X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Engine Duo CD Rom problems

Hi,

I've been on DUOs all weekend

It's a complete whore of a console! but as the machine is powering up I suggest the fault lies with the PSU. There may not be enough power for the machine or a dodgy connection is killing it.

Without testing components on the board I cant say much more >_<

If the drive is gettng stuck as you say - then the best thing to do is take the cover off and have a look. The drive is connected to the main board by 3 connectors, unplug them and the small ground wire which unscrews from the drive and the whole unit will lift out. There is a plastic cover which lifts off the drive unit so yo can get to the motor and gears. Check to see that nothing is getting caught (a wire could be blocking the path for example)

Comment

Thanks Saurian.

I'm not sure if the unit is actually getting stuck. It makes no noise at all, so could be a PSU problem as you say.

The console has some weird screws, so I guess I would have to buy some funky screwdriver or another.

I may as well have bananas for fingers when it comes to repairs and such. How much would you charge to fix one of these, Saurian?

Thanks again.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
        Thanks Saurian.

I'm not sure if the unit is actually getting stuck. It makes no noise at all, so could be a PSU problem as you say.

The console has some weird screws, so I guess I would have to buy some funky screwdriver or another.

I may as well have bananas for fingers when it comes to repairs and such. How much would you charge to fix one of these, Saurian?

Thanks again.

Jay
        j0

I normally charge ?20 for stuff like this - I have been working on a Duo this weekend so I'm familiar with it (it's a bitch tho)

One question: on the Duo when you insert a CD and switch the machine on is it supposed to spin immediately or do you have to press run button first (testing a machine, but I have no controllers)

Saur

Comment

I think it only spins when you press Run. As mine won't spin at all now, it's hard for me to say.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
            I think it only spins when you press Run. As mine won't spin at all now, it's hard for me to say.

Jay
            Thanks for that man - you're welome to send it to me. I wont charge if it cannot be repaired and it'll be ?20 if it can.

Saur

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
              Originally posted by Jay

Jay
              Thanks for that man - you're welome to send it to me. I wont charge if it cannot be repaired and it'll be ?20 if it can.

Saur
              Thanks Saurian.

I'm going to contact the bloke I bought it from first. If (when) I get no joy from exploring that particular avenue, I'll contact you.

Jay

Comment

Saurian,

I've sent you a PM.

Cheers,

Jay

Comment

Working...
                X