Job Offer, Conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job Offer, Conundrum

I've accepted a job which I start in a couple of weeks however I've just heard back from a job I really wanted and they want to offer me the position..

I really want the job which has just been offered however it's how to let the other company down. I've already signed the contract and returned it to them.

Do I start and then hand my notice in as part of the initial probation period. I only need to give a weeks notice within the first three months. Or do I contact the recruiter before I start and explain the situation that I'm probably going to be handing my notice in during my first week of employment.

It's a bit **** either way really.

if the employer you've signed the contract with got you through a recruitment agency, they will owe that agency thousands of pounds for your employment

might be worthwhile doing it earlier rather than later

Comment

Mate, always choose and go for the job you would really like.

Yes, you may have to start and quit your other job at the same time, heck you may end up enjoying it to an extent, but you should be open and honest as to whatever reason you wish to decline and turn-down your current job placement.

It may make you feel bad (for yourself and the company) but you should always grab that better job you would like.

I wouldn't worry too much as I have been in exactly, and I mean exactly the same position as you are in at the moment and I do not regret turning down my previous placement for the one I absolutely love doing right now.

Whatever happens, good luck mate.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
        if the employer you've signed the contract with got you through a recruitment agency, they will owe that agency thousands of pounds for your employment

might be worthwhile doing it earlier rather than later
        I'm pretty sure recruiters only get paid once the probation period has been passed.

Comment

Originally posted by Unwell Cat View Post
          I'm pretty sure recruiters only get paid once the probation period has been passed.
          might be true on some cases but the last 2 jobs my wife has had, the company she used had been paid within a month of her employment and her probation was much longer than that. (£3000 and £6000 respectively)

but i would go with ET, take the job you want

just man up and dont dick around your new employer

i've just spoken with the wife and she says its all contractural, with her it was payment on issue of contract, probabation wasnt an issue

plenty of people looking for work and all that old Amigo
          Last edited by buster_broon; 23-03-2009, 09:41.

Comment

might be true on some cases but the last 2 jobs my wife has had, the company she used had been paid within a month of her employment and her probation was much longer than that. (?3000 and ?6000 respectively)
            Ok, thanks I'll bear that in mind. I don't like messing anyone about but at the end of the day I need to do what's best for myself and my family.

Comment

In the current market which company is the safest option?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
                In the current market which company is the safest option?
                One is for a contracted term of 12 months renewable for another 12 months (this is the one I have already returned the contract for). The other position is permanent.

Comment

I'd probably go for the second one, get the contract for it signed sharpish though.

Once you are 100% with the second one then get in touch with the recruiter and let them know the score, they'll try and convince you to stay with them. Get a clear statement of what the termination penalty is, they may try and pull that one on you or at least hint that there may be one when in fact there isn't.

Comment

to be honest pal, if you used the same recuitment agency for both they probably wont care which job you take as long as they get the commission for one of them

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
                      I'd probably go for the second one, get the contract for it signed sharpish though.

Once you are 100% with the second one then get in touch with the recruiter and let them know the score, they'll try and convince you to stay with them. Get a clear statement of what the termination penalty is, they may try and pull that one on you or at least hint that there may be one when in fact there isn't.
                      I've just been over the contract I've signed and all it states is that during the initial 3 month probation period either party has to give one weeks notice to terminate employment.

Comment

to be honest pal, if you used the same recuitment agency for both they probably wont care which job you take as long as they get the commission for one of them
                        Different agencies mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Unwell Cat View Post

No they dont they bill on employment start date usually from what i see

The Contract could/should be void if the date of employment has not commenced yet, im no expert or anything but if you have not commenced employment you are not (technically) working for them yet

as for the job, always take a permanent job over a fixed term one mate, it sits better for you knowing you are safe
                          Last edited by ETC; 23-03-2009, 12:40.

Comment

Just tell them as soon as possible. They're hardly likely to want to give you an induction, tell you how things work then find you stuff to do only for you to dick off the next week. I'm sure they'll tell you not to even start.

Comment

Working...
                            X