First sign of madness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First sign of madness?

They say that talking to yourself is the first sign of madness. However, I recently read somewhere that doing so is in fact perfectly normal and healthy.

Now, I have a confession to make. When I am by myself say, for instance alone in my flat, or working late at night (where again, I am often alone) I may, on occasion think out loud, but it's usually really just to keep myself company, if you get what I mean. And as I say, it's more a case of saying what I'm thinking (particularly if I'm playing a game or working on my computer and it does something to piss me off... like a few minutes ago when Media Player decided to change some of my mp3 tags to what it thought they should be without even asking me... ) rather than babbling incoherently like a schizophrenic.

So... I can't be alone. Referring to the article I read (I wish I could link it, but I forgot where I even found it), many people do this. Do you?

Come on, someone reassure me that I'm not completely alone in this!

Don't worry, a nice man in a white jacket will be along to say hello shortly

Comment

I'm a gibbering muthaf***er at the best of times, so unless I'm loopy (which is a distinct possibility), your ok.

That didn't help at all really...

Comment

I do this but only when I'm effing or blinding. I don't necessarily think that talking to yourself makes you mad. But if you was to do it in public, people will undoubtedly get funny ideas

Comment

Yeah, nothing wrong with having a quick conversation with yourself.

I do it at work when I'm merchandising a section. Sort of planning out loud and getting confirmation from myself that what I'm doing is going to work.

Comment

Talking to yourself isn't a problem. Hearing voices when there's nobody else around is when you need to wonder about mental health issues.

Comment

I talk to myself a lot. Most of the time I ignore myself though...

Comment

I find talking out loud is a great way to stay on track, I can lose my place in my thoughts otherwise, when revising I'd always do it 100% outloud. That's the most annoying thing I've found since working in an office. The fact you have to act normal all day, despite it being less productive.

Comment

My mate Johnny says talking to yourself is fine and he's a leprechaun, he knows what he's talking about.

Comment

You people are all ****ing crazy. Seriously! Learn some self-control! I used to work with a woman who did this and I put it down to a lack of mental discipline, since the stuff she used to blurt out was rarely work-related. Maybe you're all developing Tourettes?

Comment

Hard to keep it in sometimes when coding.

"WHY WON'T YOU ALIGN YOU BLOODY <DIV>!?!?!"

Comment

fu**ing nuts this thread,,,,you all need help!!

First sign of madness is agreeing Ady

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                          You people are all ****ing crazy. Seriously! Learn some self-control! I used to work with a woman who did this and I put it down to a lack of mental discipline, since the stuff she used to blurt out was rarely work-related. Maybe you're all developing Tourettes?
                          So you're telling me you've never so much as swore at the screen when playing a game, not so much as even a "What the f*ck!?" when a game skanks you!?

What are you, a monk?

Comment

Talking to yourself can just be a sign of trying to work out things out in your head. It's a cognitive and subconscious thing. It's when that becomes a constant stream of nonsensical gibberish that you've lost it.

It's not the first sign. The first sign is when you feel like someone's got their hand in your brain which turns into a feeling that nothing makes sense, like every single thing is totally wrong, and that you go through a whole range of emotions from happy to sad to angry and everything in between all within the space of a few minutes.

If that keeps happening then get the straight jacket ready, you're heading for a nervous breakdown.

Comment

I talk to myself in work because nobody else f*cking listens to me!

I talk to myself a lot. Sometimes when I'm working stuff out,or when I'm going thru something I intend to say,or when I get angry/having a moan etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X