Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada

Moving to Vancouver in 2 months time (hopefully) and would like any impressions from people that have been there/lived there for a while

My brother in law lives there. If you want his number ill pm you it, think he could do with some English banter.

Have you got work? He runs/soon to own an irrigation company, works hard all summer then snowboards either at Grouse Mountain (local) or Whistler (couple of hours away) all summer.

His wife owns a hairdressing salon if you need a bit of sprucing up too.

Comment

Originally posted by Wavey Pavey View Post
      My brother in law lives there. If you want his number ill pm you it, think he could do with some English banter.

Have you got work? He runs/soon to own an irrigation company, works hard all summer then snowboards either at Grouse Mountain (local) or Whistler (couple of hours away) all summer.

His wife owns a hairdressing salon if you need a bit of sprucing up too.
      Yeah sure thing Im waiting on getting a working holiday visa which takes 6 weeks to process. Not got anywhere to work or live yet but Im hoping to have that sorted out nearer the time once I have that visa in my passport. Ive heard many good things about Canada and I love New Zealand and America so Im hoping this will be the perfect location for me. How do they like the british over there?

Comment

They love the british

To give you an idea without going too much into detail - i have a friend whos out there who s very average looking, infact i d go as far to say borrderline ugly and he says all it takes is for a canadian girl to hear the accent and shes yours.

He says he literaly takes a home a different girl every night he's out and theyre mostly hot unlike the women we have here lol

Comment

I'm planning on doing the same thing next year, visa through BUNAC? I wanted to go this year but I have to be sensible and get some more experience at work before I go. I am planning on going to Vancouver for a week or so this year to check it out, not been to Canada since 1999!

Comment

I went there a few months ago and it was probably the most boring place I've ever been.

Comment

Originally posted by nightstalker100 View Post
              They love the british.
              Yup.

I went on a one week snowboarding trip and all it takes is for you to say 'hello' and people - the Canadians- are suddenly quite interested in you. I had a lovely girlfriend sitting at home when I went out there abut three years ago but I can tell you, I would probably have had sex nearly every night of the week if I wasn't so attracted to my girl at the time.

Whatever happens Ghost, good luck mate!

My friend Johnny has a (girl)friend out in Vancouver; if there are any questions you would like to ask, I'm happy to answer them on her behalf.

Comment

I've got quite a few family members in Canada, mainly around Toronto & Stony Creek.

In the most simplistic terms, it's a bit like the US but without the fear & paranoia that's in the US and they just seem to have better manners. I know I'm generalising horribly there but they seem so similar in some ways and yet worlds away from each other too.

Watch Due South, it's a documentary of some sort!!

Comment

Time to join in I suppose...

I'm off to Calgary sometime in June with the wife (resident VISA here I come) though I've been living my life in Japanese so much it'll be difficult to adjust back.
                  We had planned to move straight to Vancouver but that was a little unrealistic as we don't have that much in savings.

Means I have to stock up on games before I go!

...And J-Nintendo points it seems...

Comment

It seems that a lot of people are leaving here or elsewhere to move abroad.

I'll be going back to Australia this summer.

YAY!

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                      Time to join in I suppose...

I'm off to Calgary sometime in June with the wife (resident VISA here I come) though I've been living my life in Japanese so much it'll be difficult to adjust back.
                      We had planned to move straight to Vancouver but that was a little unrealistic as we don't have that much in savings.

Means I have to stock up on games before I go!

...And J-Nintendo points it seems...
                      Is vancouver the most expensive part then? Im looking to raise about $4,500CA for when I go, that should be enough for the first couple of months while I find work shouldnt it?

Comment

My overall goal is to move to Canada in teh future as half my family is there - im sure ive mentioned it here numerous times before but i go back quite often. But when i do go back, its usually to Toronto and Montreal. Ive never been to Vancover before, i should really check it out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                          Is vancouver the most expensive part then? Im looking to raise about $4,500CA for when I go, that should be enough for the first couple of months while I find work shouldnt it?
                          Canadians always say it's expensive, but they've never lived in the UK.

I've got about CDN$2000 ready and waiting, plus we'll be living with the in-laws to start with.
                          I'm still sorting out what I need to apply for my permanent resident VISA and worrying how much shipping all our stuff from Japan is going to cost (imagine 50kg of manga...plus my videogame collection AND the wife's clothes...).

For just you you'll probably be okay with that provided you get a job soonish.
                          Try http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/

Comment

PST and GST - get used to these acronyms as you'll be seeing these lots on your receipts in Vancouver.

Vancouver was a pretty expensive City to live in while I was there in 2005, but a great one all the same (especially at night!) and the streets were super clean too! Robson Street is cool - it's like the West End of London but better and more classy. Snowboading at one of the nearby mountains in the winter is pretty good too. And come summer you can have fun at the beach and chase the fit birds

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Terrestrial View Post
                              Yup.

I went on a one week snowboarding trip and all it takes is for you to say 'hello' and people - the Canadians- are suddenly quite interested in you. I had a lovely girlfriend sitting at home when I went out there abut three years ago but I can tell you, I would probably have had sex nearly every night of the week if I wasn't so attracted to my girl at the time.

Whatever happens Ghost, good luck mate!

My friend Johnny has a (girl)friend out in Vancouver; if there are any questions you would like to ask, I'm happy to answer them on her behalf.
                              Well that wasnt actually one of the reasons why I wanted to move there but it sounds good to me :P

At the moment Im planning on moving to Vancouver as I have a mate that lives there plus its the main place in Canada where they shoot movies, but Im also considering Toronto as well if its cheaper and similar to Vancouver in terms of the number of people there and things to do. Which would be the best to start off with for those that have already been to those cities?

Comment

Working...
                              X