Learning to play the guitar -advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning to play the guitar -advice

Electric guitar, that is. I did learn this for a short period when I was about 13 or 14, and one of the big things I regret is not seeing that through. My problem back then was that I lacked any real influence from music which used guitars, so I became uninterested.

I'm thinking about starting again though, fueled mainly by my current musical tastes. I want to stress that I'm not going to take it too seriously, I have other more important things to deal with. It's just something I might do in my spare time, for my own leisure.

Does anyone have any advice on where to start, cheap guitars etc?

Buy a cheap acoustic guitar and learn your favourite songs, from tabs (freely available online, via Google)

To be honest it might not be the best way to actually learn it, but progress will be quick and you'll really feel like you're getting somewhere, which is probably important at the start.

EDIT: LOL acoustic? Way to completely miss the point. Buy a cheap electric...!
    Last edited by toythatkills; 20-04-2009, 14:41.

Comment

A cheap Squire Strat might be the way to go - maybe have a look in your local music shops and see if there are any offers on sets for beginers with an amp etc included.

If you're going to teach yourself, I'd recommend picking up tab books for albums you like. That's what I did years ago, and I realised after a while that I'd learned most of the open chord shapes without realising it.

Comment

There's a music store near me actually, which has just opened recently - I'll nip up there and see what they have. I'm going blind into this tbh, I don't really know where to start.

Really, I just want to start having a bit of a laugh playing attempting (and failing) to play my favourite In Flame (for example) stuff, and maybe improve over time, but we'll see.

Comment

not to cheap a guitar though....got a really bad acoustic one and i found it impossible toplay

www.wholenote.com is a good site to learn stuff

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
            not to cheap a guitar though....got a really bad acoustic one and i found it impossible toplay
            That's the thing about starting out though, most people start on cheap rubbish instruments that are hard to play and make learning harder.

I think with a squire or maybe an epiphone you'd get something in a reasonable price range but that would be decent to play.

Comment

This would be good - this shop is just up the road from where I work and they are really good - maybe give that pack a try, although obviously you don't HAVE to buy from them as it would be best to try out a few guitars first. Go to your local guitar shop, tell them that you're looking to take up guitar again. If it is a good shop they should be keen to help you sort out a suitable package for you and let you try a few. Don't be intimidated into buying either - if you don't like the service, leave and try your luck elsewhere. The shop you go to my offer tuition or will be able to point you in the direction of a good local teacher.

Good luck with your search you restarting rock dude

Comment

^That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for! I'll see what the local store has, but otherwise, that's the sort of thing I need.

Obviously you pay for quality. On the other hand, it's hard to justify spending too much on something I'm really going to be tackling in my spare time. My university course is my priority, both in terms of time, and finances. Approx ~£200 is the kind fo range I'm looking at though.

Comment

Originally posted by funkydan View Post
                  This would be good - this shop is just up the road from where I work and they are really good - maybe give that pack a try, although obviously you don't HAVE to buy from them as it would be best to try out a few guitars first. Go to your local guitar shop, tell them that you're looking to take up guitar again. If it is a good shop they should be keen to help you sort out a suitable package for you and let you try a few. Don't be intimidated into buying either - if you don't like the service, leave and try your luck elsewhere. The shop you go to my offer tuition or will be able to point you in the direction of a good local teacher.

Good luck with your search you restarting rock dude
                  That pack looks great, exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of!

Comment

When I started leaning I began with an acoustic and spent £275 on a Tanglewood TW15-NS. I'd read nothing but great things about them and it did me fine. But then me and a guy I work with bought a cheap Yamaha for the office @ around £80 and it's 10x easier to play than the Tanglewood, so a cheap guitar can be great to learn on if you get the right one. The tough thing is knowing what to look out for and feel for when you're just starting out.

I've since spent a fair bit more money on a new acousitc (Martin) and electric (Gibson) and they're both dreamy to play, but that's a different price bracket entirely.

If you're starting with an electric you should be okay ... all I'd say is try and find something with close action (strings are close to the fretboard) and avoid anything with a fat neck.

Comment

All you need to know!

Comment

Is there anything similar to what funkydan posted, but in all black?

Comment

If you're willing to spend some more money, you could get a Yamaha Pacifica 112V and a Roland Microcube from Gak.co.uk and it would knock the socks off the Squier pack.

Or there's the Squier version of the Fender DuoSonic which was one of my favourites.

Or if you'd rather go the acoustic route... The Yamaha FG720 is a winner. I started playing guitar again about 2 years ago after getting one of these for Christmas and it's an awesome guitar. I also own an American Deluxe Fender Telecaster.

If you're serious about learning then it pays to spend a little extra early on rather than buy a piece of **** that'll play poorly and kill any motivation you've got.

Comment

Funny you mention the Yamaha Pacifica, I've had this recommended to me by a few peeps in the know.

At risk of sounding like I'm missing the most important point, it's the exact colour I want. What do people think?

Comment

Shakey..Pic yourself up a cheap 'Washburn' great quality guitars with good options for a beginner and affordable.

Buy yourself a 'learn' to play a song with '3 easy chords'

You'll feel like you are making progress, no musical reading is required, you'll just be following chord boxes, the books will show you how to read them, you'll pick that up easy.

I play guitar and have never been too serious.

From playing 'hit' songs, with easy chords, you will be picking up chords, you'll learn progressions on how chords work and follow without reading music.

To play tab...easy to access off the internet, in my experience I have always found books better as you can read away from the screen, maybe take something in whilst laying in bed.

If you can get to a city library, you'll be-able to borrow such things.

If you want to know anything pacific, please PM and I'll try my best to help, I've played around with guitar for about 10 years now.

Also..if i didn't know, my brother would, he is a serious musician, many bands, some very good too..he's about to study a HND in a musical related course.

Eastyy is ****-hot with guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X