Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Streets of Rage mixing (on Ableton, emulators and things like that)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streets of Rage mixing (on Ableton, emulators and things like that)

Hey all,

As is the case come exam time (final year Physics degree. Gah!), my creative juices have begun to flow. Last year's exam revision period saw me suddenly get into 3D Studio, and the year before that it was Photoshop. This year it's bloody Ableton Live. No idea why, it's just happened. I blame the use of electro (Daft Punk, Justice, and recently that supercooldood Fred Falke) when studying.

Anyway, I was thinking about Yuzo Koshiro's awesome Bare Knuckle All-mix and decided to try and do one of my own. I figured I'd be stuck using the mp3s of the stage musics, but suddenly I had a brainwave...

Using Gens (or any MD emulator), you can record the sound output to a wave file, and more interestingly, you can choose which of the Megadrive's sound channels to emulate (YM2612, PSG and DAC).

So I just popped over to the SOR2 sound test, started a recording, turned on one of the channels and started playing the stage music. Once it looped round to the beginning of the song I stopped the recording, changed the sound channel and then replayed the song, recording to a new file. Rinse and repeat for the last chip and I now have three separate 'tracks' for the stage 1 music. A bit of fine-tuning in Acid Pro to line them all up correctly and that was that.

Of the three tracks, the first has most of the sound going on, the second sounds like a Master System and the third is a bit of the beat (annoyingly, the rest of the beat is in the first track)

I can probably fiddle the first track a bit more to separate the beat from the melody to have four tracks to play with, but so far it's working out great. The only real downside is having to sit there while the songs play (it was 90 seconds for the stage 1 music, three times over was 4.5 minutes altogether) to get the recordings in the first place.

I'm not sure which other console emulators (SNES, for example) can do this as well. I wonder if the CPS1/2 emus can, getting the SF2 music like that would be sweet!

Just thought I'd put this out there for anyone who's interested in trying it out themselves. Also, Gens can output GYM files which I think are probably like MOD files, so maybe that would be more fun to play around with, although I haven't tried it yet.

** LINK **

HAVING SOME FUN WITH STAGE 1
    Last edited by randombs; 25-03-2009, 19:53.

Cool idea.

I've checked my emu's...My snes emu doesn't have recording and neither does Nebula (Neo Geo), but Mame does so that would cover you for SF2 maybe?

Comment

I think Final Burn does, too, although I can't remember. One step at a time I guess, but the principle's the same. Even if the emu doesn't support wav writing natively, you could probably still record using a loopback thing if your soundcard supports it (where it reroutes the soundcard output internally to the mic input).

Comment

I did a quick muck about as a proof-of-concept for a mate, I've linked to it in the op. Should give an idea what you can do by splitting the stuff up

Comment

I don't know what you did, but this is setting my cock on fire. Could you do one for Sonic or something? Do chemical plant zone!

Comment

Way ahead of you, matey

I've been sitting here with this little loop from near the end of the song (the cool breakdown bit) for exactly half an hour. Just looping the same bit over and over again with a subtle beat-repeat thingy chucked in to jazz it up a bit (not that it needs any jazzing up, but still)

Comment

Working...
            X