Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit Card Fraud or "Yay! All my money has been stolen".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card Fraud or "Yay! All my money has been stolen".

Woke up this morning to a message on my answerphone to call my credit card fraud protection team. Turns out I'm the latest (first time) victim - which isn't nice.

About ?1000 of stuff, some in the US, mostly from catalogues apparently, including Victoria's Secrets had been added to my account.

For very good reasons there's absolutely no possibility of anybody else getting my details except at those stores where I've used that card. Unfortunately, for the fraudster, I've only ever used it for low value purchases at few different places since the start of the year and half of them are regular local 'high-street' ones. This is probably why the fraud was immediately spotted.

How it was done I can only guess because I'm paranoid about letting the card out of my sight. In the 'high-street transactions the card goes straight into the counter keypad/reader. If it was scimmed it must have been done Paul Daniel's fast. Anybody reading it over my shoulder must have had phenomenal eyesight and luck because I try to position myself to prevent just that sort of thing happening.

Online, obviously, I never use a site that isn't marked as secure.

What pisses me off is that I specifically take care when using my cards and I still get done. My brother was a victim too only last month and he is equally careful.

Anyone else been hit like this?
    Last edited by fallenangle; 29-04-2007, 14:41.

Yep.

Comment

Yep. Due to postmen stealing mail.

Someone had tried to buy a PC costing over £1000 online. I got a call and a secure mail from Egg telling me their to contact their fraud team. It never cost me a penny but I had to get a new card.

The same people tried to do the same on one my my parents cards at the same time. Since their house is my billing address its the only link. I'd had some statements and stuff 'not arive' and so had they. We shred all documents before they leave the house so the postmen are the only link.

I worked for Natwest, the amount of our bankmail that just 'went missing' was shocking.

Comment

Someone tried to make a ?800 purchase from John Lewis using my card a few months back, HSBC phoned me to confirm weather or not it was me making the purchase which i found rather impressive good service.

I was bloody pissed off about getting done like that tho and it also made me rather paranoid as we have no idea how they got my details.

Comment

My moneys on your postman.

Comment

I doubt that's the case with me - I haven't had any new cards/PINS since 2004.

It may be more likely to be a local skimmer - although I'd be really surprised by that by. I, honestly, watch my card like a hawk whenever I use it in the high street.

Of course, it's not neccessarily the case but when something like this happens you do suspect more any new places you've used the card in recent weeks. For me that can only be 3 sites all online and all, supposedly, https// secure or better.

I know that this less likely due to the technical aspects required. However, the, apparently, all US nature of the goods acquired does suggest an international element in this fraud. If that is correct, I hate to say it, there is one stand out candidate.
            Last edited by fallenangle; 30-04-2007, 09:59.

Comment

I was got back in... hmm... it was so long ago I can't remember exactly when it was! I think it was sometime in about 2000/2001. I got a call from HSBC as someone had withdrawn ?300 per day from my credit card at three different petrol stations. Seeing as I hadn't withdrawn the money and I still had the card in my wallet, foul play was suspected

Luckily it didn't cost me anything though, they cancelled the card, sent me a new one, and refunded the money. Some bastard must have made a duplicate of my card! Thankfully nothing like that has happened since, and the only time the card fraud people phone me up is to check that my excessive video game import purchases are legit

Comment

You can add me to the club as well now. I got a letter from my bank today saying to call the fraud team. They ran through my recent card transactions and asked about a couple of specific ones which were obviously fake. One was for over ?1K and one was over ?300, both with electronics firms. Fortunately they had declined the transactions so I didn't lose any money.

I'm really baffled as to how they got my details since I only use it to go to the cash machine and buy things online from a few select sites. The only way I can think of is that someone working for one of the sites I use passed my details on to someone else or tried to use them. Either way there seems to be a lot of this about these days.

Originally posted by HumanEnergy View Post
                I got a call from HSBC as someone had withdrawn ?300 per day from my credit card at three different petrol stations... Some bastard must have made a duplicate of my card!
                Petrol stations are the worst places for card skimming. Apparently the Tamil rebels from Sri Lanka have a well-established credit card fraud ring in the UK mainly operating out of petrol stations. And all the stolen money goes to funding paramilitary resistance

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                  Petrol stations are the worst places for card skimming. Apparently the Tamil rebels from Sri Lanka have a well-established credit card fraud ring in the UK mainly operating out of petrol stations. And all the stolen money goes to funding paramilitary resistance
                  Ah bugger, if only I'd known my money was going to a good cause I might have told HSBC it was legit

Comment

This happened to me a few months ago. I had two Egg cards, one Visa and one Mastercard. I never really bothered using the Mastercard until I got a PS3 and could use it to buy stuff from the American PS store.

Unfortunately I also tried entering the same card details on the HK store. It was declined, but within a few hours someone had used my cc details to book a hotel room in Thailand

Egg called me and got it all sorted, but it's still bloody annoying.

Comment

I've been done twice in about 5 months or so, both with a Visa debit card. The first was done by someone hacking a website (shopneo.co.uk) as I received a letter from them warning me to check my card transactions as they had been hacked. It took *ages* to get the money back from my bank-I was actually even wondering if they would refund it, as I thought only credit cards offer such protection. The police were quite helpful actually and found the person, though it required a bit of investigation work-i.e. lucky a dodgy transaction on a betting website led to that site being listed on my card statement, so I contacted them, provided full details and they provided the name/address of the person that did it.

I've just got done again with the same account, new card which I haven't even had that long, around £700 this time as opposed to the £300 before. I got really worried as I didn't realise how it was done this time-a bit of investigation work again, and it turns out the guy used my full name/address and even phone number, but it's the address I moved away from a month ago. So cue me checking all my credit reports for dodgy transactions etc, thankfully it seems I'm OK, it must have been from the Internet again. The bank wrote to me today about it to phone the Financial Crime Operations dept and they said they'd write it all off and refund me within 2 weeks. If I only I had that number before!

Comment

Originally posted by Weinberg View Post
                        I've been done twice in about 5 months or so, both with a Visa debit card. The first was done by someone hacking a website (shopneo.co.uk) as I received a letter from them warning me to check my card transactions as they had been hacked.
                        I've heard about that incident from my research online. Let's just say the finger of my suspicion isn't a million miles away from a similar online retailer... Needless to say I won't be using my new card with that site.

Comment

That's what I thought when I first saw the address. They also went down for no apparent reason a few weeks ago. I made a thread about it in Ask the Forum.

Comment

I've been hit this month Posted this http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showpost.p...41&postcount=7 in spatials thread, without knowing at the time my card was being used by some random fecker in Canada.

Had a call from Barclays on Sunday with a suspicion of fraud, I was quite blas? about it as I get the calls quite often, but when they started reeling the transactions off it quickly became clear something was up. The card seems to of been used mainly for small transactions in Canada and the States - Livedeal inc. Bongo.net the Houston Cronicle, all with transactions of between ?5 and ?25. One larger transaction seems to not fit in with the others though at Pstars Pstars of over ?300 which has no currency exchange and therefore presume is not in the States, I can imagine what it is though LOL.

Card has been stopped and a new one issued. Been racking my brain ever since to try and figure out where it could of been done over. The card never leaves my possession and the pin is never shared or written down so that rules that out. My online activity has been quite static for a couple of years now, with the exception of changing where I shop for games now, like several others have. Don't like to point the finger though, so I guess I'll just wait and see what if anything the investigation turns up. Just hoping in the mean time that BC refund everything in full !

Comment

The struggle continues today as I popped into my bank to have a 'little chat' with them about the card fraud. I asked to see a list of my transactions going back to my last statement, and found some dodgy purchases with Easyjet made only yesterday - the day my card was supposedly cancelled They didn't get picked up like the last ones because they were only for £20-odd each, which TBH even I probably wouldn't have noticed until a statement came through. They've started the ball rolling and I've got to wait for some forms to arrive so I can get a refund on them.

I've just about had it with this now so I've taken a few extra precautions whilst I was there, like cancelling the debit facility on my account all together and getting an ATM-only card as a replacement. I've also signed up for a bog-standard credit card so that I can use that for my online transactions, and at least then any fraud will be a step removed from my actual cash. They also give free online fraud protection with the card so that's quite reassuring.

Comment

Working...
                              X