Classic anime: Cyber City Oedo 808

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic anime: Cyber City Oedo 808

Don't ask me why but I dug out my old CD soundtrack to this classic anime release this morning and I'd forgotten just how amazing it is.

I got rid of my Manga Video VHS tapes ages ago and I've been looking to pick it up on DVD, but I've been a bit disappointed to discover that while the version available now has the fantastic English dub (which features that ginger-haired chap from The Bill as David Bowie-lookalike Benten), Rory McFarlane's awesome revised score is missing and the original Japanese music remains. Shame.

If you've never experienced this amazing series then check this out:

Makes me realise just how terrible anime is these days

To be fair, the 80's had a lot of violent cyberpunk OVAs and at the moment, OVAs aren't too huge (there's very little around that isn't an existing TV series). There was an awful lot of complete and utter tosh around that time that people tend to forget about though. Genocyber, Apocalypse Zero, Odin.

It's a shame so little Seinen shows get made though (although some Seinen really goes out of it's way to be bleak and miserable)

Comment

Been looking out for this on DVD for ages now, but I always have trouble finding it. If anyone can point me in the right direction...

Duddy, you saying that Manga Video did a revised score for this? And it was good?!

Comment

Incidentally, if you're a fan of UK dubs, check out the British Nuku Nuku dub : http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/ca...8470576ZxpyJjh

Comment

I'v still got a box of VHS Manga tapes in the garage. Those were the days!

Off the top of my head I have:

Appleseed
          Akira
          Vampire Hunter D
          Battle Angel Alita
          The Wind of Amnesia
          Space Adventure Cobra
          Legend of the Overfiend (yes the one with the "tongue rape!"

I'm also sure I had some Cyber City taped off of Channel 4, and Devilman

I'm going to go and have a look later

Comment

Don't forget Violence Jack (which is actually the sequel to devilman).

I know a lot of it was complete crap but I miss cyberpunk

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuo View Post
              Duddy, you saying that Manga Video did a revised score for this? And it was good?!
              Yup, it blows away the Japanese original. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post

I know a lot of it was complete crap but I miss cyberpunk
                I'm SURE I have Violence Jack on DVD but have never watched it. I used to get loads of these films at knock down prices and I'v just stock piled them!

Comment

We were talking about this at work a few months ago, really need to see Cyber City Oedo again one of these days.

I always thought Manga's music for the orginal Domnion: Tank Police OVA was better than the Japanese.

Comment

I got Dominion Tank Police on DVD from a pound shop in Tenby (Wales) whilst on holiday last year. It's still sealed, I've never actually bothered to watch it cos I've seen it on VHS so many times it is etched in my memory.

Comment

Keep your body movin, keep your body grooven

aaaAAAaaAAAAaaaAAAaaaaaaaaah

Incidentally the guitar riff on the old Manga Ads was awesome, anyone know what it was called/from?

Comment

Dunno, but I used to love it!

I need to get Venus Wars again!

Comment

Last edited by SharkSkin-Man; 29-05-2009, 16:22.

Comment

****ing looooove Cyber City. Got to love the use of mother ****ing expletives in that mother ****ing classic.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                              Really???

You know what I never knew that.

I still have a chunk of my old Manga VHS in my parents loft...may have to take a peek over the weekend as to whats there, really hope they havent been spoilt by being left up there.

From memory though I think I have...

Crying Freeman 1-6
                              Guyver (Full series about 9 tapes I think)
                              Dangaioh
                              Devilman
                              Fist of the North Star
                              Dominion Tank Police
                              Project A-Ko
                              Vampire Hunter D
                              Lensman
                              Venus Wars

Will get a deffinite list over the weekend though

I loved the old Manga stuff.
                              Used to buy every new release on launch day from my local independent video store - Adrians in Wickford.
                              Used to look forward to the bike ride there to pick them up then the race home to watch them
                              Oh & was I the only one who actually stuck the stickers that came in each volume on the tapes??

Neil

Comment

Working...
                              X