 and made of rubber comment mean!? It's not an insult is it? Just because I've just started and I dont mind throwing myself about on the slope!?

A few times I thought I had well broken my wrist, some kind of protective gear may be useful but half the fun is being on edge knowing that if you mess up, your gonna have something bad to show for it!

Distant Cousin, when I go on Monday nights for 3 hours its only ?20 as its a student night and you get another 20% discount off that with an SCUK card. Dont know if that helps you at all!

Comment

I'd use wrist guards that u can pick up from any sports retailer at a reasonable price. Thats what I've used in the past when I've done me wrists in on my (skate)board.

Injuries are the worst & I wouldnt say I get a thrill when I'm 'on the edge' so to speak. It get more of a buzz when I land summat I've been trying for a while.
                          You guys'll feel it when u get older & your wrists are killing in the cold weather!!
                          No seriously, its all good fun though isnt it.

Comment

got back from val d'esire / tignes a month or so back. Best off piste ever.
                            havent been to any indoor slopes ( or any dry slopes for that matter ) yet, might try my new boots out on a slope soon

learning to fall properly is essential for anyone thinking about learning boarding. No matter how good you are you will always fall over. Friend has been boarding his whole life ( and ski'ing ) and we went on la spot in tignes this year, he had just shaved the edges of his board off ( more flex on the board for boardparks ) and he fell over so many times where his board had no edge to cut into the snow and hurt himself so many times because he got out of the habbit of falling properly, this is even on 4 feet of fresh powder where you shouldnt feel any pain.

any dryslopes down south ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
                              Distant Cousin, when I go on Monday nights for 3 hours its only ?20 as its a student night and you get another 20% discount off that with an SCUK card. Dont know if that helps you at all!
                              Aye, been to it before. Was after a full day of college though so I nearly died cause I was so tired, haha!

Good laugh though.

Comment

Working...
                              X