Generation Kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generation Kill

Generation Kill is the latest big-budget HBO mini-series, a true story that follows the First Recon Battalion through the first 40 days of the Iraq war.

There is nothing particularly original here but it is very, very well made. I've only seen two episodes and so far and while it doesn't have the intensity of Band of Brothers, it is highly enjoyable and gripping in its own individual way.

The acting is excellent across the board and the script is constantly brilliant, and despite introducing a large number of characters in the opening episode it does a very good job in making you like them in a very short time.

If you enjoyed Band of Brothers (who didn't?) then I highly recommend checking this out - and you know it's going to be great because the writers are Ed Burns and David Simon - the team behind The Wire

Having watched a couple of episodes would you say that trailer is a good indication of what the show is like? I think I've seen enough of young dumb Americans goofing around in Iraq with big guns...

Comment

It's very much like that - frathouse guys making lots of comments about fags and calling each other "bra". It doesn't have the strong narrative of something like Band of Brothers or Over There or particularly strong characterisation. It's more kinda stock types (cowardly lieutenant, stupid commanders, homophobic rednecks, smart alec nutter).

That said, it's been enjoyable so far. Obviously kinda like Jarhead.

Comment

Yeah Jarhead is about right, though GK is of higher quality so far.

Comment

I've watched the first 2 eps of this on FX and really enjoying it, way more than Jarhead which I thought was utter crap.

I like the way its not a gung-ho superhero army soldiers but an attempt at a realistic portrayal of the tedium and stupidity of war and the military.

For a tv prog the production values are amazing, actually for a film they would be too, I've not seen one shot yet that looks silly and bearing in mind the scale of some scenes this is pretty damn impressive.

Can't say there is any smiliarities to recommend it to people who love the Wire as this is a totally differnet beast, but its hgih quality and thoughtful tv.

Comment

I've been watching this and it lacks action, I would suggest. But maybe that's not its purpose.

Comment

I'm sure that's its purpose, to show you the boredom of war punctuated with chaos.

Its also pretty unflattering on the attitudes of the US troops

The message comes across better for me with the space of a tv series over several hours.

Comment

glad I watched this after the drivel Battlestar has become as its a breathe of fresh air in comparison

whilst I can't put it up there with the Wire this has been a brilliant mini-series, I love the way that David Chase presents fiction as almost documentary, this just feels so authentic.

the attention to detail puts some movies to shame and the whole thing looks and sounds stunning in HD

only one episode to go with the liberators arriving in Bahgdad

Comment

I watched this a couple of weeks back. Some quality stuff and you can quite believe the incompetance of the US Army. Loved Captain America

Comment

Can't say I was too excited about the subject matter but any show with credentials like these demands a look. Initially it felt a little too chaotic but then you realise that reality is where it's coming from (didn't initially know that Evan Wright was a real journalist and this is adapted from his own book of experiences with the US Marines in Iraq) and reality simply happens. It's the most cliched thing to say ever but I've genuinely never seen anything like it, and I was gutted when it finished (the 7 eps go by way too fast).

It's very rare i give TV shows repeat viewings (unless it's comedy) but alreay I'm itching to watch this again.

Amazing piece of TV.

Comment

Yeah but Band of Brothers is better, though. What amazed me was the lack of discipline on display.

Bingo83,

The marines are not part of the army!

Comment

just finished watching Generation Kill and, wow!, i wish there was more of it. it's different from Band of Brothers but definitely a must see for fans. i am thinking of getting the book as well. someone already read it?

Comment

I just finished watching this series - great great show. Really enjoyed it. I'm in the same boat as Uli as I am keen to read the book.

Comment

Working...
                          X