PDA

View Full Version : Piratebay and other sharing facilitation sites

huxley
02-10-2007, 05:25 PM
edit by charlesr: Torrent site link removed. Please check the rules. So that the thread still makes sense, in summary, piratebay are filing claims against the major media companies because they have evidence that they have been paying hackers etc to sabotage piratebay's operation with dos attacks etc. which will count as commercial sabotage - if proven guilty, the media companies will have major egg on faces.

Kinda funny I know, but it will be interesting to see what happens. Torrents are so rife these days something has to snap.

As long as I can still get my Heros and Weeds fixes I`m fine.

Ish
02-10-2007, 06:11 PM
I will piss myself with laughter if they win. Not because of any moral view on piracy but because I think the movie industry has been so damn short sighted and stupid in how its approached digital technologies and increased bandwidth.

angelx
02-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Theres so many flash based video sites, plus web divx sites now too offering tv shows etc, you dont even need torrents...

bootmonster
03-10-2007, 11:22 AM
You do if you love your full HD stuff! Heroes is LOADS better in HD!

eastyy
03-10-2007, 11:28 AM
well have noticed a few torrent sites going down

one site recently came back apparently they got a threat of a lawsuit from a lawyer in canada.......so they had to redo it so nobody from canada could use the site

DJGibbon
03-10-2007, 11:29 AM
I'd much rather have proper HD quality files archived that I can rely on to be watchable when I want, rather than relying on flaky streaming-type sites

Bleeders
03-10-2007, 11:39 AM

Testify. As is Bones, CSI, 24 etc.

:thumb:

Yoshimax
03-10-2007, 11:46 AM
People still use torrents ?

kernow
03-10-2007, 12:12 PM
no, these sites exist for no reason.

cavalcade
03-10-2007, 12:22 PM

Would Citizen Kane be better in HD?

ChrisF
03-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Am I the only one who still uses news groups? :ph34r:

Brats
03-10-2007, 01:41 PM
I watch Heroes in HD...

It's on the telly every Wednesday night.

I will piss myself with laughter if they win. Not because of any moral view on piracy but because I think the movie industry has been so damn short sighted and stupid in how its approached digital technologies and increased bandwidth.

I don't agree with that view. I'm not sure what the movie industry could have done. It did try movie downloads back in the 90's but it failed miserably because the technology wasn't up to scratch and people weren't prepared to pay for it. Bandwidth is still pretty slow for the vast majority of people even today.

I don't see how you can say that if the movie industry had come up with an alternative to torrents that it would have helped. You'd just get people who buy legit DVDs moving to buy legit downloads, which is what happened with itunes. People who pirate stuff will still do it regardless (as CDs have proved).

Yoshimax
03-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Am I the only one who still uses news groups? :ph34r:

No that's what I was getting at - Torrents are ****e I can't believe anyone would use them over newsgroups bar cheapskates who didn't want to pay the $10 a month :ph34r:

kernow
03-10-2007, 02:14 PM
surely cheapskates are pirating to begin with? I don't want to pay for newsgroups because I'm not a person who rabidly downloads everything including every single tv show ever aired.

Ish
03-10-2007, 05:51 PM
I don't agree with that view. I'm not sure what the movie industry could have done. It did try movie downloads back in the 90's but it failed miserably because the technology wasn't up to scratch and people weren't prepared to pay for it. Bandwidth is still pretty slow for the vast majority of people even today.
Let people download it at a decent speed for a decent price. I'd happily pay five pound a film for older films without DRM and would buy a tonne of them on impulse. Its not rocket science. And surely its more profitable than the alternative: people downloading basically on demand from Newsgroups at whatever speed they can handle.

Instead when they have gone the download route they DRM it to hell and try and extort as much as possible. They don't seem to realise they're not competing with each other and with other stores but with FREE easily accessible downloads.

Boneheads.

Its the same with music. I use eMusic quite a bit and hardly ever (in fact I cant remember the last time I did) download pirated music but I very happily pay 23p a track from eMusic and have a 100 track a month subscription with them. MP3s. No DRM. Its convenient and quick.

Roddie
03-10-2007, 06:06 PM
No that's what I was getting at - Torrents are ****e I can't believe anyone would use them over newsgroups bar cheapskates who didn't want to pay the $10 a month :ph34r:
Cheapskates eh? Why don't you just buy everything instead of downloading it off newsgroups then?

charlesr
23-08-2009, 03:11 PM
In a bizarre turn of events, thepiratebay is now up on thepiratebay as a 21GB torrent.... Clone sites are popping up already.

ChrisF
23-08-2009, 03:19 PM
In a bizarre turn of events

Are you the guy off Dragon's Den?

charlesr
23-08-2009, 03:38 PM
You mean the one that could glide across the channel using just his ears? No, that's not me...

cutmymilk
24-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Haha I just searched and they have all the letters from film companies etc available as well. They really are the funniest criminals in file sharing history. Can't find the website files though.

charlesr
24-08-2009, 10:53 AM
This is a copy of the TPB index.
I crawled their index and since I don't have the hardware necessary to deploy it to the public, I have decided to release the database.
Remember that all torrents from TPB now have the new tracker openbittorrent.com included, so they will continue to track even after the TPB tracker shuts down.
I have included the program I made to crawl the index, and a mockup website that can read the database.
The database itself is an sqlite3 database.

The index has 873671 torrents, ranging from id 3211594 to 5051940 (2009-08-13).
I only got 873671 torrents, but according to the website the tracker tracks over 2 million torrents.
The discrepancy is most likely due to many torrent files including the TPB tracker but has not been uploaded to the web site.

All my code is in the public domain. Do whatever you want with it!
I have included a public key in case I ever want to claim credit.

Contents:
/tpb.db - The database (22 855 875 584 bytes).
/tpbspider.7z - The program I made to copy TPB.
/htdocs.7z - The mockup website.
/lighttpd.conf - Some rewrite rules you need to use the mockup website.
/pubring.key - My public key.

It reminds me of the end of "Pump of the Volume" where they shut down one pirate DJ but spawn hundreds of others....

charlesr
28-08-2009, 08:49 AM
55m downloads of Heroes rather than watching it live - although that probably equates to 2m actual people. Still that's a lot of people.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8224869.stm

Perhaps the producers should release their own hi quality torrent with adverts at the start and sponsorship links at their site next to the torrent link. It does screw up international distribution rights though.

charlesr
18-03-2011, 11:11 AM
So, piratebay is still alive and well. What was the point in all those court battles?

http://www.bsa.org/country/~/media/Files/Research%20Papers/enAU/piracyimpact_australia.ashx

Amazing research that shows that in 2010 there were 4.7m download pirates in Australia. Even though there were only 4.5 million broadband connections in Australia. :o Amazing what you can do with statistics.

Also, "the annual value of lost retail to Australian content
industries was $900 million. Over 8,000 jobs were lost in the content industries
sector as a result of internet piracy." Amazing scenes.

Charlie
18-03-2011, 11:52 AM
I use torrent sites quite a bit, not ashamed of doing so either. Being a music nut, it's mainly to see if an album I'm interested in is worth buying; if I like it I buy it and if I don't then I delete it as my hi-fi is too good for MP3s (they just sound flat and lifeless).

But I also use it download movies too, I don't like movies very much so have no problems 'stealing' them as people will see it. Probably download half a dozen a year but am lucky if I enjoy 1 of them. The movie industry could disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't miss it. I'm just selfish. I know. :happy:

cutmymilk
18-03-2011, 09:45 PM
8000 jobs wow. I love how the stats depend on everyone buying what was "stolen" for RRP though. Like most people would buy what they download anyway.

charlesr
19-03-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm sure that if they just made a guess at 10% of downloads might have been bought, it's still huge sums $90m and 800 jobs. Then they might be taken seriously.

MartyG
19-03-2011, 08:55 AM
This is the problem isn't it - the movie industry has been making massive profits for years and years despite piracy ( http://www.the-numbers.com/market/ ), so when a story like that pops-up with overly-inflated figures-of-loss, it's really hard to have any sympathy for them or believe much of what they're saying.

I rarely buy music anymore just the odd albums of bands I like (Foo Fighters, U2), not because I pirate it but because a) I've got most of what I like already and b) Spotify makes buying anything else largely pointless.

Dogg Thang
19-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Bit of a false justification there, Marty. Firstly, that the piracy might he okay because the industry is still making a profit is plain wrong. That doesn't make it okay. But, more importantly, what that misses is where it might affect the industry - like people justifying music piracy because Madonna, Simon Cowell and U2 are clearly loaded, while missing all of the low to mid-range artists getting completely shafted, and everyone else involved in the process: sound engineers, mixers, session musicians, managers, assistants, marketers, and so on going down the chain. Making entertainment is not free. People deserve to be paid. And even though big event movies are still raking in cash, a massive amount of movies are not and everyone involved in those movies is getting screwed over by people illegally taking their work.

I have no idea how they quantify it though. They have to guess somehow. But, just like with the gaming industry, it is having an effect. It wouldn't be right even if it was having no effect though. Unless they say, please steal our work, it's wrong.

MartyG
19-03-2011, 09:29 AM
I wasn't justifying downloading films ( one of my DVDs shelves (http://twitpic.com/4az583) ), I was making the point it's hard for people to believe, when stories like this pop-up, that the movie industry is losing loads of profit because of piracy when they raking it in.

Dogg Thang
19-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Those two situations are not mutually exclusive. Most people in the movie business aren't making the Avatars, unfortunately.

MartyG
19-03-2011, 09:49 AM
That may be so, but the movie industry isn't helping itself with its messaging, so it's not how its perceived.

Still at least they've stopped putting those unskipable "You wouldn't steal a car" shorts at the beginning of DVDs.

Charlie
19-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Bit of a false justification there, Marty. Firstly, that the piracy might he okay because the industry is still making a profit is plain wrong. That doesn't make it okay. But, more importantly, what that misses is where it might affect the industry - like people justifying music piracy because Madonna, Simon Cowell and U2 are clearly loaded, while missing all of the low to mid-range artists getting completely shafted, and everyone else involved in the process: sound engineers, mixers, session musicians, managers, assistants, marketers, and so on going down the chain. Making entertainment is not free. People deserve to be paid. And even though big event movies are still raking in cash, a massive amount of movies are not and everyone involved in those movies is getting screwed over by people illegally taking their work.

I have no idea how they quantify it though. They have to guess somehow. But, just like with the gaming industry, it is having an effect. It wouldn't be right even if it was having no effect though. Unless they say, please steal our work, it's wrong.

Making movies isn't free, you're right. And people do deserve to be paid, there's no denying that. But do big name stars really deserve to be paid 5, 10, 15 million a picture? I don't think so. In fact I think it's sickening that anybody should make that sort of money and refuse to support it, indeed I'd argue people ought to download more big-star Hollywood movies in an attempt to help eradicate those ludicrous figures that 'stars' command.

EDDIE M0NS00N
19-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Is it ok to download the blueys on Piratebay for free tho?

Errrrrmmmm, I mean my 'friend' is asking: "is it ok to download the blueys on Piratebay for free tho?"

:ph34r:

Charlie
19-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Masturbation is a sin.

charlesr
01-05-2012, 02:52 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/30/british-isps-block-pirate-bay?newsfeed=true

UK court hilariously orders ISPs to block piratebay, even though newsgroups are a far bigger threat to copyright in terms of unique downloads and as described in the article below is nigh on impossible too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/01/pirate-bay-copyright-crackdown?newsfeed=true

sj33
01-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Even more hillariously, they're asking ISPs to do this by simply blocking them via DNS.

So if billions of mirrors redirecting to The Pirate Bay don't get around this (remember, it's not illegal for people to access The Pirate Bay, ISPs simply have an obligation to obey the court order), then you can just take a whole 2 minutes to change your DNS (guides for which will spread around the internet like wildfire).

That is, of course, assuming that people don't just switch to another tracker. Remember Suprnova? Exactly.

The government just doesn't seem to understand the problem, and is demonstrating themselves to be incapable of acting at a fast enough pace to deal with it.

noobish hat
01-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Who uses PirateBay?

Baseley09
01-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Who uses PirateBay?

Most people I know who download on the yarr :ph34r:

kryss
01-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Not used it in years myself.

Yakumo
01-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Who uses PirateBay?
I use it all the time to get TV shows for my son such as Power Rangers Samurai and Sponge Bob Square Pants. I also use it to get TV shows for myself although most of them come from UKNova. I need my HD fixes of British TV. Just finished watching Have I got News for You (extended Ver) in HD.

I don't use torrent sites for movies unless they are out of print. I'd much rather own the real media and even then if I can't I'll watch it on HuLu or something.

charlesr
01-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Power Rangers (all types) is on Netflix (use USA dns via playmo or unlockus). I think spongebob is too.

Guts
01-05-2012, 05:37 PM
UK court hilariously orders ISPs to block piratebay, even though newsgroups are a far bigger threat to copyright in terms of unique downloads and as described in the article below is nigh on impossible too.

They also did this here in Finland. They hilariously ordered one of the big internet companies to block access to Piratebay (but not the others). It took PB maybe a day to change their stuff so you can now access it with a different address (or use proxy of course).

sj33
03-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Well what do you know, the internet has been flooded with a million different mirrors redirecting to The Pirate Bay circumventing the block, including a couple on political party sites (like to see them block those). That lasted long.

speedlolita
03-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Piratebay is rubbish but I suppose it's the principle.

charlesr
03-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Or you can use google translate or Opera's built in turbo rerouter function. :rolleyes: Totally daft.

wod
05-05-2012, 12:19 AM
does any one still use torrents when there is astraweb etc to get hold of things.

Baseley09
05-05-2012, 02:47 AM
Newsgroups cost money don't they, if people wanted to spend they would buy blurays instead of hawking piratebay.

charlesr
26-06-2012, 06:19 PM
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2012/06/measures-to-protect-online-copyright-and-inform-consumers/

3 strikes draft stuff for UK. "Initially: BT, Everything Everywhere, O2, Sky, TalkTalk Group and Virgin Media. Together these providers account for more than 93% of the retail broadband market in the UK."

Meanwhile, I had a quick look on piratebay just now. There are 20,000 sat on a presumably ****e telescreener (torrent) for The Avengers 2012.

Let's say each person sits on it for an hour and it averages that level for 15 days. That's 7,200,000 people pirating it that are so desperate to see it at home (not in the cinema), they'll endure a telescreener (a videocamera pointed at a cinema screen).

Last stats I saw were that torrents(piratebay) vs newsgroups was about 1:10, so that's 72,000,000 people. If all these people bought the DVD instead (random assumption that they won't but hey), at ?10 then that's ?720,000,000 lost from one film.

That's about half of what it has grossed so far at the cinema. Sounds like an opportunity waiting to be grabbed by the film industry, even if only 1/10 can be converted. Let's face it - you can't take 72m people to court.

Loving making up the numbers.... :D

MartyG
26-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Even 1 out of 10000 is being optimistic.

eastyy
26-06-2012, 06:25 PM
and probably triple that for cinemas lost popcorn and coca cola revenue :)

MartyG
26-06-2012, 06:32 PM
I hate going to the cinema near me. It's mucky, people kick the back of your chair and talk through the film (which I particularly hate). If studios gave the option of streaming new releases in HD at the same time as cinema releases (or even a week or so later) I'd take that option. But I'm still not sure that'd stop people many people watching the cam movies, if anything it'd probably improve the quality of the pirate copies.

charlesr
19-07-2012, 06:10 PM
This isn't even funny any more. It's the totally inevitability of it all.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18833060
It's like banning Shell garages from selling Malboro cigarettes. People soon realise there are other cigarettes in other packets right next to where Malboro used to be in the same garage. Or go to Total garage across the road who still have Malboro.

briareos_kerensky
19-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Somewhat tanget to the whole topic, but I've found this TED symphosium really interesting:

7Q25-S7jzgs

85 78 73 81 85 69
18-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Not really sure what to make of this but it raise a smile, it seems that an anti-piracy company is being sued by Pirate Bay for copying their website using some of the site's code.

http://www.mcvuk.com/cimages/2250fd0c1bb85827d3f6fb75120ba3c2.jpg

We are outraged by this behavior.

People must understand what is right and wrong. Stealing material like this on the Internet is a threat to economies worldwide. We feel that we must make a statement and therefore we will sue them for copyright infringement.
No idea what is going on or even if its genuine but it could be entertaining either way! :hmm:

Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/02/the-pirate-bay-we-will-sue-copycat-site-for-copyright-infringement/)

http://piraattilahti.fi

MartyG
19-02-2013, 09:31 AM
And speaking of The Pirate Bay, a movie has been released on a creative commons licence about the time around the court case - it's worth a look: http://watch.tpbafk.tv/

charlesr
17-05-2013, 07:44 AM
In somewhat hilarious news, the Center for Copyright Information (CCI), a "non-profit organisation" set up to send out copyright infringement notices to subscribers of 5 major ISPs (via an X-strikes model), has failed to pay its company fees and file its paperwork so has had its company status temporarily suspended.... Presumably just an honest mistake gov.

I presume pirate scum now just just different ISPs?

MartyG
17-05-2013, 08:47 AM
No, they use a VPN service and carry on as normal.