Smashed my BT Master socket, help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smashed my BT Master socket, help?

This morning I accidently dropped a suitcase down the stairs and it's hit the master BT socket in the hallway, smashed the casing and bent the small circuit board inside.

So currently no dial tone on the landline at home although for some odd reason the ADSL still works fine...?

I've rung BT and they want around ?220.00 to come out and replace the box. I know I could replace it myself (only two colour coded wires to reconnect), therefore I wanted to know if it was possible to purchase replacement master sockets.

I'm assuming it's the master as the phone line comes straight into the house and terminates inside this box and then the ADSL splitter plugs into this box.

Must be. I've got a socket with a network port in it and a phone line too. There isn't another socket. My electrician installed it when he did the rewiring.

edit: Just noticed I've got some sort of BT junction box above the front door, but it's not a socket.

Comment

Is it this?

Also, from the same site, very handy telephone wiring instructions:
      Last edited by Alastair; 14-11-2008, 14:40.

Comment

Yep, that's it mate. Thanks you just appeared to have saved me around £210..
        Last edited by Unwell Cat; 14-11-2008, 22:09.

Comment

its prob a bit late now but if its the master socket you should be able to take off the bottom bit and there should be another socket set inside it that you should be able to connect into to get a quick fix solution

Comment

Originally posted by Spagoli View Post
            its prob a bit late now but if its the master socket you should be able to take off the bottom bit and there should be another socket set inside it that you should be able to connect into to get a quick fix solution
            That's only if it's a linebox and, judging by the picture that Alastair posted, it's not.

Comment

May be worth pointing out to you so that your aware in case it does go wrong, hopefully it won't.

The actual socket is BTs property and you'll find that it's actually illegal to do anything like that too it. If you find that due to fixing it, iyou causes any damage to the network outside of your property you are legally liable for any costs which depending on the damage could be several thousand pounds.

You shouldn't have any problems but I wouldn't want you to feel that it's unlikely to happen as it's a part of my work to asses these things and although it is a relatively simple job they go horribly wrong probably more than you'd expect.

Just letting you know, just in case!

Originally posted by BT T&C
              You agree to look after any of our equipment. If you do not do so and the equipment is damaged, you may have to pay for it to be repaired or replaced.
              EDIT:
              Should really point out that there is a difference between the main socket (First box inside the property) and any extension sockets. The first box, whether there is a socket or not is BTs property and that's when the above would apply.

Any boxes connected to that are classed as extension sockets and the occupiers responsibilty. You can do what ever you want with those and as long as it doesn't damage anything that is BTs property then you'll be fine.
              Last edited by JP; 14-11-2008, 19:18.

Comment

Even if he's damaged it, will BT not upgrade main the socket to a linebox for free regardless?

Comment

BT and free of charge in the same sentence. You must be joking.

Comment

Heh, I'm not joking, I used to work for them as well. Like John said, the master socket or linebox is BT's property and responsibility so if it's causing a problem then that's about the only thing they won't charge you for. When I worked there, if you only had a master socket they would upgrade it to a line box for free.

Comment

Btw, if you're tinkering with your sockets then I highly suggest fitting an iPlate to improve the ADSL quality. Worked a treat for me.

Comment

A bit of an update on the above.

What was known as the iPlate is now called the BT Broadband Accelerator and as of 01/07/09 will be available free online for BT broadband customers. Unfortunately there is a delivery charge of ?2:50 but some people are getting double the speeds.

There's no guarantees you'll get an improvement but when the site is updated there will be a guide up to see if it's likely to improve for you.

Comment

Fixed it myself with a new socket for about ?2.99 online inc postage compared to the fortune BT wanted.

Comment

sweet

Comment

Originally posted by Unwell Cat View Post
                              Fixed it myself with a new socket for about ?2.99 online inc postage compared to the fortune BT wanted.
                              Took you just over a year though

Comment

Working...
                              X