Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World?

on the back of the Mario v Sonic thread, I thought I would post the question.

both games are dear to me, but which is best?

the map/flying aspects of SMW originally appeared in SMB3, but SMW took the franchise to a new level on the SNES.

having said that, surely SMB3 was a huge accomplishment, given the limitations of the NES?

opinions peeps?

The definitive Mario game is the gba version of Super Mario World, if you ask me. Maybe because I didn't grow up with it, but Mario 3 has never felt as special to me. I did just get it for the famicom though, so perhaps I will appreciate it more once I get into it properly.

Comment

Both are great, but I still rate Super Mario World as the best game of all time (this coming from a fan of the 8/16-bit Sonic games). It was platform game perfection.

Comment

I love SMB3, but SMW is dearer to me.

Comment

Originally posted by m3evo View Post
          the map/flying aspects of SMW originally appeared in SMB3, but SMW took the franchise to a new level on the SNES.

having said that, surely SMB3 was a huge accomplishment, given the limitations of the NES?
          Mr. Hammer, meet Mr. Nail-head!

Spot on.

Comment

I'm somehwhat biased towards 8-bit where Nintendo are concerned but I still stand by my opinion that SMB3 was the better game. Not only did it accomplish incredible things on extremely limited hardware, but it's tougher, denser and richer in its design that SMW. That vertical level with the pipes is the stuff of my nightmares! SMW is a great game of course but I feel it was a bit gentler and more spaced out than 3.

Comment

Marioworld for me. Love it!

Comment

I reckon mario world was the denser game. There are so many bonuses and secrets in each level it takes ages to fully see the levels. I was surprised, when recently replaying Mario 3 on the virtual console how small the levels felt, with it not actually taking that long to get to the end of them. Still brilliant though, and I agree it is tougher than Mario world. Of course, this is all pointless since we all know Yoshi's Island is the best

Comment

You'll often find that SMB3 has a very strong following in the US. Many if not most Americans would almost automatically rate it above SMW, which is the opposite to opinion found in Europe and Japan. This has a lot to do with the ingrained cultural and sales impact SMB3 had in the US (nostalgia comes into play here) - it's hard to underestimate how huge this game was for them at the time.

As wonderful as Super Mario Bros. 3 is, and for all the groundwork and ideas it laid down for the sequel, Super Mario World is undoubtedly the better, more polished and varied, and dare I say it, perfected game.

Comment

Easy , Super Mario IV.

Along with Exhumed , Mario is the most perfect game I've ever played, both games feature the best level design I've ever experienced in a game . And before people jump on my back, I'll stress imo

Comment

Today in 2009 I prefer Yoshies Island to SuperMario World.

Sonic was THE game for me in my schooldays though , Mario was considered to girly

Comment

World methinks.

Ask me tomorrow and I might change my mind.

Comment

Definitely Mario World. Just don't like Mario 3 that much really... not sure why. Probably the lack of the save feature.

Comment

I've always preferred Super Mario Bros. 3.

Can never vocalise why thought. Maybe the ton of different power ups for Mario did it.

Comment

4>>>3. It makes me feel all "woo Scart lead 1991 import-tastic".

I actually chose Final Fight over it to start with, but I had it by Xmas.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X