What is the best Mario Kart clone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best Mario Kart clone?

As we all know, Mario Kart is one of the greatest and must fun series of games ever made and there have been many clones trying to cash in on that magic formula, But which Mario Kart clone is the best?

My vote has to go to the excellent GBA game Konami Krazy Racers - Released in 2001.

I dug this game out the other day and have really enjoyed playing through it again.
    It has excellent graphics (for the GBA) and music (tunes from games like Parodius, Castlevania and Metal Gear Solid) + fair selection of charactors.
    The controls are very similar to the SNES Mario Kart and the GBA Mario Kart super circuit.

I have heard it said ( I think maybe on the teletext gamecentral pages ) that this game is better than Mario Kart super circuit! I would not go that far myself but it's a close call.

I would really love to see a sequal on either the DS of the Wii !!

Let me know what you think peeps.

I really enjoyed Diddy Kong Racing myself.

Comment

Mario kart double dash

Comment

Anyone play Skunny Kart on the pc years and years ago? Great game.

Comment

I'd go with Diddy Kong Racing and Konami Crazy Racers, too.

Also Street Racer on the Super Nintendo was a really addictive SMK clone with lots of extra modes. Poured lots of hours into that one back in the day.

Comment

I rekon I'd go with street racer on the snes too. I still think it's playable to this day. I can't say the same for diddy kong racing though. That has aged really badly.

Comment

I remember quite liking Crash Team Racing on the PS1.

Comment

Street Racer was a good game no doubt, really hokey designs in the worst of amiga style tho.

Comment

Crash Team Racing.

It's better than Mario Kart.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch996 View Post
                    Crash Team Racing.

It's better than Mario Kart.

ROFL

Yeah Diddy Kong is Fantastic too, Also Mickey's Speedway USA was ok.

I tried Street Racer a few weeks back and it seemed nowhere near as good as I rememberd sadly, Maybe I'll try it again though.

Comment

I didnt like Street Racer. It had no lastability.

CTR is probably my fav non SMK. Nice graphics and good track design.

Comment

The racing parts of Diddy Kong are amazingly good. I remember it being one of my favourite games of the time - and I played it for many years. The visuals and overall creative design... really had me smiling.

StreetRacer wasn't ever a great game - and probably not even a very good one. I'd say for its day.. it was quite good, but.. the character designs, game engine and overall fun factor, were miles away from the brilliance of Mario Kart. The SNES version is the one to play - if you must give it a go.

I can't remember playing any other Karting games. Whenever one was released for the PS1 - the reviews were always apathetic, saying " It's lame compared to Mario Kart " ... I just didn't bother with the wannabes.

When it came to cartoon racers - I did play a lot of MotorToon Grand Prix 2, which was a quality experience

I'd like to see more devs creating Karting titles. Mario Kart Wii is excellent, and I crave more of the same sort of thing.

Comment

None , there were all sh8t ripp off's . You'll never top Snes or N64 Mario Kart

Comment

Wacky Wheels on the PC by Apogee

Comment

Diddy Kong Racing for me, loved it.

Comment

Working...
                              X