NTSC GAMECUBE MODDED RGB CABLE - ALL OWNERS PLEASE READ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTSC GAMECUBE MODDED RGB CABLE - ALL OWNERS PLEASE READ

Just a word of warning. If you are using the modded RGB cable for an NTSC gamecube, then do not disconnect either end of the cable (GC end or TV end) while the GC is turned on. There is a high chance of damage to the Gamecube and has happened to a few people, including myself. Obviously you shouldn't unplug any cable from any console while it is switched on, but in this case there seems to be a higher chance of damage occuring. On mine, the sound died.
    For those who it has already happened to, Saurian is working on finding a solution for repairing damaged units, so finger's crossed. Good luck Saurian and thanks for all the advice.

Good tip, thanks for the info Charles - I don't make a habit of removing cables when machines are turned on, but I'll be extra vigilant from now on

Comment

yeah thanks for posting this, i dont remove cables while things are on but will take note of it.

off topic but doesn't the rgb lead blow the sound chip if you have the hole method region switch mod also ?

Comment

Originally posted by wod
        yeah thanks for posting this, i dont remove cables while things are on but will take note of it.

off topic but doesn't the rgb lead blow the sound chip if you have the hole method region switch mod also ?
        The sound chip does not blow.

The power spike from pulling the cable out while the machine is on causes components to go on the power regulator. Not sure what you mean about the region mod - NCSX were using incorrect points which caused the machine to switch to it's native region when you plug the cable in. This is nothing to do with this fault tho.

The power regulator supplies different voltages for various functions. I previously thought the digital port got totally knocked out by this fault, but thats not the case - it's only the +12v line on the digital port which is killed. So the RGB output will work if you manually select it.

I have 4 or 5 of these damaged boards and will post the details of the fault when I can.

Comment

Hole method? Do you mean US cube modded to play jap games?

Comment

The region switch fault is a separate issue

Cubes from NCSX and a couple other places were modded VERY stupidly. They were installing a HUGE push button to the back of the machine, which is totally wrong for a start. But the problem was with the points they used to switch region. Instead of linking the 2 sides of the jumper (which are SMACK next to eachother) like any intelligent person would do, they instead connected to a nearby resistor which is involved in the activation of the digital port. The machine will always switch to it's native region when the lead is plugged in.

Getting the mod done properly again solves this.

Comment

Cheers for the heads up - I guess this problem could occur when using the modded VGA cable aswell ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tak
                Cheers for the heads up - I guess this problem could occur when using the modded VGA cable aswell ?
                Any cable on any machine man

It's bad practice to remove leads from machines with the power on.

Comment

Something I never do... but until Charles mentioned it a few days ago, I didn't think removing the Scart from the socket damages things. Now I know, won't be doing that again!
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

****, ok, thanks for letting us know. I could do without all that blowing up of stuff seeing as there are no import shops in Perth that could fix it. An expense I definitely don't need.

Comment

Interesting - I'm pretty sure I damaged my cube like this. I had one of the badly modded NCSX machines, which I re-modded after I realised the problem (you only actually need to re-solder one wire if you look at the board). Anyway, I stupidly plugged the video cable back in (not sure which one caused the problem) with the power on to check that the re-done mod wouldn't cause the same problem (I know, I know...).

The damage to the cube is fairly odd - different video modes now have radically different levels of overscan and some polys from certain angles flicker slighty (this is quite rare).

The cube's still useable, although obviously not ideal.

Comment

Mine get's a bit loose sometimes from the back of my T.V and the colours go funny, mainly light blue. Could this do any damage? Also, mines switched into widescreen mode(or I think it has), could this be the result of it becoming loose from the scart socket?

Comment

Originally posted by Buttox
                          Interesting - I'm pretty sure I damaged my cube like this. I had one of the badly modded NCSX machines, which I re-modded after I realised the problem (you only actually need to re-solder one wire if you look at the board). Anyway, I stupidly plugged the video cable back in (not sure which one caused the problem) with the power on to check that the re-done mod wouldn't cause the same problem (I know, I know...).

The damage to the cube is fairly odd - different video modes now have radically different levels of overscan and some polys from certain angles flicker slighty (this is quite rare).

The cube's still useable, although obviously not ideal.
                          Yes bruv this is caused by the same fault on the same regulator board. On purpose I did the same thing on a PAL machine and found that while the sound didnt go - I got all that you detailed above. Still on these boards man - sorry about the wait, will give you news asap.

Comment

Saurian and others - I have never experienced this problem.

I've made and tested hundreds of these cables and have unplugged the RGB / VGA cables countless times with the power on and will continue to do so. I'm happy to report that the one and only Cube I've ever used is still going strong with no problems whatsover. It may be bad practise but this behaviour should not cause physical damage unless the cables have been improperly grounded.

When making them, please make sure all connections are properly soldered and insulated with heatshrink - this includes covering any resistors used at the scart plug end and all ground wires individually. If pulling switching voltage from the D-Terminal Connector Pin, then also make sure this wire is double insulated with flexible heatshrink right up to the PCB point. Make sure this wire does not cut itself against the metal hood when replacing.

If this is indeed a real problem with some people, might I suggest you pull the switching voltage from the Analogue port of the Gamecube instead.

Comment

My RGB lead was one of the first batch of Goblin ones, if that's of any use to anyone - not top quality, but it works (when it's not blowing up my cube).

Comment

Working...
                              X