Domestic Violence *Controvertial*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Domestic Violence *Controvertial*

So if you have not already heard about it, Chris Brown (A 19 year-old American singer) was arrested prior to the Grammys for beating his girlfriend Rhianna. There are no further details about the altercation save rumors of her giving him herpes and other speculation.

I was just wondering what you views on a guy hitting a woman are (and the reverse). The internet is awash with the phrase "Under no circumstances should a man hit a woman, ever!".

I find myself turning away when I see women getting hit in movies/tv just cause it makes me that uncomfortable. However I have seen/heard of incidents where although it is not right, some of the "victims" have earned what they got, only to exclaim "you cant hit me!!!!".

What are your opinions/experiences?

If a man hits a woman he should be arrested and face the consequences.
    If a woman hits a man she should be arrested and face the consequences.

Sums it up for me

EDIT: Of course I meant consequences XD
    Last edited by D J Kix; 10-02-2009, 08:47.

Comment

It's really about the fact that men are, in general, far stronger than women, at least in terms of upper body. So for a man to punch a woman is seen as unfair I suppose as she will always come off worse. In self defence, then, yes, a man should, but otherwise it's a bit of a no no.

Comment

When she gets out of line, give her a good slapping :P

Comment

Its disgraceful, I mean that Umbrella song got on my nerves too but still...

Comment

I'd happily punch Myra Hindley in the face. Repeatedly. But generally no, you don't hit women.

Comment

Can't we all just get along?

Comment

A guy I used to work with once came to the school with four long fingernail sized scratches down his face, bruises, plasters.. you name it. He talked about how his girlfriend was uncontrollably jealous but nobody had the nerve to ask him about the injuries.

We've all read buster broon's story too. I don't know what I would do in those situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
                  We've all read buster broon's story too.
                  Eh? That's passed me by...

Comment

I think people who do it are scum. I'm fairly concerned that my next door neighbour does it but I've no evidence and to report it would open a whole world of crap.

However I think the under-reporting of domestic abuse and the lack of the legal system's ability to handle women on men violence is completely and utterly disgraceful. Men are actually more likely to be a victim of domestic abuse than women are but they have no where to turn to. Police will struggle to take you seriously, you won't get the automatic protection that a woman would get upon making a claim and there are no shelters for men.

What's worse, if a woman then comes back and claims he hit her (whether made up or in self defence), she gets the protection, the house, the kids and the guy's name is dragged through the mud.

Comment

Domestic violence should be harshly punished no matter what sex the perpetrator is.

However, I'm surprised and disdainful of people who tell me I was wrong for whacking a woman who pulled a knife on me (before running away) just because she was female.

Comment

I live by the "eye for an eye" mentality

Respect bigets respect
                        Desrespect bigets disrespect

Women might not be stronger than men physically when it comes to brute force, but I'm sure many of them can pick up an iron or a bottle without too much effort.

Sex is no defense mechanism
                        Last edited by Daragon; 10-02-2009, 11:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                          Sex is no defense mechanism
                          I'd say that was true, trying to have sex with a woman who is coming at you with a knife just seems foolhardy...

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                            Women might not be stronger than men physically when it comes to brute force, but I'm sure many of them can pick up an iron or a bottle without too much effort.
                            Not all abuse is physical either. Tongues can hurt as much as fists.

Comment

Great post Daragon... I studied domestic violence as a module on my law degree, and there's an astonishing amount of cases where women have killed men, sometimes when they're sleeping, and received little punishment, because they claimed domestic violence. I am well aware that certain men can be excessively controlling, but murdering someone in their sleep ???

The thing is, it's easy to say 'full-stop, men can't hit women', but as Stoppy highlights above, if 3 women attempted to mug me, I would defend myself in the manner necessary. Who here can say they would not defend themselves from being beaten up, just on the basis that it was women doing it?

On the other hand, I wouldn't hit a women just for insulting me - but in exactly the same way I wouldn't hit a chap for insulting me. Therefore, the point has little to do with gender for me - I would respond with the level of aggression/violence required in any given situation.

If I see a man hit another man with no provocation whatsoever, then I feel just as uncomfortable as seeing a man hit a women under the same circumstances; this is amplified if the victim is perhaps smaller/younger/weaker or whatever - which is usually more likely with women - how often do you see buff chicks?

Comment

Working...
                              X