Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! What sorta Laptop should I get for Uni?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! What sorta Laptop should I get for Uni?

Am heading off to Uni in September so looking into getting a laptop as I really can't be bothered lugging my big old PC around whenever I want to come back home for a visit, so going to invest in a laptop.

My initial thought was to get a super Laptop that can play the latest games but that's probably not in my price range.

My dad reckons I'm better off with a less powerful laptop for Uni as "less stuff can go wrong with it, the battery life will be better and it's not as heavy to carry around"

I might just take my Monitor and 360 in or something for games, but I'd still like to be able to play SOME games on my laptop like UT2K4.

Sell all your Gameboy stuff buddy and get a super powerful one !

On a serious note Tescos do some half decent ones for under 400

Comment

Well the price hopefully won't matter as It's a birthday present (and i'll chip in towards it)

I just don't know what's the ideal sort of laptop for Uni.

I could always look into getting a reaaly cheap laptop for internet/word processing as a spare if my good one goes wrong maybe.

I'll be studying Journalism

Comment

get a good micro notebook, itll save you money on books and pens to write on sure i saw a pretty good toshiba one in comet yesterday for about 400
        Last edited by ETC; 19-02-2009, 21:32.

Comment

I used to have a disliking towards Dell in the past since they were very unhelpful when our ten month old PC decided to die on it's own arse and I had several friends who also had a range of problems with their Dell computers.

Nowadays they seem to be a changed company for good. I have a Dell Studio Hybrid (which is one of those eco friend and efficient computers) and does a fantastic job and has never crashed nor any software issues either.

Going back to the thread, my Brother and a few of my friends have the Dell Inspiron (13" model) and they are brilliant for what you would like them to do; surf the internet, use the office based programs, iTunes and so forth.

I even know my mate has Half-Life 2 and Left 4 Dead running on Steam without a hitch too; perfect for your gaming needs.

Dell Inspiron laptops

Last edited by Extra Terrestrial; 19-02-2009, 21:35.

Comment

ET those laptops do look quite good. Whats the battery life and weight like? (can't find much about that on the site)

Comment

put the model number into google along with "benchmarks" and you can usually find a review avoiding rubbish price comparisson and user submitted review sites.

Other laptops to consider:

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

add £40 for a better graphics card when customising (integrated intel chips are awful)

looks like a good deal (if you like that tablet style rotating hinge). Dunno what the reviews are like on either.

Comment

Just saw this on HUKD:

Shop cheap laptops deals from top brands, including Lenovo, Dell, Apple, and more. Browse our laptop selection today and take advantage of our next-day delivery and flexible finance offers.

For the price seems pretty good for a 16" screen and if you have a vga port on your tv you gots blu ray player as well. Add (Open Office) or Office Pro (about £50), then get a decent usb mouse and it should get you through at least 2 years of uni.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post

looks like a good deal (if you like that tablet style rotating hinge). Dunno what the reviews are like on either.
                  That looks awesome! but I worry it may be a bit prone to problems?

Comment

Never used one myself but that hinge looks destined to break.

Comment

Okay I've decided to go for a higher specced laptop. Price range ?300-?500
                      what's peoples reccomendations?

The inspirons look pretty good.
                      The main requirements I'm after is that it will play Left 4 dead

Comment

there's this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150168

The GPU isn't amazing but given the benchmarks it gets for FEAR 1 which is a more demanding game than HL2, it should run L4D at a comfortable resolution and medium or better resolution. Also very boring looking but it depends if you care about that sort of thing.

Avoid anything with an intel GPU like the plague (the 15" inspirons seem to be all intel) , their graphics chips are hopeless at gaming. You need a discrete card, use that site for information on how good the GPU the laptop has is.

other than that, 2gb ram is a minimum, any dual core above 1.6ghz should be fine. Avoid celerons.

Comment

I'm buying my laptop next month, thanks for the
                          recommendations

any more advise would be greatly appreciated

Comment

I got a Dell Vostro for Uni last year, 2.4 core 2 duo, 3gigs of ram, 250 gig hard drive and an Nvidia 8400m. Worked out at about 750 euro with a laptop case thrown in. Might be worth a look I'm sure they've some good models and there always cheaper than the non - Buisness Laptops they sell

Comment

Working...
                            X