Dreamcast lightgun calibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamcast lightgun calibration

I've been playing Confidential Mission and Virtua Cop 2 today but didn't enjoy them as much as I should because I couldn't get the calibration accurate enough. Sometimes the gun would fire slightly right of where I was aiming, or the TV wouldn't recognise shots toward the edges of the screen, just making me reload instead.

It's been years since I used a DC lightgun so I can't remember if they were particularly temperamental or not.

Any tips?

A similar thing happened to me. I've got two guns and I'm SURE that both of them used to work fine, just like the arcades. Then, all of a sudden, they wouldn't fire into the corners of the screen. I hadn't changed TV so it wasn't down to that. Seems a strange fault to develop doesn't it, I'd have thought they'd either work or not, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Good to know I'm not the only one.

Maybe I'll try a different gun or video input...

Comment

I always had problems with DC light guns, even when they were first released with house of the dead 2. The problem is they just aren't accurate enough, particularly in a tough game like hotd2. Going from using a G-con in point blank to a Dc gun is a rather jarring experience due to the lack of accurcy.

Comment

I did have the same problem on both my 15" and 24" tellys. Strangely I found calibrating from only a couple of inches away from the screen seemed to do the trick, I've always assumed that was just an issue with my light gun.

Comment

I guess the way they work - means that they'll never be as accurate as a Guncon.

I got through HOTD2 without any headaches.

Comment

It sucks that they can be shown up by a Wii Remote, which I always assumed was inferior. Maybe it's just a case of rose tinted spectacles.

Will try calibrating closer to the screen.

Comment

Sounds like your telly might be getting a bit old. I have the same problems with one of my old TV's the best idea is to turn up the brightness.

As if the telly is too dark the DC lightgun won't registers some shots. That should greatly increase the accuracy.

All lightgun include the G-con have a problem shooting the very edge of a screen but it should be a very small area about 5mm around the edge of the screen if that. If it's larger then make sure there are no magnetic sources nearby.

Generally I found on a good working TV the DC and Saturn Lightguns to be far more accurate than the shakey G-Con.

Comment

Working...
                X