Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuart Downing WTF?

So.

He had a couple of good seasons. I'll admit to that, but what exactly has he done this season? 37 games played, 60+ shots on goal and nothing to show for it. He's playing for a team that couldn't score in a brothel yet still gets in the England squad and is rated at £15m!!!

How?

Especially when you have Matty Taylor, who's not only playing for a team higher up in the league, but has also scored 10 league goals this season and had numerous assists.

I really don't get it. Everyone I have spoken to about this says Taylor is the better player, yet he's constantly overlooked despite being the most prolific left footed midfielder in the top flight.

Somebody please explain this to me.
    Last edited by MonkeyJuggleDX; 16-05-2009, 21:14. Reason: I'm a retard who can't spell

Played with Matty Taylor for a few years in Sunday League boys football from about 13-16 yrs old, and he had been on my bro's team for 3 or 4 years before that - he had a cracking shot on him even back then. Probably a bit biased but definitely agree he has deserved a look at various times over the last few years.

Comment

I heard Liverpool have been sniffing around him. I'm not convinced. Reckon he would be a left sided Pennant.

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
        I heard Liverpool have been sniffing around him. I'm not convinced. Reckon he would be a left sided Pennant.
        We're always linked with Downing, but I reckon there's a pretty good chance we'll make a move of some sort for him this time.
        The players we've been linked with so far like Silva, Tevez, Lavezzi etc are probably all out of our reach financially unless we sell Xabi Alonso...so a summer of second choices could be on the cards (again).

Back on topic, I think a decent coach and some top quality players around him could turn Downing into an excellent player. He's not developed at all in the past few seasons, you could argue he's gone backwards.

Think he'll end up at Spurs myself.

Comment

Did he end up with no goals this season? He was still on zero a few weeks back. For an attacking left winger that's bobbins whichever way you look at it.

Comment

I'm not a total downer but I do agree particularly for England he's looked ropey, except for against Germany when he was catually quite decent. Needs a manager to put his arm round him, and players to match.

That said, Matt Taylor is an ace.

Comment

Boro also have Adam Johnson who only gets a game every now and again. We had him on loan at watford for a while last season and he was absolutely superb, setting up and scoring goals so have been really suprised that he hasn't played more for Boro this year considering how few goals they've managed.

Comment

I said this in the England thread the other week, Downing is actualy a big game player, hes often been the reason Middlesborogh have somehow nearly always managed to do pretty damn well against the big teams in the league.

It makes you wonder that if he was playing for a big club, where winning every week is considered vital, he might turn out to be a better player than most imagine him to be.

Comment

Working...
                X