Recommend me some more Japanese Sci-Fi / Cyberpunk / Twisted stuff movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me some more Japanese Sci-Fi / Cyberpunk / Twisted stuff movies

I sat down & watched Machine Girl at the weekend & it's seriously all kinds of awesome

Which got me thinking about other movies I should watch in the Cyberpunk/Twisted S**t genre.

I've got Tetsuo: Iron Man & Body Hammer already.
    Tokyo Gore Police & 964 Pinocchio were both ordered this morning but I dont know where else I should be looking.

So anybody got any recommendations for similair movies I've probably overlooked for far too long?

Neil

tokyo zombie and death race 2000, both pretty funny gory and cheesy visions of the future.

Comment

If you liked Tetsuo then I heartily recommend A Snake in June, also by Shinya Tsukamoto. It's like Tetsuo without the sci-fi / Godzilla stuff. A terminally ill man blackmails a meek housewife and her hygiene-obsessive salaryman husband into playing a series of erotic games. At the begining it's quite terrifying in a Hithcockian way, but eventually the husband finds he enjoys the blackmail more than the antagonist, and **** gets weird.

Japanese live-action sci-fi is usually pretty poor, low-budget type stuff though I'm afraid so I can't really recommend anything in particular.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casshern_(film)

Casshern, live action anime affair, I can't really remember if i liked this, it is a bit stupid but could be worth a look in.

Comment

Thanky for the recommendations

Just looked at Tokyo Zombie...looks like an English subtitled version is due in April so will add that to my pre-order list

Gonna have a read up on that Snake in June as well.
          Was actually just on Wikipedia looking at Shinya Tsukamoto's page to see what else he'd worked on
          Will get that ordered later in the month as well.

Would there be any Anime worth looking at that falls into the same kind of genre or is that all just really bizarre Hentai stuff??

Thanks again guys

Neil

EDIT - Thanks for the recommendation Baseley I've actually got Casshern & I quite enjoyed it...must get round to picking up the Anime at some point.
          Last edited by Soundwave; 09-03-2009, 14:07.

Comment

Check out Full Metal Gokudo.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man View Post
              Check out Full Metal Gokudo.
              Just looked at that will deffinitley be adding that to the collection...A Takeshi Miike take on Robocop

Been looking back through Miike's back catalogue as well & will be investigating his Dead or Alive Trilogy as well...not strictly Cyberpunk but deffinitley within the "twisted s**t" genre lol
              Infact most of his movies fall into the Twisted category come to think of it...Ichi still makes me feel weird watching it

Neil
              Last edited by Soundwave; 09-03-2009, 15:16.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                If you liked Tetsuo then I heartily recommend A Snake in June, also by Shinya Tsukamoto. It's like Tetsuo without the sci-fi / Godzilla stuff. A terminally ill man blackmails a meek housewife and her hygiene-obsessive salaryman husband into playing a series of erotic games. At the begining it's quite terrifying in a Hithcockian way, but eventually the husband finds he enjoys the blackmail more than the antagonist, and **** gets weird.
                That sounds awesome, and has reminded me why I need to sign up for a new Lovefilm account. Are there any good offers doing the rounds on them atm? Last time I wrangled 3 months on the free...

Not seen Tokyo Zombie but I bought it for a good friend of mine (quite the Tsukamoto fan) for Christmas and she loved it. She also made me watch Haze, which I'm not sure if I'd 'recommend' per se but it certainly is plenty unpleasant and left a very distinct impression on me.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                  That sounds awesome, and has reminded me why I need to sign up for a new Lovefilm account. Are there any good offers doing the rounds on them atm? Last time I wrangled 3 months on the free...

Not seen Tokyo Zombie but I bought it for a good friend of mine (quite the Tsukamoto fan) for Christmas and she loved it. She also made me watch Haze, which I'm not sure if I'd 'recommend' per se but it certainly is plenty unpleasant and left a very distinct impression on me.
                  I used to have a lovefilm account myself & it helped me no end in getting through my Anime series lol

Wow wish I could find a friend like yours my missus hates all this stuff so my only chance to watch it now is when she's out & that's not very often
                  And my mates all just think it's too weird & twisted so they tend to keep a wide berth if I start discussing any of it.

Will look at Haze too.
                  I'm happy to give everything a go once...if I dont like it I dont have to see it again do I?

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                    J
                    Been looking back through Miike's back catalogue as well & will be investigating his Dead or Alive Trilogy as well...not strictly Cyberpunk but deffinitley within the "twisted s**t" genre
                    I think you could say DOA Final is influenced by Cyberpunk to a certain extent (it's definitely Sci-Fi anyway), it's the worst film of the 3 though IMO. DOA 2 is probably my favourite film of his.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                      Tokyo Gore Police & 964 Pinocchio were both ordered this morning but I dont know where else I should be looking.
                      I watched that a couple of weeks back, really low budget but I enjoyed it, some of the spoof adverts were great, the film has a sort of S&M undertone to it as well, it's seriously strange in places, if you liked Machine Girl you'll love it, as Yoshihiro Nishimura worked on that film as well as this.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharfetchd View Post
                        I watched that a couple of weeks back, really low budget but I enjoyed it, some of the spoof adverts were great, the film has a sort of S&M undertone to it as well, it's seriously strange in places, if you liked Machine Girl you'll love it, as Yoshihiro Nishimura worked on that film as well as this.
                        I actually ordered it because it was another of his movies
                        Thought if I liked one I was bound to like the other lol

Glad you enjoyed it...looking forward to giving it a watch when it arrives.
                        I just love the OTT style of these movies, the trailer for Tokyo Gore just looks amazing

Neil

Comment

I'd avoid Casshern. Horribly dull film that takes a very long time to give an incredibly simplistic message: "war is bad! why? because it is! Have a giant metallic lightning bolt for no reason!"

Comment

hahah the random metal lightning bolt. Never did quite understand that

Comment

Man, I love Casshern. It's one of my favourite movies. But then I just see it as one long music video and, given the sound mix, I suspect the director did too. The music and image journey moves me every time I see it. Beyond that, it's all pointless speeches and shots of people emoting (reminds me of Zoidberg's uncle) so I can understand why some don't like it. But I love it.

There should have been loads of Cyberpunk in the 80s but wasn't for some reason. Was Hardware one? I can't remember. I remember loving it at the time. I must try to track it down.

Comment

Working...
                              X