Oink shut down by the IFPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oink shut down by the IFPI

Only really of interest to people who've either used it, use it or have heard of it from a mate. The news article says it's P2P, I believe it was a torrent site.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

British and Dutch police have shut down a "widely-used" source of illegally-downloaded music.

A flat on Teesside and several properties in Amsterdam were raided as part of an Interpol investigation into the members-only website OiNK.

The UK-run site has leaked 60 major pre-release albums this year alone, said the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI).

A 24-year-old man from Middlesbrough was arrested on Tuesday morning.
    Read more on the link above.

It's hardly a suprise, but news nonetheless.

I tried to download 'babe, pig in the city' once.

Comment

That's a real shame. I loved that comic. Still have the free record somewhere.

Comment

Uncle Pig was the best!

Comment

Members only? So I assume that the police now have a wonderful list of people who've been illegally downloading music? Fun times ahead for them.

Comment

Apparently there were 800,000 members or something? That's insane!

Comment

id love to talk some more about oink. maybe we should star another thread.

"dont eat pigs cause their made from ham, eat that nasty butcher man!"

Comment

I liked the site and even donated to it. Oh noes..

What's funny is the outburst of all the keyboard warriors (e.g. on digg.com) that feel they have been unfairly wronged by having the site taken away from them.

My attitude is: Fair enough! It was good while it lasted.

Comment

Look! Oink scans - http://www.notbbc.34sp.com/

Comment

TVLinks.co.uk was also shut down by the popo last week, and the owner also from the UK, arrested.

Comment

I reckon it got shut down because of its evil seeding ratio requirements. ev1L, I say!

Comment

Originally posted by wush View Post
                        I liked the site and even donated to it. Oh noes..

What's funny is the outburst of all the keyboard warriors (e.g. on digg.com) that feel they have been unfairly wronged by having the site taken away from them.

My attitude is: Fair enough! It was good while it lasted.
                        Indeed, live and let live, but it wasn't legal so how can anyone complain?

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
                          Apparently there were 800,000 members or something? That's insane!
                          There were 180,000 members. The BBC reports have been hugely misleading from what I've seen so far. You did not have to pay to get into the site, you just had to get an existing member (who had met certain requirements) to invite you, and the admin certainly weren't making money off the site, if anything, it was costing them money, they relied on donations to cover most of the server costs.

And as for 'evil seeding requirements', it's called give and take and ratios are the main reason private trackers are better than public ones.

Comment

OiNK was particularly crap for it, though. You really had to upload your own torrents to get anywhere. You couldn't just seed stuff you'd DLed.

Comment

Not true. I might have uploaded 2 of my own torrents this year and I was easily able to max out my upload 24/7 just by seeding torrents I'd downloaded and left open.

Comment

Working...
                              X