Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vay - Mega CD

Anyone ever played this?

I just noticed that it's been remade for iPhone and wondered if it's worth downloading...

It's a pretty good RPG however one of the highlights of the game is the soundtrack. Can't see that making it to the iPhone.

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
      It's a pretty good RPG however one of the highlights of the game is the soundtrack. Can't see that making it to the iPhone.

Yakumo
      I read an iPhone review, at Touch Arcade, which praised the music. Should be ok.

Comment

Ehm. The iphone version sits at around 57mb. Same as the mega cd when its compressed I'm sure.

The soundtrack is identical.

Not a game I want to play on iphone thoiugh. TERRIBLE controls. I booted it off installed more scummvm stuff.

Comment

How do you play games on an iPhone anyway? There's no controls as such. Can you attach a controller or is everything touch screen? If so you won't be getting any scrolling shooters or fighters I guess.

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
            How do you play games on an iPhone anyway? There's no controls as such. Can you attach a controller or is everything touch screen? If so you won't be getting any scrolling shooters or fighters I guess.

Yakumo
            A combination of touch screen and tilt. And, unlike DS, it can respond to two points on the touch screen at once, so it's pretty versatile.

Oh and there are loads of shmups already. I have rRootage (port of an old Kenta Cho game) and Space Deadbeef - a 2D lock-on shooter from the guy who designed Omega Boost and Panzer Dragoon.

As for Vay, I'm still on the fence about it. Not convinced that it's for me yet.

Comment

There's also a shoot-em-up just been released called Internal Force, which is completely free.

It's actually a curtain fire shmup, and the controls on that are *excellent*

Comment

Yeah but how do you control a shooter? Is it all touch screen? Some how I can't see that working very well. I did see a racing game that needed you to tilt the phone in order to turn which was fun but not very practical as far as gaming goes. I had House of the dead for my older mobile about 3 years ago that used a system like the iPhone uses now and that was bloody awful. I always ended up using the phone's D-pad.

The reason I ask is that I'm interested in upgrading my current phone to iPhone but I also use my phone for mobile gaming (Street Fighter Zero 2, DoDonpachi, Sokyugurentai, Bio hazard and so on) as well as watching movies. I know the iPhone is a cool media player so that's covered. It's just the gaming side I'm not sure about.

Yakumo

Comment

Can't believe I only just noticed this topic...

I played Vay to death back in the Mega CD games and enjoyed it lots and lots. The iPhone version is pretty decent TBH, I think I paid about ?3.50 for it. The controls are a bit fiddly (although it should be noted that like the vast majority of iPhone apps, the developer has issued a series of patches, one of which moderately improves the touch-screen control) but this isn't a twitch arcade game so it doesn't really make any difference.

They made some stupid choices - like changing the battle screen sprites to some goofy 'Kingdom Hearts' style characters - but you can switch back to the old ones in the settings, so it's all good.

Oh, and yeah, the OST is exactly the same. So are the animated sequences. The translation is different to the Working Designs one I think, but it's of a decent quality.

Like I said, for the price you really can't complain. The fact that this got ported to the iPhone at all is reason to be very cheerful indeed.

Comment

Working...
                  X