Prog Scan input question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prog Scan input question

Hi folks I've been sans a display device for my consoles for a while now, and spotted a lovely looking 20' Philips LCD TV for a decent price.

I believe it's the 20PF 9925, and according to the spec sheet it does progressive scan but the following input ports are all that are available.

- Euro A/V Connector (RGB in, CVBS in/out)
    - S-video Y/C (mini-DIN) in
    - Video CVBS (cinch) in
    - Audio L/R (cinch) in
    - Headphones (3.5mm jack) out

Now If I recall the Cube Prog Scan cable has a VGA style jack, which appears to have no input in this model. am I correct in saying that I won't be able to get this to do Prog Scan for a US Cube?

I'm no expert on this, but I think the VGA style input you mean is the D-Terminal cable. This is only used in Japan, the American equivalent is the Component connectors - the red, green and blue RCA style plugs.

Comment

Hmmmmm, I'm guessing the only way this display would support that is something through a SCART cable...which means for a US Cube I'm pretty much out of luck then.

-Sigh-

Comment

Originally posted by Baroque
        Hmmmmm, I'm guessing the only way this display would support that is something through a SCART cable...which means for a US Cube I'm pretty much out of luck then.

-Sigh-
        I tried to find a suitable component LCD. There are two available in the UK. A Toshiba one that you will find in John Lewis which is nice but small. And a Grundig one you'll find in Currys. Neither where as good as I required interms of image latency. Your next option is to import a LCD monitor with component plugged in.

The other option is to use a scaler with VGA out / component in which is what I use with my VGA monitor which is awesome. For console games, LCD just doesn't cut it imo though.

Cheers,
        Neil.

Comment

Also - groundy can make you a Cube VGA cable that works with progressive scan games on a VGA screen. Only works with progressive and remember this is 640X480 which means you'll either see a small picture in the centre of the LCD screen, or the LCD will scale it to its native resolution and it will look, if my experience is anything to go by, awful.

Neil.

Comment

Hi,
            i was under the impression that to output a progressive scan pic the tv in question must have component inputs.
            ta famitsu1

Comment

Originally posted by famitsu1
              Hi,
              i was under the impression that to output a progressive scan pic the tv in question must have component inputs.
              ta famitsu1
              No progressive scan can be delivered via a VGA connector also. It depends on the source rather than the desitnation. A number of progressive scan dvd players and TV's have VGA sockets.

Regards,
              Neil.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilMcRae

No progressive scan can be delivered via a VGA connector also. It depends on the source rather than the desitnation. A number of progressive scan dvd players and TV's have VGA sockets.

Regards,
                Neil.
                Reading both the US and Euro product manuals it appears that they replaced the component inputs with the Euroscart connector in the European model, so yes the TV can do Progressive Scan there just isn't a means to connect something to it which will get it to. (From what I know of all this anyway.)

Another question when I look at the Cube RGB lead from Goblin it appears to have a SCART style connector, a Cube connector and some other funky (D-Sub?) connector. What might I ask goes where? Do two ends plug into the cube and the SCART into the TV or is it two into the TV and one back into the Cube?

Comment

The scart goes into the TV, the other two go into the analog and digital out sockets on the back of the cube

Comment

Looking at the manual it doesn't look like it supports Component video (YUV).

However some people confuse Progressive Scan with Component Video, Progressive Scan is nothing more then a pretty name for Non Interlaced, Non sounds negative and Progressive sounds positive...

VGA is a signal that displays a non interlaced... er I mean Progressive Scan signal.

The TV seems to be a Monitor with a TV tuner thrown in, there isn't anything in the manual to suggest it even supports RGB SCART or NTSC video. Remember the SCART socket was designed mainly for Composite video, so TVs don't have to Support RGB or S-Video (which was a late entry anyway).

Hope that helps...

Comment

Originally posted by MD

Hope that helps...
                      Let me get this clear in my own mind before I make the mistake of paying the rip-off price they charge for such things over here. (2000 euro, I kid you not.)

So it's just an expensive piece of junk which won't give me RGB (Even though it mentions the Euro A/V connector doing RGB in), and won't do Progessive Scan, even if I was using a Cube RGB cable?

(This is starting to do my head in )

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys.
                        These blasted thing will cost me a enough so I'd like to get things right
                        The 15' http://www.p4c.philips.com/mprdata/0...150062_pss.pdf
                        ..appears to do VGA in, but it costs slightly more than the 20'.

It would kill me to move down to something smaller but I suppose you can't compromise on visual quality if you're looking for decent definition.

It looks like I'm a full product rev away from a proper size & proper price point.

Typical.

[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Baroque
                          Thanks for all the help guys.
                          These blasted thing will cost me a enough so I'd like to get things right
                          The 15' http://www.p4c.philips.com/mprdata/0...150062_pss.pdf
                          ..appears to do VGA in, but it costs slightly more than the 20'.

It would kill me to move down to something smaller but I suppose you can't compromise on visual quality if you're looking for decent definition.

It looks like I'm a full product rev away from a proper size & proper price point.

Typical.

[/url]
                          Yup- as I said I was trying to do the same as you. The closest I found was this:

but the UK version they hack off the lovely component inputs and stick on RGB SCART.

I borrowed one:

but the image lag was terrible and at 24inch it was actually too big to use as a sensible PC monitor.

In the end I did this, kept the Eizo 19inch that I had and bought one of these:

which takes a variery of signals and scales them to what ever resolution you want. It works fantastically and is the best console to VGA solution I found without going gaga at the bank manager.

Neil.

Comment

That's a lovely looking piece of display hardware, was it a low refresh rate which caused the image lag?

Comment

Working...
                            X