This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Job - with some attachments

thought i would post some pictures showing where i work and live for the most part of the year

these photographs were taken a couple of weeks ago when 3 ships of the 3rd Mine Countermeasures Squadron went to sea and completed a squadex

this involved loads of whole ship evolutions (fires, floods) as well as communication exercises which i was in charge of

some photos of our recent visit to Cardiff and the skull and cross bones is a replenishment flag - dont worry teh pirates arnt around the UK shores

next visit is Swansea after we take part in T200 off the coast of portsmouth
    Last edited by buster_broon; 08-06-2005, 20:40.

Comment

2nd post in this thread - sorry

recently it was Coronation day and this is how we salute the queen

this will be happening to all navy vessels alongside in harbour this Friday and Saturday since its Philips Birthday/Queens Official birthday

the ships are called Hms Brecon and Hms Cottesmore, i'm the comms department boss onboard Hms Brecon, which is the ship inboard

have fun!!!!

Comment

Don't know how you do it Buster, I have read and the watched the film version of Cruel Sea. Terrified the life out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoraths mullet
          Don't know how you do it Buster, I have read and the watched the film version of Cruel Sea. Terrified the life out of me.
          it can get pretty nasty in a heavy swell and i do suffer from sea sickness after a point

but small ships like minesweepers will always seek some shelter if it gets bad

the big ships like destroyers/frigates will stay out in all seas

never actually experienced a force 12, but i've been in a severe 11 and it was awful - waves were crashing over the bridge and we nearly lost the lynx helicopter
          Last edited by buster_broon; 08-06-2005, 21:34.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon
            waves were crashing over the bridge and we nearly lost the lynx helicopter

Comment

Thank **** it's Friday. I'm off to drink some Magners.

Comment

Buster - so you have Internet access on board ship?

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG
                  Buster - so you have Internet access on board ship?
                  limited access - its all governed by MOD servers, hates alot of places including all email sites and sites with secure servers - something to do with cross communication between websites or something

i do have access to this website if i wanted when we are at sea, but since i run the account its not worth it

we have a 56k civilian satellite connection by NERA and it costs over ?5 a minute to use it, so we only download emails once a day

its an okay price as it used to cost over ?10 a minute

if 1 of my boys has to download alot of emails i let him surf until the download is complete then he has to disconnect

when we are alongside a port we use the normal naval telephone network or bt, but access is still limited to what the navy servers allow us to visit

Comment

Right - I just thought it was surprising that a military ship had open Internet access whilst on patrol. That's pretty cool though - even if there's limited access, there are easy ways around blocks on sites, it just surprises me that access is available at all.
                    Last edited by MartyG; 10-06-2005, 17:27.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG
                      Right - I just thought it was surprising that a military ship had open Internet access whilst on patrol. That's pretty cool though.
                      i've been on minesweepers for the last 12 years, so i've never had a big ship since the internet took off, but from what i believe the larger ships like destroyers and aircraft carriers (thru deck cruisers) actually have internet cafes thru the ships navystar system

small ships dont have navystar - we have the poor navylink system

Comment

I find out if I get a job at RBOS tommrow

wish me luck

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Various pwnage compilation vid

Some of these people are idiots. Some are very unlucky

@ the cat in the tree. Poor thing was probably fine up there in the first place

Comment

Videos

Look how lucky this guy is, the car must miss by a matter of inches.

How to pull the ladies!
                              Last edited by SwooseGoose; 14-06-2005, 12:25.

Comment

good dodging skills.

Comment

Working...
                                X