Asian mega drive video problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asian mega drive video problem

I took delivery of an asian mega drive this morning and it has a video problem

A line a bit like distortion appears on the bottom of the screen sometimes when the action gets a bit frantic.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Anyone any ideas what its is or how to fix it. Like I said I only got this today so it could go back if its knackered.

What do you guys think?

Is it happening with every game?

Comment

Yes and with 2 different cables one compo****e one RGB

Comment

One of mine done that I remember. It happens off screen were the black boarders would be. I think my other one I had didn't do it though.

I'm pretty sure if you put it to 60 Hertz with a switch it wouldn't be seen anymore if it can't be fixed any other way.

It's all very vague I'm gona have to test the asian one I still have now on 50 H to see if it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilotwings View Post
          One of mine done that I remember. It happens off screen were the black boarders would be. I think my other one I had didn't do it though.

I'm pretty sure if you put it to 60 Hertz with a switch it wouldn't be seen anymore if it can't be fixed any other way.

It's all very vague I'm gona have to test the asian one I still have now on 50 H to see if it happens.
          Cheers mate let me know

Comment

My switch-modded UK machine does this sometimes but not that badly, I only get it in the bottom left corner sometimes. I always thought it was something I'd damaged accidentally during the modding process.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
              My switch-modded UK machine does this sometimes but not that badly, I only get it in the bottom left corner sometimes. I always thought it was something I'd damaged accidentally during the modding process.
              It seems to be mostly concentrated to the left hand corner but sometimes( for example on splatter house 2s second level) it goes across the entire bottom of the screen.

It seems to be when the system is imitating lightning.

TBH after giving the system more of a go tonight its not that noticeable but if it could be remedied by a 50/60hz switch I would do that rather than put up with it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've seen that issue with every MD system I've had either for myself, or to be modded and sold on and am certan it's just a PAL issue.

A simple 60Hz mod should solve the issue.

BTW that a 21" Wega? Looks like the one I used to have years ago and it was a great set. One of the best 4:3 ones for gaming.

Comment

Welcome to the land of Mega Drive noobs

Guys, ALL Mega Drives do this. It's just the way they deal with the video. You probably just never noticed it before now but believe me, you're Mega Drive is NOT broken.

Yakumo

Comment

It depends how the 'overscan' is set on your tv.
                    If the bottom of the screen is set too high you can see the area that is usually off screen where the MD 'resets all the screen info/****'. Always had it from day one on my 1st import J-MD, when they 1st came out, just learned to ignore it.
                    The thing that pissed me off was why the screen was always a cm too far over the left ? On every console.

Comment

Originally posted by Superfamifreak View Post

BTW that a 21" Wega? Looks like the one I used to have years ago and it was a great set. One of the best 4:3 ones for gaming.
                      Yep thats the one I got it soley for my retro gaming set up.

Best ?9.99 I have ever spent.

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                      Welcome to the land of Mega Drive noobs

Guys, ALL Mega Drives do this. It's just the way they deal with the video. You probably just never noticed it before now but believe me, you're Mega Drive is NOT broken.

Yakumo
                      Cheers buddy that puts my mind at rest

Originally posted by gamerade View Post
                      The thing that pissed me off was why the screen was always a cm too far over the left ? On every console.
                      I noticed that to but luckily I can change that in the menu on the tv and now it fits perfectly.

Thanks for all the help eveyone

Comment

Originally posted by gamerade View Post
                        Yep, that annoys me as well. Especially when I'm playing something like Shattered Soldier where they use some kind of colour-rotating trick to create flashing backgrounds, as the overscan area on the right always shows the same colour. I can almost feel the epilepsy starting to develop

Comment

Originally posted by johnno15 View Post
                          Yep thats the one I got it soley for my retro gaming set up.

Best ?9.99 I have ever spent.
                          Tried a Neo on it through RGB yet? Looks LUSH AS F**K

Comment

The lines at the bottom of the screen on a Megadrive occur when using an RGB SCART cable, it's just something to do with the machine code, not any kind of fault..

Comment

Originally posted by johnno15 View Post
                              Yes and with 2 different cables one compo****e one RGB
                              Originally posted by chaoticjelly View Post
                              The lines at the bottom of the screen on a Megadrive occur when using an RGB SCART cable, it's just something to do with the machine code, not any kind of fault..
                              Thanks Ive now seen its no fault on the system but its not just RGB I also have a composite connection and its the same with thatas Yakumo said earlier its just a mega drive trait.

Comment

Working...
                              X