3D Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D Cinema

I reckon its a worth a thread in itself to discuss this now as releases are starting to flow and it adds a whole new angle to the experience, and makes going to the cinema in some cases necessary again.

First film we went to see was Monsters vs Aliens and I was totally blown away by the effect of depth & motion it added to the film. Film itself was pretty average but as a first viewing didn't feel too ripped off as the effect was simply stunning and in places was jaw dropping, almost inducing motion sickness.

I'm an old timer who recalls watching Freddy Kruger with those poxy red/blue lenses, I believe these now are using the same tech you see on rides in Florida like Spiderman and Shrek, some fancy polarizing lenses that each let in a different image.

Yesterday we saw Coraline, I'm a huge fan of the Henry Sellick puppet style and the use of 3d was very subtle in this, no poking a stick out the screen at you etc, for me it just added a huge extra sheen to the simply beautiful look of the visuals and made for a brilliant experience. The 3d wasn't as 'in your face' as Monsters vs Aliens and just augmented an already wonderful film.

What will be interesting to see over time is how this works with different types of films, The Jonas Brothers trailer in 3d looked really weird, like there were distinct layers to the depth of field, pure CGI films looks amazing and really deep, the puppet stop-motion stuff looked great but it was more subtle.

Anyway, worth a thread to discuss, I really think for a year or 2 anyway the cinema has a great tool for certain kinds of films anyway to get people back in and to kill the mobile phone pirates.

The 2 horror films so far have been rubbish but theres a new 3D Final Destination coming so looking forward to that.

Would love Saw, too.

Monsters vs Aliens is the best I've seen so far, as well.

Comment

Went to see Monsters Vs Aliens which is the first one I've seen in Real D. Personally, I didn't find it to be too different from past films I've seen in 3D. By the end of it I still had the usual mild eye strain. It's good to see a stronger emphasis on developing it as a tech though I'm not sure I agree with the idea that has been thrown around of it eventually becoming an industry standard as not every film needs it, especially when it still results in some 3D tricks that look like bad directing when translated onto the TV at home in 2D.

That and most cinema's increasing the ticket price when it's 3D. There's potential though.

Comment

Yeah I've seen every Real D film so far and it used to be included with my cineworld card. Now, though, I have to pay ?1.50 extra.

It's a hell of a lot better than red/blue but I do hope it doesnt get too oversaturated. Can't wait to see Up in 3D, either. Pixar will do something brilliant.

Comment

in their defence they are having to stick brand new double projectors in to show the 3d films so can see why its not free to walk up punters, seems a bit of a rip to charge cineworld cardholders though

I'm not sure it works with real footage that well and agree not every film needs it.

I'm most looking forward to Up as well, then Avatar.

Comment

Weren't the old cardboard 3D glasses red and green? Could they be red and blue too back in the day? Liking the new clear lens Real D specs, although I wear glasses myself and so these new ones were halfway down my nose and tickling it like crazy!

We loved Coraline 3D but thought it strange when exiting the screen that the cinema provided no bins in which to hand back the specs! We have Cineworld cards too CMM, but they seemed to forget to charge us the surcharge when we went to Coraline

This whole 3D resurgence is how the film companies hope to combat in-cinema piracy is it not. Unless the little man in there with the camera is willing to glue a pair of these glasses over the lens of his camcorder, they could be on to something, but only if every film from here on in is released in 3D!

Comment

Hmmm, yeah cineworld are back and forth on the 3D charge thing but at an extra £1.50 I can't say I was too bothered. As Merf said, they have installed 3 3D projectors (3 lenses at once make up the image) so I don't mind paying towards that. On top of that most people won't have access to it so its all good.

I agree animation looks better but I enjoyed the look of My Bloody Valentine though the film was ****e. Scar was as well... Hopefully they'll do a better real film with Final Destination.

Oh, and I kind of lied when I said that I've seen all 3D films - gave Space Chimps a miss because it looked freaky and I highly doubt I'll see Jonas Brothers!!

Comment

Its Avatar that im looking forward to the most.
                The thing that bothers me about 3D cinema is that, as a person who wears glasses...how the hell do i wear 3D glasses? Over the top? Or do i do the insane and wear my glasses over the top of the 3D glasses? What do other people here do?

Comment

As I said above ():

"Liking the new clear lens Real D specs, although I wear glasses myself and so these new ones were halfway down my nose and tickling it like crazy!"

They work fine though and the ticklishness thing went after about 10 minutes. I wore them OVER my glasses.

Comment

i wear them over the top of my glasses too, not a problem but guess it depends somewhat on the size and thickness of your frames, wouldn't work that well if you were sweating either as they'd slide off.

i suspect the novelty may wear off but at the moment I'm so transfixed by the images that I forget in no time I've got 2 pairs on.

I can't recall anything that had me grinning like a 5y old as much as the jumping mouse circus scene in Coraline.

Comment

Ice Age 3 watched today for the latest 3d experience, decent enough film and some lovely use of 3d in there, it really makes these 'school holiday specials' a lot more enjoyable for me.

Comment

Seeing Ice Age on Wednesday, followed by Harry Potter - a little treat for my sister

Comment

it does look amaxing but I've never seen a film so blatantly structured like a videogame.

Comment

I’ve never seen a 3D film before, apart from the bloody awful Jaws 3D at home, and almost all original films made about being in 3D have looked bloody awful.

There are only two exceptions to that, T2 Battle Through Time which I’ve never been able to see as I believe it’s only at Universal in Florida and the frankly stunning looking Avatar.

I was hesitant about 3D and when I heard James Cameron was looking into it my interest was piped. After seeing The Dark Knight in IMAX I had my eyes opened to how good film can look at such a resolution through a new camera. Now, after reading that Empire interview and feature about the film, I can not bloody wait to see it.

I really hope James Cameron can nail not only 3D, not only lifelike CGI but also to weave an interesting and unique film through it. If anyone can, James Cameron can and I’ll be their with tickets at IMAX on the public opening!

Also my 3000th post on the forum!
                            Last edited by Wools; 12-07-2009, 20:17.

Comment

It may be I have crap depth perception but 3D glasses give me double vision unless I make an effort to focus my eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X