My 1st Castlevania game - which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1st Castlevania game - which one?

Just trying to think what classics I've never even tried and Castlevania popped into my head (along with Super Metroid)

Should I go for Castlevania IV on the SNES (it'll be US NTSC)

or

whatever it's called on the PSP, with Rondo and SOTN on it - that's 2 corkers there isn't it? What do they play like on the PSP?

I'm tempted to go with the SNES, just so that I'm playing it on original hardware.

Pete

I'd go for the snes one too, great music, and not impossible to complete. go for it!

Comment

SCIV is probably the best of the action ones (in my opinion) and Symphony Of The Night is the best of the RPG ones and arguably the best overall. Play em both, I say.

Comment

I didn't much care for the psp port. If you're after classic, I'd say go for the original Castlevania and the original Metroid on the gba. They're tough bastards, but the overall quality in music, persentation and action is astounding in both. Get the Japanese versions though for the ability to save. God help any soul who tries to complete them with passwords or, heaven forbid, in one sitting.

Comment

Another vote for SCIV here. It's a fantastic game, great graphics and just awesome music. It's also easier to get into than the Metroid-clone Castlevanias. If you've got the time on your hands for one of those then SoTN is pretty good.

Comment

Cheers everyone, looks like i'll be going for the SNES one now

Pete

Comment

Yep, best choice, C4 is a lovely game. Then perhaps trying SotN for its differences.
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

CastlevaniaIV is the daddy.

It's easy to play - and feels good. The visuals and music are brilliant. There are a lot of things to see and kill. It's an amazing experience.

In my book, no other Castlevania is anywhere near as good. Rondo Of Blood on the PC-EngineCD, is second best.

Some people like Symphony of the Night. If you love Metroid - then you'll love that.

Comment

SC4 is a great game, i have a lot of happy memories playing it. I actually played through this recently and it was actually better than i remembered.

But for me SoTN is the pinnacle of Castlevania gaming.
                  An absolute beast of a game with an RPG element to it and an absolute bugger to access the second half of the game if your not paying attention, which is where a lot of people thought the game ended...me included, until they realised they were only halfway through.

Unbelievabley good music, good visuals and solid gameplay make this the Castlevania id take to a desert island.

Comment

But for me SoTN is the pinnacle of Castlevania gaming.

I'm raining on your parade - but... I must disagree.

SOTN has weaker visuals. They are anorexic - and lacking in animaton, compared to the solid, well done animation in CV4.

Sonically, the tunes found in SOTN are technically fine, but.. lack the haunting, magical feel of CV4.

The gameplay is also aimed at people who like things don't mind things being unnessarily labourious.

SOTN is good. CastlevaniaIV is on a whole higher level of brilliance.

It's a shame that SOTN gets hyped more for many superficial reasons.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-10-2008, 15:17.

Comment

Castlevania 4 is a linear action platformer with excellent use of the whip mechanic whereas SOTN is a non linear action rpg platformer.

SOTN has similarities with Metroid where there's a lot of exploring and uncovering of abilities which allow you access to new areas. There's also the usual rpg elements of leveling up, buying, selling and equipping items and respawning enemies

You don't get Castlevania's like CV4 anymore and I don't think the whip has ever been put to such good use both in terms of combat and platforming. It's also got one of the best soundtracks of all time.

Comment

Its personal preference, i'm not knocking the SNES version, i just stand by what i said that the natural progression of the castlevania series was never bettered for me after SoTN

I have owned and played all of the castlevania games over the last 18 years or so and the only one i have ever gone back to more than twice is SoTN. I have played through it about 7 or 8 times since its release. The gameplay in the reverse castle in particular is intense and very hard towards the end as you really have to think about how to tackle the bosses and with what weapons/trinkets etc.

I suppose i also do prefer exploration games as akin to the linearity of SC4, but having said that, i fcuking hated the Metroid games everyone crows about. Super Metroid in particular bored me witless

Go figure

Comment

my first was Castlevania:SOTN in the PSX and I absolutely loved it ! I also liked Castlevania:loi on the PS2 a lot, although I seem to be one of the few that actually liked it ...
                          never played the snes version....

Comment

If you want to experience a more 'classic' way of playing Castlevania, I'd get the SNES Castlevania IV as, like many have mentioned, it has an atmosphere far beyond other Castlevanias.

But having said that, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't get SOTN, too. Both games are ace - slightly different in gameplay and tone, but ace!

I love all the 'Metroidvania' games, and it's also worth checking out Castlevania Double Pack on GBA - it's an absolutely awesome pack, and a good precursor (post-precursor???) to the RPG-adventure style of play seen in SOTN.

Comment

start at the beginning

Comment

Working...
                              X