Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drag Me To Hell

Well, it was... wow...

Another misfire for AICN's reviewing. From the trailer and the positive buzz this looked like a winner. Instead it's what I can only describe as stupid. In a nutshell we are introduced to our lead just before she is cursed to burn in eternal hell for turning down a loan extension. Now if you think the punishment seems harsh for the crime you should see the intro. What follows is a race against time as she fights off an old woman, a handkerchief and a talking goat to save her soul.

Just as the Spiderman films found Raimi using the horror camera tricks he'd learnt to use, here he uses many Spiderman camera tricks which don't fit. There are many stabs at humour (at least I hope they were intentional) which widely miss the mark and if you scare easily don't worry... nearly every jump is clearly marked before it happens. Even the highlighted car park sequence in some reviews descends into uncomfortable farce.

I'm still sure a fun Evil Dead 4 could be made by Raimi but this fails at it. And if it's not an attempt at a comedy horror? Good god.

My most disappointing film of 2009

I loved it it was a spooky rollercoaster that did not let up, with a cracking ending
    Rami redeems himself after the Spider-man mess

Comment

I thought it was excellent! Didn't expect much - the trailer pretty much shows the whole film, which should be illegal but that's another topic.

I can't recall a film ever mixing comedy and horror successfully; this doesn't just pull off that seemingly impossible trick, but it does it incredibly well. This has moments of creepiness, and some wonderfully comic gore. Very effective. Best horror I've seen in years.

Sure, it's all By The Numbers and you can see where it's all going, but the skill used in pulling it off is quite brilliant.

A great cinema experience with a good crowd as well

Comment

I'm looking forward to this one but going to the cinema by myself is meh...

Gonna be a decent year for horror though.

Nightmare on Elm Street, The final Destination, Hellraiser. At least one of them has to be reasonable. Shame it's going to be a couple of years until Del Toro's Mountains of Madness (it's a crime the only decent Lovecraft adaptation is Re-Animator)

Comment

i agree with the OP, it was okay and a let down by Raimi

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
            I'm looking forward to this one but going to the cinema by myself is meh...
            Don't be such a girl. Get yerself to the flicks. You've surely watched films on your own at home, so what's the difference? Alright, admittedly it's hard the first time. You do feel the need to walk up to strangers and tell them that you're not a serial killer, that you do indeed have friends, a partner, or whatever, but once you get past that initial mental reservation, it can be quite a liberating feeling. ****, I would've missed out on loads of great experiences at the cinema if I'd been relying on other people to hold my hand and accompany me.

Whatever you do, for your own safety, just don't make eye contact with other blokes who are on their own. They are probably serial killers, and will most likely try and bum you if you go to the toilet, so don't go to the toilet either. Piss in your milkshake if needs must.

Anyway, it's a fun movie. It lays it on a bit thick with the CGI at times, and sadly there's no Bruce, but I think it's probably as close to a new Evil Dead flick as we're ever likely to get.

Comment

Not seen this yet, will do one night next week, only just realised that the Last House on the Left remake is in the cinema's in a couple of weeks, got to see that, even though the reviews haven't been great.

Comment

I thought it was a good laugh but highly overrated, i don't get scared by horror flicks but i can tell what the kind of reactions i should be expecting. But in this, i didn't find any particular chilling moments. Alot of sequences were very Evil Dead 2, some of them even referencing it if i'm being correct, which detracts from it tbh i really wanted it to be its own thing.

He should just go out and make a proper new Evil Dead out of the way to get it out of his system.

I liked the ending.

Seriously overhyped, but good nonetheless. 7/10.

Comment

It was a theatrical masterpiece that has to be enjoyed with an audience for maximum effect. I loved it to bits.

Comment

Saw this last night and loved it. Fans of Raimi's earlier work will get a real kick out of it, especially the scenes that harken back to Evil Dead. Anyone that goes in taking it seriously is completely missing the point, the tone of the film is similar to Evil Dead 2. I was sitting next to a couple of girls that screamed at every "jump scare" which in normal circumstances would annoy the **** out of me but it actually added to the experience which is one of the better ones I've had in a while. The fact that the sound system in the screen I watched the film in was great helped a lot as the sound in the film is also excellent. Only thing that disappointed me slightly was the lack of a Bruce Campbell cameo.

Comment

The oldsmobile was in it tho

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmike View Post
                        The oldsmobile was in it tho
                        Yeah it was hard to miss really. I did miss Ted Raimi though, he's billed as a doctor in the credits.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisa View Post
                          Only thing that disappointed me slightly was the lack of a Bruce Campbell cameo.
                          he was asked to be in it, but had other commitments elsewhere

Comment

This was fantastic. My girl is properly traumatised while I thought it was great fun.

Comment

Originally posted by spagmasterswift View Post
                              This was fantastic. My girl is properly traumatised while I thought it was great fun.
                              please tell me you're referring to your girlfriend

Comment

Working...
                              X