Tyson - Film Doc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyson - Film Doc

Went along to see this last night at the London Film Festival and was floored by it. Like most people I'd casually followed Tysons ups and downs as reported in the media, but this documentary gives you a unique inside view of his life spoken only in his words.

Made by director James Toback, Tyson tracks the boxer's career from his days as a teenage thief and drug dealer in Brooklyn to undisputed champion, and his dramatic fall from grace to incarceration for rape.

Some really great moments and very funny lines from the big man, after 90 minutes in his company my initial preconceptions had been totally washed away and replaced by a new understanding of who this icon figure really is. Also having him descibe his thoughts and feelings during a fight over footage worked incredibly well and put the whole 'ear biting' drama into a very different light.

If you like boxing I can't recommend this enough, if you dont its worth going along just to see a very beautifully and lovingly crafted documentary.

Great Q&A with the director afterwards too, somebody should make a doc about his life >_<

Not heard of this before. It's always interesting to see a doc on a man who you only know through distorted media reporting. When you get to actually see the man, it's often fascinating and insightful, giving you a new perspective.

I've always liked Tyson. I don't know much about him, obviously troubled and vilified, no doubt has made some bad decisions in his time; thanks for letting us know about the doc!

Any national release date?

Comment

I followed his career from his very early days, before it became the car wreck that it did, so I'll be looking out for this. I trust there is a fair amount of time spent on his time with Cus D'Amato. Is it getting a national release?

Comment

The first third is all about his time with Cus, its a very emotional part of the film. Hope it does get a national release, but more than likely it will be a straight to DVD/Film4 type affair...as Gonzo will probably end up too.

Comment

This is out to buy on dvd & Blu-Ray on Monday. Been looking forward to seeing it for months, and was going to try and find a cinema showing it this month but reckon I'll just buy it now.

Comment

Saw a trailer for this the other night thought it was just coming to the cinema not DVD, looks really good cant wait to see it.

Comment

Spags - is there anything about his legendary appearance on that Canibus tune?

"Eat...eat...eat emthees for lunch...breakfathst...dinner"

Comment

Yeah, he breaks down at one point saying that meeting Wyclef Jean was a real turning point in his life and from that day forward he only ate emthees.

Comment

LAWL.

In seriousness though I would like to get a hold of this. I have an old VHS tape which has all of Tyson's KO's on it, breathtaking. At his peak he was like a pitbull, pure brutality. Couldn't see any of the current pathetic heavyweight division living with Iron Mike in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Seany View Post
                    At his peak he was like a pitbull, pure brutality. Couldn't see any of the current pathetic heavyweight division living with Iron Mike in his prime.
                    Agreed.

For all of his many, MANY flaws as a person, he should've been a true all-time boxing great. He had everything - power, speed, a truly IRON jaw...the list goes on. His achievement of being the youngest ever Heavyweight World Champion will surely never be beaten now...a teenager would have to win it!!

I would honestly go as far to say that Tyson in his 1980s prime would stop, if not knock out, Muhammad Ali at his best.

Comment

I've watched so much Tyson footage on youtube. I was around to understand stuff when he was in his prime. When he lost what was his final fight to some journeyman and gave his interview, I cried my eyes out..it was an end of an era. Can't wait to watch this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                        Agreed.

For all of his many, MANY flaws as a person, he should've been a true all-time boxing great. He had everything - power, speed, a truly IRON jaw...the list goes on. His achievement of being the youngest ever Heavyweight World Champion will surely never be beaten now...a teenager would have to win it!!

I would honestly go as far to say that Tyson in his 1980s prime would stop, if not knock out, Muhammad Ali at his best.
                        I don't know if i'd go as far as to say he would beat Ali, I always thought Tyson could have been great but he never fought the top guys while in his prime so its hard to know how he'd have fared, I always thought prime Holyfield would have handled him anytime, it was a shame that fight got scrapped the first time round.

Looking forward to watching this though.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewl View Post
                          I don't know if i'd go as far as to say he would beat Ali, I always thought Tyson could have been great but he never fought the top guys while in his prime so its hard to know how he'd have fared, I always thought prime Holyfield would have handled him anytime, it was a shame that fight got scrapped the first time round.
                          Admittedly, it might be going far to say that a prime Tyson beats a prime Ali hands down, but Tyson was unquestionably the more powerful puncher of the two and at his best probably edged Ali in terms of taking punches (Ali was no glass jaw, admittedly). Also, he could've probably given Ali a considerable run for his money in terms of speed, although Ali would probably edge that, to be fair. My money would still be on Tyson, though.

It's also a tad bit unfair to say that Tyson didn't fight the best around - he did unify the Heavyweight division and go three years and 13 defences (don't quote me on that - see Boxrec - but it's something like that) undefeated. Holyfield back then was a blown-up Cruiserweight (the David Haye of the day, perhaps?) and would've been seriously out of his depth had he met Tyson back then. BTW - Tyson-Holyfield in the early 1990s didn't happen ONLY because of that infamous night against James "Buster" Douglas in Tokyo back in 1990 - a fight that a fit and fully focused Tyson would have absolutely cake-walked (he was barely at 50&#37; and he still floored Douglas first, ffs!!) had it not been for the fact that his life outside of the ring was already unravelling at lightspeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                            Admittedly, it might be going far to say that a prime Tyson beats a prime Ali hands down, but Tyson was unquestionably the more powerful puncher of the two and at his best probably edged Ali in terms of taking punches (Ali was no glass jaw, admittedly). Also, he could've probably given Ali a considerable run for his money in terms of speed, although Ali would probably edge that, to be fair. My money would still be on Tyson, though.

It's also a tad bit unfair to say that Tyson didn't fight the best around - he did unify the Heavyweight division and go three years and 13 defences (don't quote me on that - see Boxrec - but it's something like that) undefeated. Holyfield back then was a blown-up Cruiserweight (the David Haye of the day, perhaps?) and would've been seriously out of his depth had he met Tyson back then. BTW - Tyson-Holyfield in the early 1990s didn't happen ONLY because of that infamous night against James "Buster" Douglas in Tokyo back in 1990 - a fight that a fit and fully focused Tyson would have absolutely cake-walked (he was barely at 50% and he still floored Douglas first, ffs!!) had it not been for the fact that his life outside of the ring was already unravelling at lightspeed.
                            I agree with most of what you say and honestly Tyson would have been a tough opponent for any heavyweight there has been, I do think the same for Holyfield, a fully focused Bowe is up there too, heck I even think V'Klitschko would have been an awkward task for anyone, he's underated as well imo.

Comment

It's a shame Lewis was denied a chance to fight some of these guys during their prime but at least he took out Holyfield twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X