Ikaruga - Discussion October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ikaruga - Discussion October

The hype surrounding Ikaruga mainly stemmed from it being a vague sequel to Radiant Silvergun. RS was a good game that not many people could afford, which turned it into the best game evar (Tm). So when Ikaruga came along, there was a lot of curiosity, with everyone keen to sample it.

Its two colour invincibility hook along with the constant need to chain for high scores turns it almost from a shooter into a puzzler, although to keep the chains going, it forces the player down an almost linear path.

Whether this makes for a good game or not is debatable.

Graphically, it's accomplished but lacks vibrancy due to the 2 colour nature of the game, but certainly the weaponry looks very cool.

I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like going back to it.

For me the complete package is an experience.

The audio - especially the lvl 1 music - really gets the pulse racing.

I for one like the linearity of the design, there is scope within the path to use different tactics - you can chose to kill some enemies with "their" colour weapon to harvest their energy or you can use the "opposite" to swuash them quickly and move on.

I think that this adds another level of depth that I didn't appreciate when I was playing it for the first time - you do get (a small amount) of points for energy harvesting but using the bomb at the right moment is an important part of chaining properly too so maybe I am actually wrong...

Maybe the path is linear but deep - you can invest as much or as little in the game as you want. As a test of memory, precision, speed and skill it is basically untouched for me. Sure you can kill a boss by hanging back at the bottom of the screen BUT if you get right up in his face you'll kill him even quicker.

You could just absorb the lasers in lvl 3 intro but you can do it - send out a bomb and continue your chain in a way you'd never be able to manage. A lot of thought has gone into creating the optimum path through the game and the joy for me is discovering it and perfecting it.

Very pleased this came up again as a Re;play because it made me buy it on XBLA. Glad I did already! Lets get that score table running. Add me (ItsThere) for some competition!

Comment

i remember all the hype about this game being called Ikaruga: Radiant silvergun 2

Over on the Neo forums there was one guy (think his name was Casey) who actually bought 150 of them from play-asia for the original retail price thinking that it would eventually cost the same as Radiant silvergun

He even posted pictures of invoices totalling many thousands of dollars and proud as punch of the 'killing' he was about to make

couple of months later he was selling them off a bit at a time for less than retail

its the first time i actually felt sorry for somebody on the internet, his intentions were purely selfish and that i dont agree with, but to try and play the market in a way and completely loose must be devastating

Comment

I always liked Ikaruga but never got really into it, only playing at a fairly basic level, rarely exploring its many depths.

I hadn't played it in ages (I sold all my dreamcast stuff off earlier this year) but now I have the XBLA version I have a new found passion for it. The one credit/ranking set-up has forced me to re-focus and take it more seriously (play it properly ).

Really enjoyable game, though I doubt I'll ever be anything more than average at it.

Comment

I got this on Xbox live recently and its still one of my favorites shmups.

I think Ikaruga works so well becuase it takes the two best things about scrolling shooters and implements them both really well. The only way to ever relaly do well at the game is to memorize the level layouts and enemy placements, yet the fact that enemies drop bullets when you shoot them, the constant need to swap coulour, and the possiblity of being forced down your less than prefered on screen route leads to a frantic and not always entirley scripted feel to the game (though obviously it is scripted). I think it deliveres a very balanced mix of the more memory orientated and thoughtful shooters such as R-Type, with elements of shooters that require ninja reflexes such as Donpachi and its sequels.

Basiclay I think its a bit good.
          Last edited by rmoxon; 01-10-2008, 11:55.

Comment

I must confess this game has never clicked with me. I was all excited by the reviews and my friends talking about it, so I purchased it on the Gamecube about 4 years ago.

The first time I put it on I was distinctly underwhelmed. I don't like the puzzle elements to it and and the game has never felt special in the slightest.

Every so often I try it again, hoping that I will see some of the 'magic' that is so often talked about, but I never do.

Comment

Do you like other shooters? If so, which ones.

And ItsThere, yeah the music on L1 is tip top.

Comment

In general I love shooters, but I fear maybe my taste is old fashioned by some of you guys standards. Here is a wee list of some of my faves:

Area 88
                R-type (1, and final)
                Graduis (1 and 5)
                Parodius
                Image Fight
                Super Aleste

There are others but those are the ones that spring to mind

Comment

I never liked shoot em ups until i played Radiant Silvergun at a gaming friends, i even avoided them as i naively assumed they were all the same as the ones i'd played in the late 80's and not enjoyed, but that game opened my eyes to what modern shooters are like (especially the music, artwork etc)

This turned me into a big treasure fan, even tho i soon realised that the gameplay of RS wasn't really as good as alot more of the traditional shooters i played after (soukyurentai for example) but i was still very excited for the realise of Ikaruga on the DC and i have to say i was not disappointed whatsoever, i love every single aspect of it - i've bought the bloody thing on every format its been out on and i hold it as one of my favourite games ever.

Plus i think as this type of game goes it's quite accessible, i've introduced a couple of people to it who wouldnt have looked at the genre previously and they all love it!

All in all great game - although i;m definitely rubbish at it something which was clarified by downloading the replay data of some of the XBL top scorers!

Comment

I've just had a quick go for the first time in ages and ages. Since I could never get the chaining sorted, this time I'm just going to go for survival

With chaining out the window, it's a whole load easier. I'm just concentrating on switching colour at the right moments and I'm not worrying about zapping the bosses in super quick time for high scores either - just being in the right colour to live a little longer.

I reckon I'll enjoy it a lot more playing it like this.

Comment

Charles - you might find that once you learn the level layout and get good at surviving you start going for chains as a natural part of the progression!

I think thats a good way to go about it actually.

Comment

I can chain the first level well enough, thats about it, I can survive the first two levels pretty easily if I dont chain, but the game is just so hard from level three onwards I doubt i'll ever reall;y come close to being very good at this.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                          I'm not worrying about zapping the bosses in super quick time for high scores either - just being in the right colour to live a little longer.
                          You might find that is is easier to kill the bosses super quick with good tactics. Usually can avoid alot of the attacks this way. Less time to die aswell.

Comment

Yeah, maybe you are right. I remember polishing of the first boss without much trouble most times.

My VGA box (DC) is being weird, and it took me a while to find my scart lead, so not played over the weekend. How's everyone else getting on?

Comment

Had a party and needed to cook a Birthday meal for my Dad on the weekend so no time to play

I intend to get some time in during the week - work and gym permitting!

Comment

Working...
                              X