Asian Megadrive 2 Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asian Megadrive 2 Mods

Just bought one of these i stumbled across on ebay newly listed this morning, obviously ive not had chance to try it yet but im pretty sure it will be one of the Asian Pal 50hz models, does anyone on here do 60hz mods and how much please?

Also rather than using a stepdown im pretty sure i can use a pal psu, does just a standard pal md2 psu work??

Many thanks

James

Ask Chaoticjelly, and yes a regular UK power supply will work fine

Comment

If you can't reach him here, try his website: http://www.chaoticjellygames.co.uk/

Congrats on picking up a nice Asian MD2 - they are teh sex.

Comment

Originally posted by losersclub View Post
        Also rather than using a stepdown im pretty sure i can use a pal psu, does just a standard pal md2 psu work??
        You can in theory just run it using a travel adaptor as they use 220v in Hong Kong (the rating plate on the adaptor will confirm this). A UK PSU is still a better option, I think the Asian model uses around 10v and the PAL one uses 9v, but it should run fine.

Comment

Visit the games page at mmmonkey.co.uk

He has mod guides with helpful photos for just about everything you can imagine. I've used the MD 50/60hz + language mod myself on a PAL machine and it's a piece of piss. All you need to do is solder in a few pieces of wire to some empty points on the board and you're done!

Comment

^ It's a little bit more complicated on an MD2, but still worth considering if you have a soldering iron and other parts.

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
              ^ It's a little bit more complicated on an MD2, but still worth considering if you have a soldering iron and other parts.
              I dunno mate, I used the same guide to mod my Multi-Mega and that wasn't too difficult and I'm sh*te with a soldering iron. An MD2 can't be more difficult, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by mmmonkey
                A Megadrive 2 is a little bit more difficult to add 50/60Hz and Jap/Eng switches than a Megadrive 1. It involves finer work, lifting a leg from a chip, as well as cutting a smaller trace on the motherboard.
                On the MD1, all you need to do is solder six empty points on the PCB, but with the MD2 it involves working with the legs of a chip.

I took it from Matty's post that he was talking about the MD1.

Comment

Bleedin' 'eck! The Multi-Mega was much easier to mod!!

Comment

I'll be modding my PAL Multi Mega this weekend for 60htz and region mod. Samanosuke, what guide did you use when modding yours?

Yakumo

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, no soldering equipment or expertise so ill be giving Chaoticjelly a buzz when i get the machine

Comment

Working...
                      X