Shadow of The Colossus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shadow of The Colossus

Another film which serves no real purpose!
    Originally posted by Hollywood Reporter
    "Shadow of the Colossus" is heading to the big screen.

The colossally popular video game is being developed as a feature by producer Kevin Misher, who has set the project up at Sony; the studio's sister division Sony Computer Entertainment is behind the video game.
    Justin Marks, the go-to young scribe who's writing "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" for McG at Disney, is attached to pen the script.

Colossus, which was developed for the PlayStation 2, was released in the U.S. in 2005. It quickly became a huge hit as well as a critical favorite.
    The game centers on the character Wander, who along with his horse Agro travels across a Western-style landscape to defeat enemies known as Collosi, with Wander's larger aim to save the girl Mono.

The game's landscape is minimalist and lacks some of the ensemble characters of other video games; instead, the challenge lies in locating the remote Colossi and uncovering their weaknesses through a series of puzzle-like challenges. Its scenes as well as its soundtrack are regarded by many as highly cinematic.

Video games have been a hot commodity recently in Hollywood development circles, with titles like "Max Payne" and "BioShock" attracting top level talent, though their boxoffice track record has been more checkered.

Misher has several movies set to release in the coming months, including the Channing Tatum-Terence Howard street-fighting drama "Fighting" and the Johnny Depp period gang pic "Public Enemies." The WMA-repped Marks also is attached to pen the comic-book adaptation "Suicide Squad" for Warners, among other projects.

This is an even worse idea than the Bioshock movie.

Comment

at least it'll have a better frame rate than the game

Comment

Was SOTC so noteworthy in casual gamer terms as to merit a movie?????!!

If so, I'm still awaiting the Toxic Grind movie, featuring Peter Falk as a sand texture.

Comment

Reservations about the worth of this aside....

Wouldnt a Shadow Of The Colossus film need more than SIXTEEN relativley epic action sequences?

How long are they expecting its run time to be exactly?

Comment

I guess no-one has seen Reign Over Me then?! That was the first big screen appearance for SoTC, they should leave it at that to be honest
            Last edited by ezee ryder; 08-04-2009, 02:45.

Comment

if they do make the film they might remake the game for the ps3

Comment

I hope they get Dennis Hopper to play an evil tyrant who controls all the Colossi to rule the kingdom.

Comment

The fact that Shadow of the Colossus would not sustain any movie in its current form would say to me there is potential there. Game adaptations are often doomed. Usually their source material is cack (seriously, there will never ever be a good live-action Street Fighter film) and, if they aren't cack, they need so much adaptation that fans will hate it regardless. Films and games are very different things.

But something like Shadow of the Colossus only really brings with it a few elements - huge gigantic creatures, a beautiful world and, maybe but not even essential, a bloke with a horse and his dead missus. There's little else that can be taken over. So it doesn't come with anywhere near as much baggage as most game adaptations.

And fantasy blokes versus huge colossal colossuses (the only true plural of colossus) is a good place to start a movie.

Ah, who am I kidding? It will be cack, won't it?

Comment

Ive lost all faith in mankind after hearing this

Comment

japanese narrative + hollywood style = sure fire hit.

That is one formula that has never failed...... :O

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                        Ive lost all faith in mankind after hearing this
                        Likewise, it's depressing to say the least.

Comment

This could be OK if it hey had somebody like Studio Ghibli working on it. To me it seems to be the perfect material for them.

I'm yet to see a game to film conversion which has been worth the effort of actually sitting down and watching it though so I'm expecting this to be exactly the same crap.

Comment

let's play "guess the game-to-film artistic license"

-The Forbidden Land to be restyled as a post-apocalyptic wasteland circa 2042.

-Wanda will be joined by a team of ragtag sidekicks, including a wise-cracking comic foil and a hinted-at potential love interest.

-Wanda to be renamed 'Warren Blade'

-Collosi (?) to be replaced with zombies.

-Argo to be voiced by Eddie Murphy

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                              at least it'll have a better frame rate than the game
                              Maybe it'll be more entertaining, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X