Internet Arguments - Serious Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet Arguments - Serious Business

Anyone else find that they frankly, just can't be bothered with internet arguments in the same way they used to be?

It used to be I'd endlessly argue a point in a thread until I really started getting worked up about it. Now? I just don't want to deal with the hassle, I'll make my points on a subject, maybe reply a few times to deal with responses then, unless a thread goes in a different direction, leave it at that. If it's a subject matter that stirs a heated debate, I'll even stop myself going back to it once I've gotten my point of view across.

It's even becoming the case where I start typing a rant or response and look at it and think 'nah, I don't want to go down this road'. I know I give and take a lot of flak on the football threads, but that's to do with the fun of banter rather than emotive political debate.

People don't change their opinions easily and they won't do it through a single conversation 99.9% of the time so there's little point on getting multiple people worked up about something which may be pretty petty.

Other people's views? Do you get more worked up than you should on forums and chat rooms?

I disagree.

Comment

I totally agree, I used to be a right **** when I was a teenager, but now I will, as you say, type something in response and then think 'what's the point' and delete it. Am I getting wiser, or just lazier?

Comment

I do that too actually, Noobish. Sometimes I can spend quite some time crafting a lengthy response and then just delete it. And then sometimes I'll do that twice. If you're actually starting to type a response, I'd say it's wisdom, not laziness.

But I love a good discussion and I often think, and have said before, that we don't give ourselves enough credit for being able to thrash things out. For me personally, I've actually found out a lot of stuff I never would have known by participating in discussions and even what you'd call arguments. It can be eye-opening. And, yeah, sometimes frustrating. But fun.

Comment

I know what your saying but as I am always right its worth that 0.01% chance that someone will become a little more learned because of me.

Comment

I can't be arsed sometimes to even reply to some topics let alone have a argument...

Comment

Funny as I've been thinking about this for a while now.....

As I've gotten older I've found that I generally just make my point and then leave the discussion. Once upon a time I would have wasted hours of my life arguing a stupid point etc. However as Smurfy says, people and their opinions are hard to change, even when they are wronger than brown sauce and my ring piece.

People really do take these so called debates way too seriously at times and from a gaming perspective often the ones that claim "I'll get called a fanboy if I say this, so I won't" etc are as bad as those that troll for nothing more than the sake of it.

Too much reading into things that aren't there in the first place combined with too little reading fullstop IMO......

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                Anyone else find that they frankly, just can't be bothered with internet arguments in the same way they used to be?

It used to be I'd endlessly argue a point in a thread until I really started getting worked up about it. Now? I just don't want to deal with the hassle
                I'm the same nowadays.

I used to be a very argumentative mofo but now, I let a lot more things slide (i.e. things I disagree with) and often can't be arsed to keep a discussion going. I put it down to the fact that I just have better things to do, tbh. I used to only access this site from work, it was blocked about 4 years ago (best thing that happened, thinking back) and I only got the internet sorted when I moved to my current flat about 2 years ago. This means I access this site at home, where I have too many other things going on to care about some beeatch on the internet!

Now, I'll just say what I have to say and leave it at that.

Comment

Is this the thread for an argument?

Comment

Go for it. Be warned though that some of us might just chime in with a "your a cock" comment and leave it at that

/Just incase, for those not quite sure, that was meant to be funny. It was not an attack or flame or anything like that.

/The above disclaimer is in itself perhaps another example of how weird forums etc have gotten over the years......

Comment

A wise man once said arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. It doesn't matter who wins, you're still retarded.

Amen.

Comment

That's alright, it was a vague attempt to emulate the Monty Python sketch

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101 View Post

I like it when people use Caps lock, because they think YOU WILL F***ING LISTEN to their stupid messed up ideas.

I miss all that business. But it always ends in tears. (And Banhammers.)

Comment

Some do take it way too seriously

Its all a waste of pixels in the end

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101 View Post
                              I've told you once.

(Ignore the fact you've spoiled it now with your link to YouTube - I knew exactly what you meant)

Comment

Working...
                              X