• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where To Buy A Stepdown Transformer ??

I am looking for 2 stepdown transformers for the following :-

1) Japanese Xbox
    2) Japanese PS2

Can any of you nice guys recommend where to get one from ??

Regrds

The Currys Superstores have started to carry a nice line of stepdowns (well, at least the one at Festival Park, Stoke has).

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
      The Currys Superstores have started to carry a nice line of stepdowns (well, at least the one at Festival Park, Stoke has).
      Jesus Christ!!!

Biggest shock i've had all day!

Comment

recommended size from the import faq, so you dont get the wrong size one.
        Console stepdown Power Recommendation (Watts, W, VA)
        PS2 100 Watts
        Gamecube 120 Watts
        Xbox 150 Watts
        try www.maplin.co.uk

Comment

My stepdown is rated at 100W, and yet my Japanese Gamecube works fine with it... could this be bad for the GC?

Cheers,
          --Ed

Comment

No mate look on the underneath of the GC it only uses 39Watts

Comment

My cube stepdown is only 45 watts, works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Roost
                Jesus Christ!!!

Biggest shock i've had all day!
                LOL - I couldn't believe my eyes either - they're selling at ?35-ish as well - Another World will try to sell you the same for ?80 (gotta make a profit, son!).

Cartman, if you can, try to get a 200W or 300W stepdown for your X-Box - I initially ran my US 'Box on a 150W stepdown and after a few hours you could cook crumpets on it (the stepdown that is), plus it used to cut out every now and again.

Comment

Thanks for your advice fellow forumites, will look around. Snowman, where do you end up getting your stepdown from ?

Comment

LOL - I couldn't believe my eyes either - they're selling at ?35-ish as well - Another World will try to sell you the same for ?80 (gotta make a profit, son!).
                    Geez for ?60 you can get a stepdown that would handle over 1KW of juice.

Comment

I bought a double socket one from http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk.

Comment

Originally posted by cartman
                        Thanks for your advice fellow forumites, will look around. Snowman, where do you end up getting your stepdown from ?
                        ..erm.. do you mean me..?

If you have a look at the site that Killy provided a link to, and look at the UK to USA transformers, they're identical to the one I bought. I got a 300W stepdown, with 2 sockets for ?40 from Maplins in Stoke. These are also the same transformers that I've seen in the Currys Superstore at Festival Park, Stoke, tho' I didn't check out what their power output was.

Check out your local Currys Superstore, or buy one from the link that Killy recommended, but get a 300W one as they hardly get warm even after hours of play.

Comment

good link that killy

what does 300va, mean is that like 300watt ?

Comment

Originally posted by wod
                            good link that killy

what does 300va, mean is that like 300watt ?

..basically, "yes"

Comment

Watts (W) = Voltage (V) x Amps (A)

So a Gamecube PSU is 12V at 3.75A so 12x3.75=45 Watts (+/- 10%)

Comment

Working...
                              X