Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning to drive...

Afternoon.

So finally I'm getting around to doing what I should have done years ago and will be learning to drive. Just really wondering if anyone has any useful tips and also if anyone has used any of the big schools to learn (AA, RAC etc) and what they are like, any good etc?

Cheers!

I did it in a week with an intensive course. Started on Monday and passed my test on Friday. It was 1987 though so no theory etc.

Comment

I used an independent, the bigger schools of motoring tend to want you to take loads of unnecessary lessons.
      My advice would be, buy a copy of the highway code, and a theory test book. And just revise loads. Once the theory is done, the rest comes easily.

Comment

Cheers chaps

Also something about a hazard perception test now I do believe, so will have to look into it.

Do you reckon any of those PC theory things you can get - the interactive ones etc, would be a good addition to a book?

Comment

Yeah, you can probably also find a hazard perception test somewhere either online or in software form. I passed my test in 1999, so didn't have hazard perception.

Comment

The hazard perception test is... odd

It's not entirely clear how bad a hazard has to be for you to press the button. I got a zero for one of the videos because I pressed it too much. Still easily passed my theory though.

Comment

My Advise is to get the theory out the way first, just revise revise revise every night until you've passed it. Then go onto your practical lessons.

I went with an independent at first, a few actually, and found them next next to useless to be honest, and got no where with them. Had lessons with an independents for 2 years (on and off due to work, being out the country and what not) and just didn't seem to get anywhere. I changed to the AA and passed within 4 weeks.

Comment

The theory test isn't all that hard, just cram for a few nights before hand. Most of the stuff you can deduce from common sense. Always make sure you memorise the stopping distances though, they next to always come up.

Comment

This is something I'll be getting sorted this year (have put it off for a while due to not needing to drive up until now, plus didn't want the hassle or expense of running a car). I'd recommend grabbing the following myself:

Cashback from over 400 brands all on one platform. Shop with Rakuten & stack offers with discounts, voucher codes and cashback for great savings at top brands.

Have the slightly earlier version myself (2008) but can say it pretty much covers everything, has tons of content including plenty of hazard perception clips (over 200 I think). Definitely worth a look.

Comment

I learnt with the AA in 2002 and had a good experience. You get a year's AA coverage for when you get your licence (when I did it you did, at least) and the instructor was very good. I took two-hour lessons, which I'd recommend as it gives you time to go further and get a wider experience of different roads. I took my first lesson at the beginning of October and passed my test first time in the first week of January, so there wasn't really any sense that I was being pushed for extra lessons.

I got through before hazard perception came in so I can't speak for that, but the theory is easy. Get a book or a CD-ROM with all the questions on if you like, but a lot of it is common sense and as long as you make sure to know stuff like braking distances and what signs mean you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                      The theory test isn't all that hard, just cram for a few nights before hand. Most of the stuff you can deduce from common sense. Always make sure you memorise the stopping distances though, they next to always come up.
                      I can vouch for this, crammed all my revision for the theory in under a week and got full marks on the questions and only dropped a few on the hazard perception.

That was only last year too.

Comment

Well yes as has been said, theory is mostly common sense and I don't expect to have any issues there personally. The part that you can screw up on and get a fail is the hazard perception.

Comment

I'll be learning to drive next year hopefully, so I've got all this to look forward too (hadn't even heard of the hazard perception bit).

Good luck with your learning Friction!

Comment

Just out of curiosity...what do you do in hazard perception test? Here in Italy we have two exams, one theorical (twenty questions with three answers to chose from) and one practical session.

Comment

You watch a video and have to press a button whenever you either spot a hazard or an existing hazard gets worse. It's incredibly vague

Comment

Working...
                              X