famicom disk question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

famicom disk question

were the games originally sold in a larger box? i can only find them in a clear plastic box with the disk (in another box) and the instructions..

Yup, a larger flimsy plastic case. A manual was then slotted inside beside the hardcase youre familar with!

Ill take a nice detailed photo for you on xmas day

Comment

so there was no cardboard box? You could always see the disk and instructions inside? I do have a copy of Otocky that is in a large carboard box but I assume that's an exception.

Comment

I've only ever seen them in those plastic cassette-type boxes. I dare say some games got cardboard sleeves or outer boxes but I don't think it was the norm. FDS games were mainly sold through vending machines which overwrote your existing discs so some didn't get retail released at all.

Comment

yeah, I wonder if it'd ever be possible to get one of those disk writers... they look the shiz

Comment

A fair amount were released in these outer boxes. Off the top of my head I know all the Nintendo sportsy games were. My copy of Doki Doki Panic is in one too. Within the Doki Doki Panic box is a lovely sticker of Mario and the main character (which Mario ended up replacing!!)

Have any of those disk writers ever hit eBay or the like?

Comment

Whilst I like the Famicom Disc System, it's gotta be one of the most unreliable pieces of kit I've ever owned ... and I've had a few 360's!

If the drive belt isn't knackered, the discs can have all sorts of rubbish written on them!

It's a shame that not all of the disc games were re-released on cartridge, imho

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Of Swede View Post
                Whilst I like the Famicom Disc System, it's gotta be one of the most unreliable pieces of kit I've ever owned ... and I've had a few 360's!

If the drive belt isn't knackered, the discs can have all sorts of rubbish written on them!

It's a shame that not all of the disc games were re-released on cartridge, imho
                The Sharp Twin Famicom that Santa is currently holding for me till Thursday came fitted with a new belt. Should I be prepared for it to break easily? Or ar units with new belts usually quite reliable?

Also, Id love some more recommendations please if possible!

Comment

If its had a new belt & been calibrated you should be fine, they break more due to age than been weak. Probably a good idea to start sourcing an extra belt & replacement/tuning instructions on the net as you will eventually have to replace it but not for a long time.

Disk systems are cool but very tempremental bits of hardware & need lots of tlc

Comment

Sorrel, here are the photos as promised

There's the outer box with the grey sides! Seems to be one for most FDS games.
                    A few exceptions im aware of are, Bubble Bobble coming in a very lovely pencil case, a few in larger cardboard boxes and Hikaru Genji: Roller Panic coming in a CD case!

Comment

Wtf? Didn't notice any of these extra posts when I was in Japan. So a fairly belated thanks to you Adam for the pics.
                      So, just so I'm clear, a complete disk system game (disregarding the large boxed exceptions like Otocky etc) should have;

1. An outer flimsy + transparent plastic box (similar to Famicom Mini outer boxes?)
                      2. A cover sheet that slides into the front of said box.
                      3. Instructions.
                      4. A hard plastic case that folds open.
                      5. A cardboard sleeve with the cover illustration on it.
                      6. The disk.

Are most of the disks on ebay etc complete in this way? Seems a lot of stuff that could get lost, and I'm sure I've seen a lot that don't have all this crap.

As for the disk writers, I've never seen one in real life They have a large poster of one in Super Potato, but that's it. Thought I'd found one on ebay the other day, turns out it's just a disk holder shaped like a writer.

Comment

Figured I may as well recycle this thread rather than start a new one. Just bought one of these along with a famicom, quite excited about finally getting one as apart from emulation i've never had any experience of owning or playing a famicom/Nes, nobody I knew had one when I was a kid, it was all Master System and C64 back then.

So questions, as far as the disk system goes are they really as unreliable as they are made out to be?, how long do the belts usually last?, also what's the chance of data getting wiped or corrupted on the disks. Probably should have asked all this before I bought one tbh.

Comment

Working...
                        X