Classic *Premiership* players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic *Premiership* players

I cannot remember why, but I suddenly thought of Noel Whelan the other day. Anyone remember him? That got me thinking of those players that lit up the Premiership for a while - domestic stars. They may or may not have been well-known but real blockbuster players. I don't mean players like Giggs who go into "legend" status, the ones that might have made it had a few things gone their way. I thought of:

G Kinkladze - what a player, amazing close control.
    Darren Huckerby - think he is in MLS now. Very promising as a youngster, well quick.
    T Yeboah - who can forget those goals against Wimbledon and Liverpool?
    Matt Le Tissier - maybe a little too well known for this list but majestic in his prime.
    P Van Hoojidonk - a lot of good free kicks
    S Collymore - most expensive player in the UK and absolutely phenomenal a year either side of the transfer.

Thoughts? I just want a reason to trawl through youtube!

Michael Bridges - Had a couple of quality seasons for Leeds back in the day

Comment

Originally posted by ezee ryder View Post
      Michael Bridges - Had a couple of quality seasons for Leeds back in the day
      OMG he was brilliant at Sunderland and Leeds. Only SuperKev kept him out. I was gutted when he left - he was defo England material. Then injuries absolutely ragged him.

I remember certain players who go through rich veins of form, but are just solid players normally. Lee Hendrie a few years ago scored a succession of belters, then went off the boil. He's in the lower leagues now isn't he?

Little Juninho at the Boro was a classy player.

Jay Jay Okocha wasn't really ever a mega star over here, but for a few seasons, boy, did he have the tricks.

Comment

Faustino Asprilla at Newcastle!

Comment

Kanu's another one.

Comment

Newcastle again, Philippe Albert.

Comment

David Batty, Blackburn when they won it.

Comment

Rob Lee, Newcastle.

Comment

Ruel Fox, Newcastle

Fabrizio Ravanelli, Middlesbrough

Gary McAllister, Liverpool

Dean Holdsworth, Wimbledon.

Comment

Emerson, Middlesbrough.

Comment

Sorry, all these names are just coming flooding back from my memory!

Good shout on Huckerby saif, thought he was going to go on to be a great player when he was at Coventry (I think it was coventry, seem to remember a sky blue kit).

Comment

What about Steve Stone during that period when he looked like he was going to be England's next big thing? Didn't he score a couple in his first two or three England games then slowly vanish?

Comment

Tony Yeboah and Lucas Radebe - Leeds
                          Titi Camara and Patrik Berger - Liverpool
                          Christophe Dugarry - Birmingham
                          Georgi Kinkladze - Man City
                          Juninho - Middlesbrough

Comment

Originally posted by HumanEnergy View Post
                            What about Steve Stone during that period when he looked like he was going to be England's next big thing? Didn't he score a couple in his first two or three England games then slowly vanish?
                            Yeah - Stone, Roy, Collymore, Pearce, and Lars Bohinen - Forest were ok back then. Steve Stone was a baldy. I'll see you back stage Baldy!

Comment

Great memories coming back! Thanks guys.
                              I think some of the players are a little too well-known, maybe they are not.
                              Batty is the kind of player I mean - they won't show up in any record books but they will light up your memories. Of mine, not sure about Stan cos he was a RECORD transfer so it is a little churlish to say he was not as well-known! The Blackburn team had some classic (in style) wingers in Wilcox and Ripley then too.
                              Anyone remember the Norwich City side of the early 90s? Darren Edie, Jeremy Goss, Chris Sutton (an amazing player) and Ruel Fox.
                              Forest had a few as mentioned. I quite like J A Fjortoft for some reason at Swindon. T A Flo at Chelsea was superb too. As was Wanchope sometimes.
                              Great shout on Bridges - Leeds picked up a lot of very good players.
                              Berger was an explosion at the time - but he was a regular international for the then good Czechs. In the same team, Jason McAteer was very energetic at wing-back.
                              Anders Limpar was the single flair player at Arsenal then too.
                              And how could we forget Peter NDLOVU????

Comment

Working...
                              X